Allergies And Prednisolone

How early have people seen a difference on an immunotherapy program? The vet said it could take up to 2 months, but I wonder how early it can start taking effect. Jedi is day 19 and his itchiness scores seem to be dropping?

My Vet said usually it takes about 6 months.

We did it for over a year, unfortunately didnt work for us but I don't think 2 months is long enough to tell.

Sorry I should I have said 2 months minimum. He said it could take a lot longer than that.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Erny - terrific news re progress being made!

We were back at the vet today - have not had the outbreak of hives like last time but the staph infection got worse - am guessing the humidity in Sydney is not helping. Back on ABs for 2 weeks and another 5 days of cortisone. Had a malaseb bath today which has cleaned up all the flakiness. Getting some mega-derm tomorrow.

• 3 months later...

Small update:

Fortunately we were able to establish that some of these reactions were due to adverse food reactions. He's been on elimination and had only very sporadic and very mild reactions since being on it (we do think there is an element of his atopy involved as well)... We are just about to start retesting foods again (had to stop them, as he broke out in a staph infection), so hopefully we will work out what it is.

Had a check up, and our Derm was happy with Asher's condition, in fact I think she was surprised at how good he looked.... We're going to try these new skin barrier treatments: http://www.sogevalus.com/derm_spot.html and some new supplemental stuff (histidine, inositol and pantothenic acid) which also seems to help with skin barrier stuff (this is what is in the new royal canin skin kibble for those that have seen that). Derm is happy for me to try and work out how to supplement these in their diet program, as we home prepare. If anyone wants the research article on these supplements, drop me a line with your email and I can pass on.

Also they have found that some Omega 6 is useful in skin barrier function. Normally they would use Evening Primrose Oil, but I've had my guys on that for years and now also Asher's had the Borage oil (next choice) whilst Zayda was on elimination as this is what we used for her... Can use Sun or Safflower oil, but I'm not having any fun finding a source (I'd love to find one in caps as its pre-measured that way and I don't have to bugger around with syringes to measure doses), so if anyone has seen one, let me know! Same ratio as Omega 3s, so I'm going to intro slowly to make sure they tolerate it, as that's a lot of oils! We're going to do these things with Zayda as well as they should help her too.

Also, if I get a response from the damned company rep on if the product contains propylene glycol, were going to do him once a month (every 4th bath) in pyoben as this should help with staph infections whilst he's off everything else (elimination diet) that normally keeps it in check. So we're going to hold off on retesting him, cos if we can get him into condition ok and stop the staph outbreaks, then why bother as we wont need to retrial immunotherapy with him. So as long as we can hold off the staph infections and sort out the elimination diet retrials and work out what he is allergic to food wise we should be able to not retest and not bother with trying immunotherapy again, which would make me happy as he is sensitive to anesthetics and sensitised to his last immunotherapy, so all could be as bad as the allergies! So keep your fingers crossed for us!!

Oh and we're on a new antihistamine too: Hydroxyzine 50mg x 2 daily

And we've given up actually on finding Safflower / sunflower in caps... we're rechallenging EPO today, and hopefully don't get a reaction...

I'm so happy to have my happy boy back :hug:

Spoke to Peter Hill (Derm at VSC) about the Sogeval range and he said he would like to stock it but I think having trouble getting it? Not sure how Murdoch's getting it in - I hope our lot makes it through. He said he believed it to be similar to the response you get from Alpha Kerri Oil.

Goodluck with the new regime, Zayder! Perhaps if our Sogeval order doesn't make it, you can be our black market supplier :eek:

Spoke to Peter Hill (Derm at VSC) about the Sogeval range and he said he would like to stock it but I think having trouble getting it? Not sure how Murdoch's getting it in - I hope our lot makes it through. He said he believed it to be similar to the response you get from Alpha Kerri Oil.

Goodluck with the new regime, Zayder! Perhaps if our Sogeval order doesn't make it, you can be our black market supplier :eek:

lol You mean I could make money, instead of giving it?? :o

Murdoch actually got an import license to be able to import the stuff... so your derm practice should be able to as well... its just going through the rigmarole of doing so.... Mandy did say to me that they have had problems with making sure they have a constant supply, but I'm sure this will be ironed out as they figure out how long it takes to get through customs etc.

Thanks for the well wishes... I'll keep you posted ;)

We will have to compare notes on the Sogeval - our order should arrive this week.

We did our first dose on Friday... They come in spot on tubes and the only smell is a mild alcohol one. They go on like a spot on, so I'd suggest doing each tube in a couple of spots to spread it around more... They're quite oily when you put them on, but by the time we woke up the next day, you wouldn't know it had gone on, maybe a very slight feel of it on the coat, but not unpleasant. Dogs didn't mind it, but were a bit annoyed with it running down their backs (we don't use spot-ons, so they're not used to it), but I'll spread it a little more next time and they'll get used to it. No reactions from either, which is also great!

That's about all I can say for now... will see how we go over the next few weeks... Let me know how you find it when you get them :eek:

He said he believed it to be similar to the response you get from Alpha Kerri Oil.

Forgot this bit: Its the same concept, but I believe it should actually be utilised better by the body because of what its made from and I think you use less too, as I believe with the Kerri oil you are meant to rub it through the whole coat.

We will have to compare notes on the Sogeval - our order should arrive this week.

We did our first dose on Friday... They come in spot on tubes and the only smell is a mild alcohol one. They go on like a spot on, so I'd suggest doing each tube in a couple of spots to spread it around more... They're quite oily when you put them on, but by the time we woke up the next day, you wouldn't know it had gone on, maybe a very slight feel of it on the coat, but not unpleasant. Dogs didn't mind it, but were a bit annoyed with it running down their backs (we don't use spot-ons, so they're not used to it), but I'll spread it a little more next time and they'll get used to it. No reactions from either, which is also great!

That's about all I can say for now... will see how we go over the next few weeks... Let me know how you find it when you get them :eek:

I am very interested to see how this stuff works, sounds like a great invention!

Oh man now I'm worried our order won't make it through customs :eek:

Good luck, I suppose we'll see what happens, but if they had to get an import license, then that's not a good sign :o Maybe there's a business venture in there for you!!

Edited by zayda_asher

Just checked our tracking - its cleared customs and is at the local post office for delivery - guaranteed delivery is due for tomorrow!

That's great news!

Did you guys just order off the site as a "private citizen" so to speak, or as someone in the Vet industry? If I can order it in directly, it might be easier and cheaper.

Well, I tried ordering it first from our clinic, but they cancelled the order because they said they wouldn't ship to Aus due to customs etc. So we may have made the same order but given a US address and got them to send it to us instead :laugh:

Well, I tried ordering it first from our clinic, but they cancelled the order because they said they wouldn't ship to Aus due to customs etc. So we may have made the same order but given a US address and got them to send it to us instead :laugh:

Let me know how it works for all of you, it sounds very interesting.

Oh, right! Be very careful doing that regularly guys... Customs will catch on eventually (and confiscation of product), sniffer dogs randomly go through the depos and they randomly xray too... first times often a warning, but the fines are huge!! ;)

Edited by zayda_asher

Oh, right! Be very careful doing that regularly guys... Customs will catch on eventually (and confiscation of product), sniffer dogs randomly go through the depos and they randomly xray too... first times often a warning, but the fines are huge!! ;)

But how do you know if a product/item is not allowed to be imported? It's not prescription medicine from what I can see? The company we got it from said they do ship internationally and couldn't really tell me why they wouldn't ship to us other than customs and prescription medicine, but if it is prescription medicine, I'm more than happy to provide them with the prescription.

Oh well, hopefully our local Derms will have it soon!

That's about all I can say for now... will see how we go over the next few weeks... Let me know how you find it when you get them :laugh:

Mine was posted to me by Murdoch - along with the invoice LOL. I am yet to start it as I have had so much success with the 4 EPO tablets a day.

How do I know I these have been successful - because Beans has eaten Beef and 1/3 of a large fruit and nut toblerone without going into meltdown - UNHEARDOF!