Walking The Dog Log

Daisy

Just went out for a walk with Hugo because it is much cooler outside than in at the moment. Trying to get the cool air inside, but my house is old and poky and even when I have all the windows open the air doesn't seem to flow through too well *sigh*

cuchulain, I love many breeds of dogs and have a 'to own one day' list that is way too long, but ridgebacks are somewhere towards the top of the list :thumbsup: I have admired them at dog shows, but would really like to get to know one better!

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4.45am :laugh: Thats not morning...its still the middle of the night!!!! You are a very dedicated and brave soul!

You would be surprised how many people are out at that time, even at that hour I am sweating.

Bad girl this morning, I rolled over and went back to sleep, no time tonight we had visitors.

I must get up in the morning, I must get up in the morning

AWWWW !!glad you got your walk Daisy . Its still hot outside here and i felt the rd and its still hot :laugh: but its hotter inside atm so my panting dogs are outside with my OH wetting them with a hose to cool them off. Im up at 4.30 for work so i cant even take them then :laugh: . Maybe i il bye a hat torch tomorrow so i can take them real late if its the same as today ,we are rural so no street lights bummer.

AWWWW !!glad you got your walk Daisy . Its still hot outside here and i felt the rd and its still hot :laugh: but its hotter inside atm so my panting dogs are outside with my OH wetting them with a hose to cool them off. Im up at 4.30 for work so i cant even take them then :laugh: . Maybe i il bye a hat torch tomorrow so i can take them real late if its the same as today ,we are rural so no street lights bummer.

that would make it hard with no street lights :rofl: hope it cools down for you soon!

Wish we had somewhere round here where the dogs could swim casima! That must be great :rofl:

Edited by Daisy

I think this is a great idea

A big :laugh: to all doing their best to walk their pooches!

my 2 got spoilt this weekend- OH and I are fans of the beach ourselves, so friday and saturday evenings we took them to the beach for a couple of hours, they had a ball running around in the surf. pain having to wash the sand off at the end tho!

tonight we waited until 8pm and then went to an offleash dog park for an hour. so we have 2 pooped pooches here!

:laugh: It was so hot today that dog school wasn't fun. I ended up using my water to pour over Max to try and keep him cool. The humidity was almost unbearable and I was just glad I wasn't participating in the agility competition on the other side of town today where a lot of the instructors were. We had a new instructor today, Kim, she is the daughter of our usual instructor (Marcia) who was at the agility competition with her Border Collies. If the weather had been nicer it would have been a very enjoyable class.

I am having issues with Max but I'm going to post in the training thread for advice, because today was like I'd never done any work with him at all - he just wanted to play with the other dogs.

I had a very disturbed sleep last night and really didn't want to get up early, so just a short walk with Arizona whippet this morning. I will try to get motivated to take another walk this evening.

As usual, the novelty is starting to wear off and i am not really looking forward to the walks. Just as well I started this thread! It would be nice if I had someone to walk and talk with, I think I would be much more motivated then. When our obedience classes start back in February I think I will ask around and see if there is anyone who lives nearby who would like to walk with me.

Got up at 6am and gave both of them a walk and a bit of training. Fergus got some off lead time to play fetch too.

Daisy - I find breaking it up like this makes it a lot more fun - training, fetch and walking keeps it interesting for both of us.

When we got home I gave both Fergus and Lucy a little street walk together. It was only 10 mins, but that is better than nothing.

About 15 months ago, I got really slack with walking. I only had my boy and I had a dog walker visit while I was at work. I convinced myself that, given he'd had a walk with them, he didn't need one with me. Then I started noticing a guy in a wheelchair outside my house walking his dog every single evening. I often saw him in the park too. He has a manual wheelchair and the park path is gravel - so it would have been hard work for him to do. I thought to myself that if he could do it, I had no excuse.

Uhoh we are at the bottom of page 2, who else walked today? Daisy and Megan well done :laugh: I think a walking buddy is a great idea!

It was still so hot tonight my dogs spent most of the time swimming again, very very glad for that dam, wish I could go in with them :o

Day 6 - 50 mins park and swim

Its still 40 here and hot so rd walk was out but i took them on lead with a torch out to the back padock to check on the horses hope that counts as a walk. :rofl:

Maya isnt coping with the heat she :laugh: a few times today lets hope the cool change they talk about comes in :o

Asari I am sure they enjoyed the short walk, they probably don't want to do much in the heat either!

I was up early and took Matilda out for a walk, but it was quite warm already and not very pleasant. We have been sitting on around 35 degrees during the day and it had been cooling down nicely overnight, but didn't cool down much last night at all :laugh: 37 degrees forecast here today, but after that it is supposed to cool down a bit. I hope that everyone else gets some relief from the heat too!

The young one is getting walked morning and night while it is still cooler. He gets a short walk to the off-leash park, 15 to 30 min play (with me - not other dogs) and then a 45+ min walk around the streets (it is a circuit we walk). He then gets the same at night.

The exceptions to this is Tuesday, Wednesday and Thurs morning. These days he gets play time with our other GSD morning and night. He will also get a shorter walk on these days and no off-leash time at the park.

This morning I got up and took Rams for an hour walk before work. He had a nice play with another lab girl and we got compliments on how obedient he is :hug: I plan on doing this Mon-Fri with Saturdays being our Delta dog day and Sundays are dog training. That ought to keep him a happy boy!

Edited by spoilt lab lives here

It was 44C here yesterday...but by 7.30pm it was cooler out than in so decided to risk it and take Jane for a stroll. Didn't even get 500 metres down the road and she flopped on her side and would'nt budge til I turned around and headed for home!!! Fair enough...still too hot for her. Even though it was a short walk she still met a nice old man at his front gate and, alittle closer to home, another fella who let her play with the water from his hose.

Today was much better...rainy all day and COOL!!! So we had a walk up the mountain (Really a large hill but its officially called Mt Leura!) and then a play off lead in the show grounds oval after which she went absolutely MENTAL for a few hours...really hyper! You would think after a strenuous walk/hike and some offlead walk she would be pooped...I know I was! Can't wait til she grows up abit more and dare I say...acts more sensible!!!

Well done to everyone who has been walking their dogs, even with the weather :cry:

My dogs went to the park again, about 50 mins today and had another swim and a bit of a run, still hot here :rofl: not sure what we would do without that dam :cry:

yahhhh! we got a walk in tonight the dogs loved it and we extended the walk an extra 15min . Its sooooo much cooler and been raining all day.The dogs had the aircon on till 3am as it was still hot but you should have seen there face's when i opened the door at 6 to let them out :cry: it was raining so hard one ran peed and ran back the other had to be pushed outside.

Welldone for tho's that got out for there walks :cry:

Just our usual 10 minutes round the block this morning. It's been too hot to do anything this afternoon. I am also dealing with some intense pain from an infection where I had an emergency root canal treatment done just before Christmas and I'm not coping with the pain AND the heat. I'd possible cope with one but not both! :cry:

Great to hear some of you ar getting cooler weather! It is supposed to cool down here tomorrow. At least it was cooler last night, so we were off around 6.30 this morning, me and Ryan and Ari the naughty whippy girl. It was just beautiful being out that early, usually I don't go till around 7 but I think it is worth getting up that little bit earlier. I also took Clyde out for a walk, so that was about an hour of walking for me :cry: But it was geting a bit warm by the time I got home.

cuchulain sorry about your infected mouth, hope it is feeling better soon!

Edited by Daisy