Tick Protection

dee lee

We are going away on Sunday and have just decided that we will take Honey with us (she was previously going to stay behind with OH). :cheer:

Im very happy about this but have realised I am going to have to get some tick protection for her as its a fairly bushy area.

We dont live in a tick risky area so Im a bit clueless, what should I use/do?

We are going away on Sunday and have just decided that we will take Honey with us (she was previously going to stay behind with OH). :cheer:

Im very happy about this but have realised I am going to have to get some tick protection for her as its a fairly bushy area.

We dont live in a tick risky area so Im a bit clueless, what should I use/do?

Hi Deelee

I have always used Advantix on my Kees and Shelties. It works against ticks for 2 weeks according to the packet (4 weeks for fleas).

Have a great trip - it's fun taking the puppies with you on holidays, although does take a bit more careful planning and a crate is fantastic for the just in case situations.

Hi Deelee

I have always used Advantix on my Kees and Shelties. It works against ticks for 2 weeks according to the packet (4 weeks for fleas).

Have a great trip - it's fun taking the puppies with you on holidays, although does take a bit more careful planning and a crate is fantastic for the just in case situations.

Thanks Tali, :cheer:

I have just applied Advocate a couple of days ago, can I give her the advantix on top of that do you know?

Just done a search on here for tick prevention (yeah I know i should have done that first- but hey it is NY day... :cheer: ) and I'm thinking Proban is the way to go. It cant be used with some other treatments though, does anyone know if it can be used in conjunction with Advocate?

We are going to the beach so I'm concerned a permoxin wash will be less effective.

Just done a search on here for tick prevention (yeah I know i should have done that first- but hey it is NY day... :cheer: ) and I'm thinking Proban is the way to go. It cant be used with some other treatments though, does anyone know if it can be used in conjunction with Advocate?

We are going to the beach so I'm concerned a permoxin wash will be less effective.

Proban can be used with frontline. You still must check your dog everyday for ticks and they are hard to find. I lost a dog to two ticks and she was on frontline, also keep checking when you get home as they can take a while to be noticed. A lot of good tick info in the health and nutrition section. Have a great holiday.

Hi

We use Avantix as well, we still nearly lost our boy a few years back.

We think the tick may have already been on him and it slowed it down. I was pretty cranky as I thought it still should have killed the tick.

The best prevention is to go over your animals, especially behind the ears, on the throat and under the armpits.

I do live in a tick area! I use Frontline Spray (more cost effective & lasts longer than 2wkly spot on), I also have Kiltix collars on the dogs.

Unfortunately there are no 100% fool proof method. Your fingers are the best things in preventing tick poisoning & daily checks :(

If it's a tick area I like to use two things at once. Like a top spot + tick collar. Or top spot + tick wash. But you MUST make sure the two can be used with each other and the best person to ask is the Vet. Don't use two things together without the Vet's ok. You're going to the beach so a tick collar might not be the best option, but your Vet will let you know. If you can do a tick wash after you get home (as long as the Vet says it's ok to do that with whatever else you're using) it will help because it can get into the areas that are harder to spot ticks. I like to do a tick wash at the Vet's as the hydrobath can get it right into the coat, just be careful around the ears/eyes/face. I carefully use a cloth to get it around the ears.

The other thing you should do is check the dog regularly, at least twice a day in tick areas. They can even get between toes and up noses.

Edited by TobyPup

Just done a search on here for tick prevention (yeah I know i should have done that first- but hey it is NY day... :( ) and I'm thinking Proban is the way to go.

I used Proban last year for ticks and fleas and found it was at least two weeks before it started working for the fleas. I would worry that the Proban won't have reached full efficacy within one week.

I would apply Advantix on Saturday and just check daily. I am in a high tick area and Advantix seems to work well. Little buggers are definitely about. I've just been out in the garden and Wilma the puppy came towards me with one crawling around on her head.

Ugh. Now Im not sure what to do! :angeldevil:

I still have the problem that I only just gave her a dose of advocate on Tuesday so I dont know if i should be giving her another product like Advantix.

I guess I will call the Vet tomorrow and ask them.

Ugh. Now Im not sure what to do! :rofl:

I still have the problem that I only just gave her a dose of advocate on Tuesday so I dont know if i should be giving her another product like Advantix.

I guess I will call the Vet tomorrow and ask them.

The best thing to do is talk to your vet. I do know that Proban cannot be used with any other organophoshates.

Just dropped into the vet- Advocate is fine with Proban. :laugh:

Even better I was able to buy it by the tablet. She has been dosed up and I will be vigilantly checking daily as well.

Cant use Advantix as we have a cat and apparently it is toxic to them even if the dog just rubs up against the couch then the cat does! :laugh:

They are both inside pets so its a big risk.

Thanks for the advice!

Off on our big adventure tomorrow. :rofl:

Did they mention there was a period for the Proban to build up and start working?

I think Advantix would still be your best option. Proban will still allow the tick to attach which in some cases can still be detrimental. I recently trialled a Saint Bernard who had a tick attach for only a few hours....... one week and $1500 later :rofl: Dogs can have severe reactions to them. Check yourself over too - I'm allergic to them, it seems a lot of people are starting to become allergic too.

Advantix will help prevent the tick from attaching, then if it gets through the Advantix repellant it then kills the attached tick such as Frontline and Proban. To me it feels as though it is a double preventative.

Edited by Clyde

I had thought that too :rofl: A lot of people with weekenders out this way use it just for holidays - I can remember calling my vet though complaining that the Proban wasn't working and they said it could take some time to take full effect :laugh: It eventually did after about 3 weeks.

Unfortunately because of our cat Advantix just wasnt an option. I asked about a 100 questions and it just seemed too risky. :D

The vet also said that because she will be swimming a lot that the effectiveness of it will be diminished.

They advised us to take the Proban immediately and said it should be fine for tomorrow.

Clyde, you said before that the fleas didnt go away, is it possible that the tick part of the medication worked quicker?

Personally, I have yet to find a product that works quickly for fleas.

At any rate I was given a good lesson on checking for ticks and will be investigating where the closest vet is when we get there, just in case. ;)

Kivi wears a Preventic collar over the summer months. I'm totally paranoid with his coat, and we have possums in the yard and so on. Before tick collars and spot ons I used to brush Penny after every hike in the bush. I got several ticks off her that way. They would be on her coat crawling around but not yet attached.

Have fun! :D Holidaying with dogs is the best. Now that we have a big car, we're planning some camping trips with the doggies.