Which Lens Should I Get.......canon Eos 40d

colliehound

Hi Folks

I need some help from the experts. I am a happy snapper, with a Canon EOS 40D. I take lots of dog photos and usually action shots which is why I got this camera with it's fast shutter options.

I have an EF 70-200 USM F2.8 lens which takes the most amazing crisp photos. It blurs the background so that the subject is clear as can be.

What would you recommend that will do the exact same thing - but won't require me to stand three streets away to take the shots? :cheer:

I am after an everyday lens for general photos. But same quality as the first lens in terms of results.

I currently have an EF 17-85 as a day to day lens, which is good, but not as amazing as the 70-200. (Neither was the price mind you).

Any ideas?

Thanks

Canon's 17-55 2.8 IS is an awesome lens and I really like the range if you don't need reach. I would not be without mine.

Another choice that is very very good and less than the zoom above is Sigma's 17-70. Very versatile, fast to focus, sharp through its apertures. Pleasing backgrounds.

Canon's 85 1.8 is a great action lens, too. It will give you what you need in terms of DOF and nice backgrounds. It's the lens of choice for that focal length unless you are doing more studio work and have an extra million to spend (85L 1.2) because the L actually doesn't focus as quickly. The 85 1.8 is excellent bang for buck and I like the length on a crop, myself.

If you don't need reach at all, get the Sigma 30 1.4. Don't hesitate, just get it. It's wonderful - fast, sharp wide open, nice bokeh. But you have to be able to get closer to your subjects that you are probably used to.

BTW any lens will allow you to use fast shutter speeds (assuming you have enough light) and shoot in high burst mode - the body determines these things. If you're looking for "blurry" backgrounds, it's apertures that are key (shooting at 1.8 gives a better blur than at f8)

Go to POTN and the lens archives -> Click here for main menu

Then scroll for the specific lenses.

Frankly, I'm not sure how much good it will do you overall - they are all fab choices so it's more about what focal length, budget & zoom/prime choice you prefer :(

It will be a good exercise if you aren't really sure of the types of scenes etc a particular focal length is used for - I like to scroll through now and again coz someone always uses a lens in a way I hadn't considered or had forgotten about!