As I Walk Through My Suburb

poodlefan

How bloody awful for everyone!

I too have a dog that is not keen on dogs, esp little ones, in her face. I do have control of her and we go to an offlead beach with our 3 dogs and have never had an incident in nearly 4 years (her age). But, I've lost count of the number of people who walk ahead of their dogs and have no idea where their dogs are or what they are doing. We have so many little dogs follow us and get in my dogs' faces. I always call mine next to me or else run ahead with them to get mine away from the 'roamers'.

Sometimes I ask the owners to call theirs as I end up followed by several dogs, but the owners have no interest :) It's very frustrating. It makes for a less than relaxing experience and my dogs LOVE the beach and do not wish to 'play' with anyone else.

BTW, I have nothing against small dogs, I have had many myself, all very well behaved EXCEPT a rescue SWF(who was never ever offlead) who thought he was a giant breed and would try anything :thumbsup: so I picked him up everytime another dog entered our 'sphere', then would get told off as people thought I was frightened of their large dog eating mine, no, I was afraid mine would attack the large dog and be killed for being an idiot! You can't win.

It's got to the stage where I never explain anymore, I just say that my slightly fearful dog will eat theirs (quickest way to scatter them is just SHE BITES) not true, but nothing else gets listened to.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not an idiot I don't think. Just someone who hasn't thought it through. Honestly, the dog didn't look like the type to meekly accept another dog having a go at him.

Last dog that got in Darcy's face was all prepared to have a serious go back before I grabbed the lead off the kid and strung it up. :thumbsup:

But who'd want to encourage a dog to behave aggressively anyway? :) It's not the first time I've had someone say something along the lines of "mine needs to be taught". Not by my dog they don't.

I think a few years ago I met the BIGGEST IDIOT ever!!!

My GSDX has issues..

We have all the Dangerous Dog Warning signs on our gate/fences (because of the restrcition laws) and our yard is secure.

A few years ago my GSDX was going beserk and looking out the window I notice 3 young boys (7yo-9yo) IN my front yard, kicking my fence and going "pssssss, pssssss" to a staffy pup, which is also going beserk at the fence.

I yelled out and told them to get out of my yard. Next thing I know my dog is at the driveway going beserk. (I live on a corner so the kids just walked around the house and up my driveway and were kicking my gate)

I yelled out again and they took off.

This began happening almost everyday, with the kids running down the hill giggling each time I yelled.

One Sunday I was outside and heard the usual noise so I walked round the house and called out to the kids.

They came over and I asked about their dog. They said her name was Zoey and about 4 months old.

I asked if they loved Zoey and they said Yes. I said "well if you keep teasing that dog and it gets out, it will kill Zoey." One kid sticks his chest out and replies "I'll kick it in the head" I said "It will bite you too, it hates kids"

The next day they returned as usual!!!!!!! When I went out they stood on the path and yelled out to me ""Our dad says if your dog gets out and attacks us,,,he will have it shot and we will sue you and get heaps of money""

YEAH!!!! That's a quick way to get a few dollars...Let your kids provoke a large dog, get attacked and sue the owners!!!!!

BARGAIN!!!!

I had to phone the Rangers who came and took a statement then went to visit the parents of the children.

The Rangers told them IF the kids were continually teasing and provoking my dog and something DID happen, they would have NO right to sue and in fact I could actually have them charged and sue them.

At which point the father says ""The kids don't mean to go in the yard, the pup drags them in there"

The Ranger then told them if the children could NOT keep control of the dog, then the children (by law) were NOT allowed to walk the dog, without supervision.

The father said he and mother didn't have time to walk the dog and as they had no yard it needed to be walked each day.

Ranger told them to either make time, move and get a yard, or get rid of the dog, but under NO circumstances could they allow the children to walk the dog anymore.

Soon after the father (with kids in tow) began walking past my house throwing rocks over the fence at my dog, yelling out abuses and telling me next time he'd throw a bait over the fence, not a rock. I put up with it for 3 days and called the police. Haven't seen the father, kids or dog since.

How can a parent allow thier children to be in danger and only think of the $$$$ they may get in a law suit???

Last year my dogs (all on lead) were attacked by an off leash Kelpie x, it went for my old blind dogs throat. I broke my thumb grabbing the dog by the scruff and holding it at bay to stop it attacking my dogs and also biting me. Some council workers came over to help me (and also called the ranger) when they heard me yelling at the owner, who was walking ahead oblivious to what his dog was doing.

Mine are now dog agressive when a dog is running at them. :) I am trying to retrain them to focus back on me and not off lead dogs.

I now say to off lead dog owners, "best put your dog on a lead - the rangers are here and fining anyone with an off lead dog".:thumbsup:

I am so sick of moronic dog owners who ruin it for responsible dog owners.

I was very polite the other night and didn't have a go at this owner despite high provocation, so maybe I'll join in your new year's resolution pf.

We were walking along a footpath that edges an off-lead area - the footpath isn't off lead and people's front yards open on to it right there so my dog is on-lead. Along the footpath come two off-lead dogs , an elderly swf behaving very well and a younger male medium-sized terrier type who isn't.

The terrier is all hackles and macho intent, stalking my dog and completely ignoring his owner yelling to call him back.

I try to walk away but it's not leaving me. He stops approaching when I stop and face him but he won't let his owner catch him and I'm not going to stand there all night.

I ask the guy if the dog is friendly - he thinks it may not attack if my dog is a girl but isn't sure :). If my dog was male he is sure it would.

So I figure I'm right next to the off-lead area and my dog stands a much better chance of defusing the tension off-lead than on. And if he is determined to fight she will either whip his butt or just out run him if I'm not in the middle of it.

So I walk into the off-lead area and let her off-lead. Aggro boy has of course followed us, but she calmly approached him and although he never relaxed he decided she was too much for him I think and at the last second averted his head.

Next thing I know he has spotted another dog on the other side of the oval and is off like a rocket with owner screaming after him again. Might as well have saved his breath absolutely no effect. I didn't hang around to see how it ended.

Edited by Diva

Guest Willow

We were down the beach yesterday, and I keep my two on lead until I know the coast is clear. As soon as we got on, a very large staffy x approached us, from about 50m away (I was trying to keep my dogs as far away as possible until we were clear of them).

I called to the two owners "can you get your dog please???" so they just stood there, hands on hips, watching, so I call again "COME & GET YOUR DOG"

"oh, he's ok!!!" says the guy breezily.

"Ok then.....but mine aren't" smile sweetly, and start to walk away....you've never seen two people run so fast to "rescue" their dog!!! :)

It P***** me off that I take such great pains to ensure my dogs are no problem to other people, or other dogs, and other people don't have the same courtesy.

ETA: my dogs are NOT aggressive, but dislike being "rushed" by unfamiliar dogs (and quite right too!).....I have no problem with them playing with other dogs, but after they have been introduced properly, not charged at head on by an out of control dog!

Edited by Willow

I have people let their dog/s approach mine all the time, they don't seem to bat an eye lid when my dog starts reacting in an aggressive manner.

I've had people say...Oh I don't mind if your dog has a go at mine, it deserves it for appraoching yours.....idiots.

I have to tell them that each time my dog is rushed at or attacked that he replases and develops worse DA....some people actually have no idea....should be able to send them my Behaviourist invoice each time he replases due to other peoples irresponsibility!

I had to tell my neighbour I wasn't going to be responsible for happened to her little Maltese when she stood by watching it try to attack my Dane.

Edited by sas

But who'd want to encourage a dog to behave aggressively anyway? :) It's not the first time I've had someone say something along the lines of "mine needs to be taught". Not by my dog they don't.

I got the same response by a weimeraner owner very recently. Their offlead girl made a beeline for Sasha (who can be unpredictable with offlead dogs rushing her onlead - sometimes goes on defense, sometimes is terrified and wants to run). I was told not to worry because their girl was harmless, and I said 'well I don't know how Sasha will react so please come get your dog' and I was told not to worry about it, if Sasha had a go at the weimeraner it would teach her a lesson for being a naughty girl and not coming when she's called.

OKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY...

No thanks, I'd rather not encourage my dog to show aggression, to prove a point to your dog. And just to set the record straight - I'm not worried about YOUR dog. Have some courtesy.

Edited by Kelly_Louise

so I picked him up everytime another dog entered our 'sphere', then would get told off as people thought I was frightened of their large dog eating mine, no, I was afraid mine would attack the large dog and be killed for being an idiot! You can't win.

Yes this is something that really irks me too when people see us approaching and pick up their small dogs - I'm tempted to say something... but I do always wonder if it's because they are afraid Sasha is a SWF-eating monster, or if their SWF is a Sasha-eating monster, so keep my mouth shut.

Having had people pull their dogs away in horror at my (disinterested) big dog, I can understand why it annoys people.

Unfortunately it's the consequences of a number of irresponsible dog owners I guess.

I'll pick Darcy up if the approach looks really over the top. That's to stop the other dog getting too close. I explain that I'm picking him up for the other dog's protection, not his.

I've put my knee hard into a rambunctious Golden Retriever off as he lept at Darcy.. just what you want with multiple dogs on lead. :)

Frankly the "friendly" dogs are often just as much trouble as the more aggro ones if their owners aren't on the ball. :thumbsup:

We walk with a stick now to keep away offenders off lead and as we are the "go to" people where we live if somebody else encounters a stray or owned free range doggy, we come across them constantly. Our locals don't give a s*it about leads and none are on them ever. They are nicknamed local Identities.

Better to take the dogs away from the town to exercise, train and swim other wise there would be far too many problems.

Edited by arawnhaus

So I figure I'm right next to the off-lead area and my dog stands a much better chance of defusing the tension off-lead than on. And if he is determined to fight she will either whip his butt or just out run him if I'm not in the middle of it.

I've done this before too, with a not so friendly "friendly" off lead fat golden retriever - in an on lead area as it happens but in critical situations you do what works. It worked really well, but what bothers me is that to an inexperienced eye it looks like I'm letting my dog off to play. Interestingly enough, once she was off lead, the GR thought the better of it and trotted the 100 yards back to his owner.

Yep happens to me all the time :rolleyes:

Last time luckily they did call their dog without arguing about it - dog was running towards Zoe off lead :thumbsup: and I said "My dog is not friendly, can you call your dog please!" repeated it twice I think before they called it. Was a BC that looked like it just wanted to visit but unfortunately Zoe doesn't like visitors.

OT but I got to meet your lovely dogs recently!

Was this when they were staying with PAX? It seems they got a couple of visitors while I was gone :) I hope they were being well behaved!

It worked really well, but what bothers me is that to an inexperienced eye it looks like I'm letting my dog off to play. Interestingly enough, once she was off lead, the GR thought the better of it and trotted the 100 yards back to his owner.

It's almost like some of the troublemakers have learnt that they can aggress at on-lead dogs and they aren't anywhere near as cocky off-lead. And mine are definately more relaxed and able to respond more appropriately if they are hassled off-lead than on, but it takes a leap of faith to just let it happen.

The bottom line for me is that mine can probably hold their own in a fight - but it's the last thing I want.

Edited by Diva

I have worked very hard with Caber over the past 5 years (bad experiences as a pup has made him react first- ask questions later) and I can now take him around shows to 'visit' people and he can say hello to about 90% of dogs without a problem... If I walk him on his own around the neighbourhood he is gernally perfectly behaved and will rarely react to another dog but I don't WANT him to react so I ask people to please control their dogs... get the usual "he's fine" and I have to say "well mine isn't so can you PLEASE control your dog". What shits me thnough is when they respond with something like "If he's aggressive he should be muzzled". Why should my dog be muzzled if he walks at heel, sits at the curb, stays on leash etc and only reacts to other dogs- does not instigate anything?????

And on the other hand, wee Ziva is friendly, if submissive, but because she is so small I prefer to be picky about strange dogs she 'meets'. Some dogs are very overbearing on a little dog and she doesn't appreciate that. She also doesn't like small fluffy dogs very much (I think she sees them as prey?), and honestly, I wouldn't trust her not to go for a pom or similar. She hasn't but I don't see it as a risk worth taking!!

At the end of the day, they are MY dogs and who they meet and greet is upto ME. Grr.

What shits me thnough is when they respond with something like "If he's aggressive he should be muzzled".

If someone tries that line on me, my response will be "if you obey the law and leash your dog, he doesn't need to be". :)

People really don't get it do they - my girl is only off lead in my yard or in a leash-free area, and then yes, she'll run up to other dogs like an idiot for a good sniff and a play, and play chasies - and i've not had a problem - she's just wanting to play. If she showed the slightest bit of aggression i wouldn't let her off leash with other dogs.

I did have one person a few days ago be a bit concerned as their little Maltese X had been attacked in the past by a big dog and had needed 40 stitches, poor little guy, so he didn't want to play with Sophie - fair enough. Haven't encountered any bad off-leash dogs around our area yet but i'm sure it's just a matter of time. :)

What shits me thnough is when they respond with something like "If he's aggressive he should be muzzled".

If someone tries that line on me, my response will be "if you obey the law and leash your dog, he doesn't need to be". :)

That's usually what I say if I don't just turn around and walk off :thumbsup: but the thing is, he IS well trained and obedient (he is at the point where when I stop, he will either sit or drop and just look at the other dog like a big idiot :eek: ). Some breeds he will go nuts over (in a happy way), 'cos he loves them (Cavs, GSDs, anything fluffy LOL and anything smaller than him, he wants to play with and occasionally screams if he's not allowed to say hello :rolleyes: ).

We do have a white stafford pup who is walked off leash... the other day I was cutting through the park (on my own) and it came barreling upto me, the owners said "it's okay, he's friendly!" I said hello to the pup and naturally, ended up getting covered in Staffy kisses. Talked to the owners for a bit and they were saying how most people cross the street etc. Then I found out he's fine with people but tries to kill other dogs :) he shouldn't be off leash in the first place but he's dog aggressive???? ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH. I just hope we never run into him while I'm walking my kids.

I have a naturally fearful rescue dog... and what people don't understand, is that an offlead dog rushing Sash (even if it's just chasing her or snapping and growling) sets me back months in my work with her confidence. We once got bailed up (and one attack) twice in succession on the same trail - and it took me weeks to get her to go back along that same route without drama.

We got approached by a maltese x poodle the other day on the corner (it had run across the road from a house where the occupants were sitting out the front drinking coffee), it was growling fiercely in the crouched 'ready to launch' position and wouldn't let us past and was surely going to have a go at Sash - I yelled at it NO and to get back and poked my umbrella at it and used it as a shield to keep the dog away... and got yelled at for my troubles, by the owners who wandered over. After about a minute of calling the dog away, it ran to them and walked about a metre with them, then ran back for another go at us. All I got was an indifferent (and ingenuine) sorry after I made my frustration very clear, and they finally picked the dog up and let us past.

Very frustrating.

How bloody awful for everyone!

I too have a dog that is not keen on dogs, esp little ones, in her face. I do have control of her and we go to an offlead beach with our 3 dogs and have never had an incident in nearly 4 years (her age). But, I've lost count of the number of people who walk ahead of their dogs and have no idea where their dogs are or what they are doing. We have so many little dogs follow us and get in my dogs' faces. I always call mine next to me or else run ahead with them to get mine away from the 'roamers'.

Sometimes I ask the owners to call theirs as I end up followed by several dogs, but the owners have no interest :) It's very frustrating. It makes for a less than relaxing experience and my dogs LOVE the beach and do not wish to 'play' with anyone else.

I was at the beach sunday with Jet. He was happily playing fetch with me & OH. Then a rotty started following him, trying to jump on him & barking at him. Jet gave him a small and quick growl to tell him to back off really. The owners were at the back of the sand when we were in the start of the water and they didn't even call the rotty back, the rotty ended up leaving after that but gee it does annoy me when owners at the beach just let there dogs wonder way to far away from them.