Hydrobath - What Age?

Is there a certain age a puppy/dog should be before they have a hydrobath?

I got Jazz at 9 weeks and bathed her in the laundry tun until about 12 weeks then used the hydrobath. That was partly because she was too little before that for me to easily reach in the hydrobath and also I did worry it was too powerful whereas using the hose attachment in the laundry I could vary the pressure of the water.

The head on my hydrobath has a trigger nozzle so I can vary the pressure so will do pups of any age.

When we got our standard poodle he got a bath at 9 weeks and I recently bathed a shih pup at 8 weeks :(

Persoanlly I think if it's a clippable breed you should start as soon as possible.

Hydrobaths can be noisy and the sensation a bit strange at first, so it makes things easier for the pup and the groomer (whether that's you or you take the pup to a salon) if started early.

My GSD pup got his bath the very first night we got him. He was off the plane, 30+ minutes in the car on the way home and then straight into the warm hydrobath at about 11pm that night.

While I would rather not have bathed him at night ... he stunk big time.

The earlier they get use to it the better really. I guess it should aslo be asked what breed of dog it is. Really tiny puppys we wash in a hydrobath but with a hand help hose so they get the idea but not the high pressure hose. Both my dogs a goldie and std poodle were washed in the hydrobath with the hydrobath hose at 8 weeks for the goldie and 10 weeks for the poodle (the ages I got them). At my salon Ive had no trouble washing puppies in the hydrobath... We only groom dogs past full vaccination though so most are 12 weeks. We have had 10 week old poodle pups before. The woner was happy taking the risk of them not being fully faccinated becasue the hair was irritating the eyes and she wanted their faces and feet done.

the best place you can go to is somewhere that you can hydrobath him yourself if u want to do it quickly after getting him... rather than risk a 8wk old retriever angel at a salon where there is a chance (no matter how clean the shop) that it could get parvo or something... My shop is spotless but I woudlnt risk a clients dog... my own were in at a young age (b4 full vaccs).

Congrats in advance. cant wait to see pics.

Here is my little boy's first bath ... he was sooo tiny at 6.5kg :thumbsup:

We have our own hydrobath but I definately wouldn't be taking a little pup to a public hydrobath until it is fully vaccinated.

Our boy also got bathed in a bucket or in the laundry tub a number of times after walking or sitting in poo... :)

post-1668-1263111443_thumb.jpg

post-1668-1263111464_thumb.jpg