Toyota Hilux

oceanaussi

:rofl: Mikelli. That is a good simple idea.

You could even use the keyed Whitco Sliding Aluminium Window Locks with the push buttons. They could all be keyed the same for extra security.

Theres not a lot of room between the side of the crate (doors) and the side of the canopy when it is shut down though....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I haven't replied earlier, was a bit busy. Thank you so much for all your replies!!! :( I wasn't convinced about a Hilux until I read all your replies, so that's great, I'm looking forward to get one now! :heart:

@richess: Isn't vinyl quite hot? Is it more or less expensive than the 'normal' canopies you can buy?

@crazywhips: Thanks! That's good to know!

@cry123: I do a lot of travelling to but have only 2 dogs. We go camping with a caravan a lot and I would prefer to have the dogs sleeping in the car rather than in their crates as it can be tight with space on some caravan parks. I used to travel alone a fair bit and just slept in the Kluger. Not sure if I still can do that with the Hilux but doesn't matter. Your set-up sounds great! Does canvas stay much cooler than the 'normal' canopies? Thanks for the pic! That really does look like a great set-up!

@Lucy's mama: Sorry, stupid question: Are fibreglass canopies the 'normal' ones you see on them? Is the difference THAT big in temperature? Thanks for the link! Looks great!!!

@roundhill: Interesting. I have the same problem (I'm 5 cm shorter than you), so that sounds a bit challenging. What about these rear step towbars? Wouldn't that help? I agree with the height limitations. Might be a bit of an issue for us as well. You never know what you want to use it for. Hm, can you get the dual cab with a tray back??? :) So are you just putting the cages on? No cover? Tray back is the ones without the sites, right? Really the Prado is smaller? Doesn't look that way when I'm parked next to one. :heart: But I'm not sure about the inside.

@Mystiqview: Yes, definetly getting a Turbo Diesel. I'm thinking of getting a used one not older than 3-4 years. But depends on the price. Maybe I find a good offer for a demo which would be great! Good thinking with the rain! Does canvas stay dry??? I assume so, it's the same stuff they make tents off, isn't it?

@WoofnHoof: Thanks for the info! How much are the carryboys approximately? Looks like a great set-up!

@Weibritty: Your set-up looks great! As far as I'm aware you can't get the cab and the canopy connected with the Hilux. But I might be wrong. The ramp is a great idea! Was wondering how far larger dogs should jump. Hera is 25 kg. I can lift her up. Different story with Quentin thou... . Is Flexiglass = Fibreglass??? Is that cooler than canvas or warmer?

@mikelli: Absolutley love your set-up!!!

@WildatHeart: Thanks for the info!

So, now I have a few more questions: In the moment I live near Brisbane and it gets pretty hot and can also rain quite a bit. There is a possibility that I might be moving to the snowy part of this continent so there it's hot and dry in summer but pretty cool in winter. In your opinion which canopy would be the best - canvas, Flexi- or Fibreglass??? :D Also how secure is canvas? I mean theoretically, people could just rip it and take stuff out. I like the idea with ramps, that will certainly help. I do like the canvas set-up as you can put an awning on the site and sit in the shade too wich would be nice. They also seem to be cheaper than the other ones.

I have been looking for cars but haven't found one yet. A lot of cars 2 years old cost as much as a new car. So I don't really see the point...

Just a quik answer for one of the last Q's.

I travelled with my 2 dogs for a few months at the end of last year. I have a dual cab navara

I got a full mesh and steel cage welded up to fit the tray of my ute. Then a canvas canopy made for that- similar to one I saw maybe last page? The sides roll up in 2 sections so I can have the front half rolled up and the back half down on each side

I roll the sides up when its hot but leave the back down as when the back is also rolled up it seems to suck heat up off the road into the back- also leave it down on dirt roads as it does the same. The side doors are mesh and sliding so fully secure (and lockable) when canvas is rolled up.

We did a few days of snow with 2 dogs in the back with and without dog jackets on- left the sides zipped down at night and it was warm as toast in there. (they had one of those big pillow sleeping things to share)

Also travelled in 40-odd degrees and it was warm but not unbearable

Got a flexiglass canopy on a holden ute here and after running and swimming my 4 dogs it can get pretty hot and humid in the back on the (short) drive home. Maybe bigger windows would help? But I dont use it much anyway

Car isnt here at the moment to get pics sorry :(

@roundhill: Interesting. I have the same problem (I'm 5 cm shorter than you), so that sounds a bit challenging. What about these rear step towbars? Wouldn't that help? I agree with the height limitations. Might be a bit of an issue for us as well. You never know what you want to use it for. Hm, can you get the dual cab with a tray back??? :( So are you just putting the cages on? No cover? Tray back is the ones without the sites, right? Really the Prado is smaller? Doesn't look that way when I'm parked next to one. :) But I'm not sure about the inside.

Here is our new ute purchased just prior to christmas with the standard 6ft tray.

post-10405-1263103030_thumb.jpg

This is the back view

post-10405-1263103063_thumb.jpg

As you can see the tray comes standard with small sides that drop down and can be removed easily also.

Hubby has made a temporary shelter for the dogs that has rubber matting on the floor and 3 points to tie the dogs onto. This is for short trips to keep them shaded and off the hot tray.

We are in the process of having a dog box made that will cater for 2 dogs and have a toolbox on top. It will be both fully enclosed and lockable with internal mesh doors. The roof will be insulated and it will have a removable timber floor. There will be an air vent at the front and side of each of the boxes to allow air circulation. I will try and find a photo of our old box that will help explain it a lot better.

I had my heart set on the Prado but when we went test driving we discovered that it was very small inside. Hubby is 6ft 4 and he could not fit in the front. There wasn't as much leg room and space. So that is how we ended up with the Kluger.

I find the canvas great. It is dry, warm in winter, cool in summer.

Our Canvas is secure, yes you can get into the canvas part, but the cages can lock up.

With our sides and back we have eyelits in the corners, so we can have them unzipped, and then put poles in them to make a little awening. It works well! (not sure if that makes sense!)

I agree with what Black dog was saying as well.

for all those with canvas canopies: Can you put them onto normal trays as well? Not the metal ones but the ones which are same colour as the vehicle? Appearently you can't get them down which you used to be able to do... :thumbsup: I used to own a Hilux and you could remove all three sites but I think the newer models only allow the back if I'm not wrong!? Bugger!

for all those with canvas canopies: Can you put them onto normal trays as well? Not the metal ones but the ones which are same colour as the vehicle? Appearently you can't get them down which you used to be able to do... :thumbsup: I used to own a Hilux and you could remove all three sites but I think the newer models only allow the back if I'm not wrong!? Bugger!

I am not quite sure what you mean, but our ute has the tray with the three sides that drop down, and you can take the sides off. The ute dosent come standard with the tray, we had to pay extra to get this tray. The standard ones are the ones the same as the car, with just the back that drops down.

Our canvas attaches tot he tray with hook thingy's and rubber band thingy's (not sure about the terminology!)

Sorry Oceanaussi I may have confused you with talking about a standard length tray.

The following is how all Hilux utes come from the factory with a tub back. Only the tailgate drops down at the back.

post-10405-1263345256.jpg

The tray that we have on our Hilux (as shown below) you actually have to ask the dealer to add to the ute. It is 6ft in length, this is the standard length for a tray. Some people ask for them to be made slightly longer than this one. All the sides of the tray drop down and can be removed.

post-10405-1263345440_thumb.jpg

I hope this helps.

Sorry Oceanaussi I may have confused you with talking about a standard length tray.

The following is how all Hilux utes come from the factory with a tub back. Only the tailgate drops down at the back.

post-10405-1263345256.jpg

The tray that we have on our Hilux (as shown below) you actually have to ask the dealer to add to the ute. It is 6ft in length, this is the standard length for a tray. Some people ask for them to be made slightly longer than this one. All the sides of the tray drop down and can be removed.

post-10405-1263345440_thumb.jpg

I hope this helps.

Ah, thanks! Hm, I was going to find a used Hilux but I haven't seen any with the tray. And if I would but a used one and then get the tray fitted, I probably pay the same as for a new one... Hm, decisions, decisions...

@WoofnHoof: Thanks for the info! How much are the carryboys approximately? Looks like a great set-up!

I managed to snare that one secondhand it was a bargain at $300, a brand new carryboy is over $3000 so it's well worth checking ebay and auction houses for secondhand canopies :banghead: