As I Walk Through My Suburb

poodlefan

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dogs never get walked off leash, we dont have an off leash park up here.

But I we are constantly followed by unleashed dogs.

Bob gets frightend and barks because he was attacked by a pair of labs.

Both my terriers will have a go if they are pushed.

And being constantly followed by roaming dogs doesnt make our walks much fun.

This town is full of idiot dog owners who think it would be good to make some cash from their dog.

A women in my class has two bitches that she breeds everyyear.

They are crossbreeds, but she makes about $200 a pup so that is ok with her.

She told me yesterday she has more pups forsale.

I want to run away screaming sometimes.

Having such a big dog, I keep my Newf on lead unless it is a designated 'off leash' area. Sometimes I wish I could be like everyone else and just let him go off leash in 'on leash' dog areas, cause he would have so much fun and I trust him on recall, but I see it as inconsiderate to other park users who may not be particularly doggy themselves. I remember being shocked when I was walking my dog on leash in an 'dogs on leash' area of the park when a woman's dog ran right up to mine. Then it's owner yelled at me (there was no need to yell) 'is your dog aggressive?' very accussingly. No, my dog is not aggressive, and if you're worried then don't let your dog run up to others, especially when it should be on the lead!!

It's probably a good thing you do this...since you would be breaking the law if you had him offleash in an onleash area...then you would be one of the owners we all bitch about!!! :(

Besides, if anything were to happen (to your dog or to someone elses) you would have the law on your side if you were doing the right thing, whilst they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

It's very frustrating when you try so hard to do the right thing, whilst everyone else does the wrong thing, but hey, that's what distinguishes the responsible dog owners from those who are not so responsible.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, two more pins in my voodoo doll tonight.

About an hour into our walk I'm walking down a path in one of the green zones when up the path come a young couple with a pram and two offlead dogs - BC mix and what looks to be a Sibe mix. I keep walking and both dogs notice us. As we get closer, the Sibe mix stares, freezes and then rushes us.

Male of the couple has been whistling the dogs and as the sibe mix rushes, calls its name with a slight edge of panic in his voice. I've picked Darcy (dog aggressive when cornered) up, channelled Troy and Chuck Norris and am readying myself to roundhouse kick this dog into the next suburb.

Sibe X runs around us, with BC now with it and I'm rapidly reduced to a maypole of leads with a leaping Whippet trying to get loose. Eventually he does.

"Oh dear" says the female of the pair "you're in a bit of trouble, would you like some help"?

"No thanks" say I (somewhat narkily) "what I'd really like is for you to leash your dogs and get going".

Male of the couple cranks up his testosterone and steps up. "This is an offleash area" he proclaims.

"Irregardless" say I "you are still required to have your dogs under control".

"They ARE under control" he says.

"Yes" say I [laying on the sarcasm] "I noticed their instant response to your whistles and calls"

At that point they move off, no doubt noting the uncanny similarity between yours truly and a female dog of low intellect.

Seriously what part of a person walking multiple dogs onlead makes anyone conclude that their dogs rushing into the middle of them will be welcomed?? :hug:

The only good thing about the encounter is that the other dogs took one look at Howie's mad zoomies and removed themselves to a safe distance. :cheer:

Edited by poodlefan

I know it's no consolation pf, but we had a lovely peaceful walk tonight. The only yoyo with offleash dogs in the on-leash part of it took one look at the girls coming towards him (on-lead) and decided to turn down a side street. Or maybe it was seeing me coming towards him...not sure...

I know it's no consolation pf, but we had a lovely peaceful walk tonight. The only yoyo with offleash dogs in the on-leash part of it took one look at the girls coming towards him (on-lead) and decided to turn down a side street. Or maybe it was seeing me coming towards him...not sure...

I do wonder if owners would be quite so casual about allowing their dogs to rush a "tough" breed. :)

Oh, and Howie now has a bloody torn pad.. no doubt caused by leaping around trying to get free. :cry::

Edited by poodlefan

Guest Willow
I do wonder if owners would be quite so casual about allowing their dogs to rush a "tough" breed. :cry:

Sadly, they seem to be......I have lost count of the times my male Stafford has been rushed. I walk him with my SWF, people make assumptions & just let their dogs go.

I do wonder if owners would be quite so casual about allowing their dogs to rush a "tough" breed. :hug:

My GSD was attacked by two dogs on Sunday. Why the dogs were off-leash is beyond me, they were in an adjacent park but they left the park to cross a busy road and attack us. Perhaps it was the first time? I don't know. I think they were set-off by two fence-fighting dogs we were passing at the time.

I was very proud of Sabella, she briefly defended herself when necessary, but other than that was not fazed at all.

I do wonder if owners would be quite so casual about allowing their dogs to rush a "tough" breed. :hug:

My GSD was attacked by two dogs on Sunday. Why the dogs were off-leash is beyond me, they were in an adjacent park but they left the park to cross a busy road and attack us. Perhaps it was the first time? I don't know. I think they were set-off by two fence-fighting dogs we were passing at the time.

I was very proud of Sabella, she briefly defended herself when necessary, but other than that was not fazed at all.

I hope she's OK Aidan. Sadly my oldest boy is coping less and less well with these sorts of incidents. Maybe I'll have to stick to walking next to busy roads - only the terminally stupid walk their dogs offlead by those.

Edited by poodlefan

Not offlead but I was giving my entire male amstaff belly rubs when this woman lets her large entire male dog which was onlead come over and start licking Busters balls! :(

I gave her a look like she was mad and she just laughed and said her dog must be gay...... well Buster either didn't notice or enjoyed it because he didn't move off his back :hug:

I do wonder if owners would be quite so casual about allowing their dogs to rush a "tough" breed. :laugh:

I hope she's OK Aidan. Sadly my oldest boy is coping less and less well with these sorts of incidents. Maybe I'll have to stick to walking next to busy roads - only the terminally stupid walk their dogs offlead by those.

She's fine, thankfully we were able to frighten one of them off and the other lost confidence just long enough for the owners to catch up.

Mine were attacked by 2 loose and unaccompanied adult GSD's a few months back. Scarey! Fortunately they handled it well and fought back enough to make the other dogs step back and think twice, because there was no-one else in sight to help.

Glad you are all OK.

Edited by Diva

The other day I waa walking a large GSP (on a lead) through the park and 3 SWF's started barking and rushing up to her! The owners did absolutely nothing and couldn't care less even though it was obvious I didn't want them anywhere near her. They followed us (yapping and carrying on the whole way) for about 700m, the owners didn't even bother to call them back. It was even more annoying because on weekends (which it was) dogs are meant to be on leash at that park due to families being there etc.

What kind of person would let their little dogs run up to a completely unknown large dog and provoke them? I would be worried about the dogs safety.

What kind of person would let their little dogs run up to a completely unknown large dog and provoke them? I would be worried about the dogs safety.

I get the same thing with my GSD - luckily she's pretty bomb proof but it's not like they know that.