Toyota Hilux

oceanaussi

Hello there, I currently drive a Toyota Kluger and it's a great car. But as I'm doin a LOT of km I decided to change it into a Diesel. So after a lot of discussions with OH we decided on a Hilux. It would be my first car where I haben't got my dogs right with me. Now I'm thinking, should I buy a canope and have them in there or will that be too hot? Maybe I just can secure them with their seatbells on the tray but I'm terrified that it breaks and they fall off. Should I mount a cage? Or will they get wind-/sunburn?

Any ideas???

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will probably need either a canopy and crates, or just very solid, roofed crates.Don't forget a thick rubber flooring - for grip, and insulation ....and don't forget , without any airconditioing- the dogs will be much colder in Winter, and MUCH ,MUCH hotter in Summer.

We are lucky being out bush- we have a shadecloth 'sail' which we attach to the tray in Summer..it works really well-that and wool underfoot - the working dogs don't mind the travel at all :(

Edited by persephone

My brother has a Hilux and he has two massive dogs - Bull Arabs - gorgeous funny things they are!

He has a metal crate with a roof that can be lifted in and lifted out of the back, it's big enough for the two of them and he has put carpet down on the bottom, it's quite luxurious hehehe. They love it and as soon as we open the gate to go out they go running and flying in to it. Because the crate can be removed, he uses it as a crate when we are at work (we work for ourselves and have a warehouse) if they need to be enclosed.

Hope this helps :(

I don't have that style of vehicle, but if I was opting for one I would prefer to have the canopy for the sense of security for my dog/s it would give me. You can get those hot air extractors (the ones that swirl around with the breeze/wind) which would help to cool the canopy area. But ventilation (windows) would be a necessity.

I've been told of this type of vehicle arrangement but where the gap between canopy and cabin was sealed, with the rear cabin window converted to a sliding window. Allowed access (even if verbal only) to the dogs and some of the a/con from the cabin to the canopy. Don't know how effective the latter would be though. And I'd imagine it would be a tad expensive to have modified to this.

I have the Hilux with extra cab. I have a canopy with a roof vent and sliding windows with security screen. It was from ARB. Recently the window got stuck open because somebody slid it too far the wrong way. ARB Nudgee fixed it for free, so I can recommend them.

I had a ute liner fitted and have two big mats for the dogs to lie on. You can fit quite a few big dogs in there.

It is good having the front of the car stay clean and fur free. :(

Edited to add - the ute liner is great and it turns the tail gate into a picnic table with cup holders.

Edited by Greytmate

Thanks for your replies so far!!! :(

@persephone: Would you travel long distances with the shadecloth?

@BooBooBear: Do you have a pic? I'm a bit unsure on how to secure a crate on the tray...

@casowner: Do you think the roof vents will keep the area cool enough???

@Ridgydidge: The second option sounds great but pricey, any idea where i could get a quote for that?

@riesenhaft: That IS handy!!!

@WoofnHoof: Can you leave the windows open while you drive? Can you open the sides as well? I'm planning to put a big toolbox in there with all my gear, so that needs to be accessible easily.

@Greytmate: I'm planning to get a Dual Cab. Will have a look at the canopies of ARB. The ute liner sounds great! Where did you get that from? Yeah, having a non-smelly, no-furry car - that's a first for me!

My CASD fits in as our car has high clearance and I can fit a large Dane size Great Crate in too. The roof vents help circulate the air and stop the tray getting dirt/dust sucked into the back on dirt roads, the side windows with dog mesh can stay open. We also have the liner as well.

Ah, good! Thanks for all the replies! I will now go and get some quotes for canopies and stuff like that to see if I should wait and buy one which already has some of the extras I want. My Kluger isn't even 2 years old... Hope this one will be a better choice. :champagne:

Ah, good! Thanks for all the replies! I will now go and get some quotes for canopies and stuff like that to see if I should wait and buy one which already has some of the extras I want. My Kluger isn't even 2 years old... Hope this one will be a better choice. :champagne:

You will have much more room in the back compared to the Kluger :thumbsup:

You will have much more room in the back compared to the Kluger :whee:

Really?! :champagne: I find the Kluger comfy and BIG. Only downside is that it doesn't come as a Diesel and I don't want a big Prado or Landcruiser. I've done 90,000 km with the Kluger. My boss has one too, he's done 80,000 km and his car is 6 years old!!! :thumbsup: Hopefully within the next months I find a good used Hilux with most of the stuff I want. I would imagine a canopy is pretty expensive, so I might look for used ones which already have a canopy.

You will have much more room in the back compared to the Kluger :whee:

Really?! :thumbsup: I find the Kluger comfy and BIG. Only downside is that it doesn't come as a Diesel and I don't want a big Prado or Landcruiser. I've done 90,000 km with the Kluger. My boss has one too, he's done 80,000 km and his car is 6 years old!!! :whee: Hopefully within the next months I find a good used Hilux with most of the stuff I want. I would imagine a canopy is pretty expensive, so I might look for used ones which already have a canopy.

Well our brand new Mitsubishi canopy cost nearly 4k but you can get non genuine ones that are much cheaper and you can get them as high or low as you need. Flexiglass Challenge do them up here.

I would be flat out getting one Dane in the back of the Kluger (with the rear seats up as I need to carry little people as well)

Love my Triton

Love that car :champagne:

Hi Oceanaussi

Used to have a Single Cab Rodeo, with a Vinyl canopy that I could slide on and off, inside the dogs were enclosed in a home built dog box. There were two vents that you could open at the front of the canopy when driving long distances, however when doing short drives I would actually roll all three sides up and let the dogs have the wind in their fur. This suited my situation and there are so many colours to choose from in the vinyl.

I did have to get the frame made seperately to the canopy but it wasn't really too much of a hassle.

I have now upgraded to a Dual cab Hilux and will be looking to get a new canopy made, will stick with the vinyl again.

Will look for a photo and post for you later.