Question On Heat Cycles In Dogs

Howl

Can someone please tell me whether it is normal for a bitch to come back into heat several weeks after whelping?

Thanks

It depends on a few things..............did the bitch lose the litter? It could also be ovarian polyps or similar.

Can someone please tell me whether it is normal for a bitch to come back into heat several weeks after whelping?

Thanks

It depends on a few things..............did the bitch lose the litter? It could also be ovarian polyps or similar.

I had better clarify that this is not my dog, just one in the neighbourhood.

The pups are about 4-5 weeks old I think. The bitch is in terribly thin condition which is concern enough, but then I saw she has a bloody discharge too. So I wonder if she is coming into heat again (and of course the owners have an entire male, just ready and waiting), or whether something else is up.

Not unusual for a bitch with young puppies to still be bleeding slightly, the same as with humans who give birth. The discharge can sometimes be present for 6 weeks or more. If it were offensive looking or smelled, then it would be more concerning.

As for the bitch being skinny, feeding puppies takes a lot out of a girl and not all bitches do it easily. My American Cocker bitch is only now starting to "bloom" again and she only reared one puppy who is now 11 weeks old whilst my Staffordshire Bull Terrier bitch who had a litter of 9 (now 7 weeks old) is maintaining her weight beautifully.

But in answer to your question....a bitch cycle starts from the first day of her season so taking into account that it is approximately 9 weeks for gestation, then depending upon the normal length of her cycle, it is possible for a bitch to be thinking about coming into season again with puppies that age BUT it is more likely the discharge is a leftover from the litter she currently has.

Not unusual for a bitch with young puppies to still be bleeding slightly, the same as with humans who give birth. The discharge can sometimes be present for 6 weeks or more. If it were offensive looking or smelled, then it would be more concerning.

As for the bitch being skinny, feeding puppies takes a lot out of a girl and not all bitches do it easily. My American Cocker bitch is only now starting to "bloom" again and she only reared one puppy who is now 11 weeks old whilst my Staffordshire Bull Terrier bitch who had a litter of 9 (now 7 weeks old) is maintaining her weight beautifully.

But in answer to your question....a bitch cycle starts from the first day of her season so taking into account that it is approximately 9 weeks for gestation, then depending upon the normal length of her cycle, it is possible for a bitch to be thinking about coming into season again with puppies that age BUT it is more likely the discharge is a leftover from the litter she currently has.

No she wont be in season again.Its just post whelp discharge which can go for up to 8 weeks in my experience.