Allergies And Prednisolone

Luckily Mason will eat anything i put in his food bowl, we dont even have to try disguise it he just eats everything :laugh:

Most of our kids would eat anything too - its the reaction they have after eating that causes the issues :laugh: and is an ongoing problem

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Luckily Mason will eat anything i put in his food bowl, we dont even have to try disguise it he just eats everything :laugh:

Most of our kids would eat anything too - its the reaction they have after eating that causes the issues :laugh: and is an ongoing problem

Do they steal food and counter-surf? The only place I have to be extra careful is at training club, there is a class before us and people can drop stuff on the ground which he is not supposed to have ( due to elimination diet, IMO Mason's allergies have nothing to do with food but like I have said before I am no expert) and sometimes my cats drop food out their bowls which are up high, so i have to just make sure that he doesnt get to the dropped food before I do.

Do they steal food and counter-surf?

The correct answer is - my dogs are not allow to counter surf - if they put their paws up on the bench they get told off - its something I hate.

Now being honest......

UMMM Yep Beans never used to but she is putting her agility skills to good use. She may only be a 400 height dog but can land in the middle of the dinning room table from a standing start - and thats where she helped herself to the fruit and nut toblerone :laugh:

Might give it a go again after I finish the current bottle of megaderm.

The Megaderm does have safflower or sunflower in it doesn't it? If its at a high enough level, that might actually give you your answer to if its helping Orbit or not... :o

We're having a crapola time with his allergies at the moment which sucks because I usually look forward to the cooler months because his symptoms usually reduce, but not this time!

We're having a bad time with Zayda atm, fix one and the other breaks :laugh: But we have mould allergies too and are getting mould + pollens atm... and she got a bit of food she shouldn't <sigh> no mould allergies at your end??

Edited by zayda_asher

Do they steal food and counter-surf?

The correct answer is - my dogs are not allow to counter surf - if they put their paws up on the bench they get told off - its something I hate.

Now being honest......

UMMM Yep Beans never used to but she is putting her agility skills to good use. She may only be a 400 height dog but can land in the middle of the dinning room table from a standing start - and thats where she helped herself to the fruit and nut toblerone :o

Oh my goodness I never realised that she actually jumped up on the table..... Mason hasnt worked out how to counter surf yet but I am sure he will in due course when he is hungry enough :laugh:

Might give it a go again after I finish the current bottle of megaderm.

The Megaderm does have safflower or sunflower in it doesn't it? If its at a high enough level, that might actually give you your answer to if its helping Orbit or not... :o

We're having a crapola time with his allergies at the moment which sucks because I usually look forward to the cooler months because his symptoms usually reduce, but not this time!

We're having a bad time with Zayda atm, fix one and the other breaks :laugh: But we have mould allergies too and are getting mould + pollens atm... and she got a bit of food she shouldn't <sigh> no mould allergies at your end??

oooh good point I didn't think of mould! Pretty sure we did which could easily explain things!! Champion Zayder, thanks!! Will go back and check our results

Ok so we just had our first Sogeval bath - went with the Chlorhex Shampoo for all round coverage. Overall, good shampoo and not full of fragrance.

Also applied 3 x top spots. No smell at all other than just an oily smell. Orbit still had a mental spaz after, rolling around and digging but that's cause he's a girl.

Also did a light spray of the Calm spray after - again not much of a smell and just feels like an oil. He's itchy today and quite itchy now after his bath so will see how he goes in a few days...

oooh good point I didn't think of mould! Pretty sure we did which could easily explain things!! Champion Zayder, thanks!! Will go back and check our results

Try to keep the living environment warm, but not humid and that will help prevent mould spore growth! :confused: I've found keeping Zayda rugged up so she stays warm helps too, esp. when we go out.

Ok so we just had our first Sogeval bath - went with the Chlorhex Shampoo for all round coverage. Overall, good shampoo and not full of fragrance.

Also applied 3 x top spots. No smell at all other than just an oily smell. Orbit still had a mental spaz after, rolling around and digging but that's cause he's a girl.

Also did a light spray of the Calm spray after - again not much of a smell and just feels like an oil. He's itchy today and quite itchy now after his bath so will see how he goes in a few days...

How's he going now? Does he normally get itchy after a bath?

Not a whole lot of difference yet, but I must say, I think it's possible he's a little less itchy than what I expected him to be? He was pretty itchy yesterday morning, enough that I was going to pred him, but I forgot :confused: so he should have been itchier again today, but I don't think he is.

Coat feels really nice after the bath too.

He usually gets itchy directly after a bath, only because I've just stirred up his skin though. It settles back down after half an hour or so. If I've used something on him that is going to react, then it's usually that night when he gets really itchy and is just beside himself.

Now that the weather has cooled down a bit I do have his coat on most of the time, but of course he's still able to inhale everything.

Not a whole lot of difference yet, but I must say, I think it's possible he's a little less itchy than what I expected him to be? He was pretty itchy yesterday morning, enough that I was going to pred him, but I forgot :shrug: so he should have been itchier again today, but I don't think he is.

Well that's a good sign hopefully!! :rofl:

Now that the weather has cooled down a bit I do have his coat on most of the time, but of course he's still able to inhale everything.

They need atmosphere controlled bubbles :laugh: We used to joke that Zayda should be the "puppy inna bubble" when she was little...

Edited by zayda_asher

He usually gets itchy directly after a bath, only because I've just stirred up his skin though. It settles back down after half an hour or so. If I've used something on him that is going to react, then it's usually that night when he gets really itchy and is just beside himself.

I meant to say too that one of my friends had similar problems with her dogs and was told to just smooth the shampoo through the coat with as little massaging as possible, as it stops the skin irritating so much... You may already do that, but it might help if not :laugh:

Not a whole lot of difference yet, but I must say, I think it's possible he's a little less itchy than what I expected him to be? He was pretty itchy yesterday morning, enough that I was going to pred him, but I forgot :shrug: so he should have been itchier again today, but I don't think he is.

Well that's a good sign hopefully!! :rofl:

They need atmosphere controlled bubbles :laugh: We used to joke that Zayda should be the "puppy inna bubble" when she was little...

My husband was joking around the other day and said that Mason should also be in one of those bubble suits lol.

Well that's a good sign hopefully!! :o

My husband was joking around the other day and said that Mason should also be in one of those bubble suits lol.

It'd be really funny if it wasn't so close to the truth, hey? :rofl: :rofl:

Well that's a good sign hopefully!! ;)

It'd be really funny if it wasn't so close to the truth, hey? :rofl::o

Yip aint that the truth! :rofl: I think if Mason could wear one he would be way less itchy etc. He is doing much better on the anti-histamines etc, I think one of the injections he got last week made him very sleepy/ and or depressed as he wasnt himself but is doing much better this week.

Yip aint that the truth! :thumbsup: I think if Mason could wear one he would be way less itchy etc. He is doing much better on the anti-histamines etc, I think one of the injections he got last week made him very sleepy/ and or depressed as he wasnt himself but is doing much better this week.

Great to hear he is doing better this week :thanks:

Hahaha I always joke about Orbit needing a bubble.

Thanks Zayder, I did rub/massage this shampoo in - if he's got a bit of flaky staph I like to rub that off to get to the stuff underneath, but normally, for a usual anti stink bath, he's in the hydrobath where the shampoo just comes out with the water so there's no rubbing happening. Still gets itchy after that too. I should say, that like most other dogs, he's a nutcase after a bath and does the whole sliding and rubbing, which flares up the itchies too.

Good skin didnt last very long. Hivies are up and he's itchy as anything. Left him without his coat on for 20mins and came back to red raw scratchy patches. Stupid stupid dog. The amount of times I've told him that scratching only makes the itchies worse but he just won't listen....

Hahaha I always joke about Orbit needing a bubble.

Thanks Zayder, I did rub/massage this shampoo in - if he's got a bit of flaky staph I like to rub that off to get to the stuff underneath, but normally, for a usual anti stink bath, he's in the hydrobath where the shampoo just comes out with the water so there's no rubbing happening. Still gets itchy after that too. I should say, that like most other dogs, he's a nutcase after a bath and does the whole sliding and rubbing, which flares up the itchies too.

Good skin didnt last very long. Hivies are up and he's itchy as anything. Left him without his coat on for 20mins and came back to red raw scratchy patches. Stupid stupid dog. The amount of times I've told him that scratching only makes the itchies worse but he just won't listen....

Maybe I should've called the support forum "Puppy Inna Bubble" :laugh:

Apparently its when they have the staph that avoiding the massaging is good, irritates the pustules I think :love: We always scrub Asher, same as you say, but he doesn't get irritated by it, so not something we've had to deal with.

Poor Orbie... sorry to hear he's got the owies.... I try to tell Zayda not to lick, but she just ignores me too :)

PS: How strong is the water flow from the hydro? Some of them are pretty strong "massage" flows, that could irritate too??

Edited by zayda_asher

I don't scrub the pustule bits, but you know when they get the flaky circular bits? forgot what they're officially called. Should say I dont scrub really hard or anything, but just rub it in. I just know that when we get the scabby pussy hot spots at work, the best thing for them is to clip them and rub the shampoo firmly into the area to lift off all the dried scabs to expose the fresh skin underneath. So I do a similar thing with the flaky crusty bits Porp gets, just to get that layer off. Thankfully we haven't had a pustule issue for a while, touch wood!

Our hydrobath has a few different settings - I just use the standard shower steam.

He's a really sensitive dog in general. I spray him with a mist setting on a spray bottle and he goes mental rubbing himself all over the floor/bed then gets himself itchy. But as I said, it's usually only a temporary thing for half an hour or so until the skin settles down again.

I don't scrub the pustule bits, but you know when they get the flaky circular bits? forgot what they're officially called. Should say I dont scrub really hard or anything, but just rub it in. I just know that when we get the scabby pussy hot spots at work, the best thing for them is to clip them and rub the shampoo firmly into the area to lift off all the dried scabs to expose the fresh skin underneath. So I do a similar thing with the flaky crusty bits Porp gets, just to get that layer off. Thankfully we haven't had a pustule issue for a while, touch wood!

Our hydrobath has a few different settings - I just use the standard shower steam.

He's a really sensitive dog in general. I spray him with a mist setting on a spray bottle and he goes mental rubbing himself all over the floor/bed then gets himself itchy. But as I said, it's usually only a temporary thing for half an hour or so until the skin settles down again.

Yep, I know what you mean, that's the stage we scrub Asher at too... he really enjoys it, must feel nice getting all that crap off :)

Poor fella, I have memories of Zayda being like that when she was younger and we didn't have everything under control yet :)