Dog Doors

Blaqjaq

Hi All,

We have just adopted a 2 year old Standard Poodle and he is used to being able to walk in and out of the house as he pleases. We have no issues with this at all but it is new behaviour for us as our other dog has always been outside when we want and inside when we want.

So, I think it's time for us to get a dog door but I'm quite confused! We have a sliding glass door, and I very much like the "Patio Doors" which clip between the door frame and the door. They look really good and seem to be perfect, but I don't like the price ($450+ for one big enough for the Standard Poodle).

Are there any more cost effective options out there? It'd be awesome if I can get a door built into the glass on the sliding patio door, but I don't know if anybody does them big enough for our dog, and if they're cost effective?

What do you use? How much was it? And where should I buy it from? :(

I only know the largest size we sell at Bunnings is $399 not sure of any other option? Apart from a regular dog door. Hoepfully someone else might have some other ideas for you!!

Hi All,

We have just adopted a 2 year old Standard Poodle and he is used to being able to walk in and out of the house as he pleases. We have no issues with this at all but it is new behaviour for us as our other dog has always been outside when we want and inside when we want.

So, I think it's time for us to get a dog door but I'm quite confused! We have a sliding glass door, and I very much like the "Patio Doors" which clip between the door frame and the door. They look really good and seem to be perfect, but I don't like the price ($450+ for one big enough for the Standard Poodle).

Are there any more cost effective options out there? It'd be awesome if I can get a door built into the glass on the sliding patio door, but I don't know if anybody does them big enough for our dog, and if they're cost effective?

What do you use? How much was it? And where should I buy it from? :(

Check out same sort of thing from web site www.piginmud.com.au they have those pet doors that fit into where sliding door is also think they are cheaper than $450 are available at bunnings, other than that you're best bet would be to get other type of pet door and cut hole in door and fit to that, or what I did was go to demolition yard get another outside door as I rent and landlord wasn't rapt in idea of cutting hole in back door, so measured door and got second hand one which I put on a cut hole in which solved problem, I liked the patio type doors but yeah very expensive, if you were able to you could take pic of one in bunnings and measure mightn't be too hard to make with frame and perspex type stuff.

Edited by mutt lover

check out your local classifieds, gumtree ect.

I picked mine up secondhand for $120 and there is one for sale on allclassified (in Canberra) which is used by a Golden Retriever for $200 so it is worth looking around. There was also some for sale on Ebay which had cheap courier costs.

Is there anyone in your household who is able to make something to jam between your half closed door and the doorframe? We have a piece of wallboard for the width we require, with a hole cut in the bottom and our Golden Retrievers manage this with no problems. Only thing is we don't have a flap but find this isn't necessary anyway. I have tried to insert a picture. Cost is minimal.

We needed the biggest door available and it was a bit of a mission to find it. I searched on the manufactures web site so I know the size existed but it took lots of ringing around to find a pet shop that stocked one that big. I also had a lot of shops try to convince me they didn't come that big and just to go with the one they had in stock (which would have been too small).

We got the type that goes into a wooden door. It's permanent as you have to saw a hole into the door. It cost around $300 and that was 7 years ago.

I made my own for a sliding glass door. Bought the lamenated panel from Bunnings (comes in a range of colours) about $30. Cut to size. Cut appropriate size hole in bottom with jigsaw. Then get some stiff plastic, again from Bunnings only a couple of dollars a metre, and some hinges. Cut to fit hole and attach with small nut and bolt. I have added a strip of extra stiff plastic along the bottom to stop it from curling. Fit into the door and then use a thin piece of wood offcut to jam into gap at the top. This will hold it in place. You can still open and close the sliding door as it just butts up against the edge of the dog door.

post-13207-1263110128_thumb.jpg

Good luck!