Silly People At Dog Parks.

I'm pretty sure that regardless of if the people were asian or not, MissbeRidgerant could tell that they didn't know better. Shall we reword? "She was talking to a gathering, be it a group or a small party, of persons, non male or female, who may or may not subscribe to any racial background, and obviously they didn't know better as demonstrated by their actions.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

because they would call there dog away from mine as if say oh that dog is dangerous, listening to what the lady was saying. So they were judging my dog on what some lady said. Sorry but they didn't know better

If someone told me that there was a dangerous dog at the park I would keep my dog away from them. And I'm not Asian. :banghead: .

Your post implied that BECAUSE there were Asian they didn't know better. You might have meant no offense, but you are perpetuating a stereotype that Asian's don't know much about dogs. It is silly and untrue.

So if some one told you that because a dog still had his nuts he was dangerous you would believe them?

I said Asian because most asian people have a fear of larger dogs, PLEASE NOTE I SAID MOST and was implying "Oh great another person telling lies about big dogs to make them more scared of them" But didn't really think I had to explain every little detail.

I'm pretty sure that regardless of if the people were asian or not, MissbeRidgerant could tell that they didn't know better. Shall we reword? "She was talking to a gathering, be it a group or a small party, of persons, non male or female, who may or may not subscribe to any racial background, and obviously they didn't know better as demonstrated by their actions.

Yes thank you.

Yes thank you.

Me and Sophie will still play with you :banghead:

Yes thank you.

Me and Sophie will still play with you :mad

Haha thank you :banghead:

We took Boss to a dog beach on the weekend for the first time.. We live in the country so dont have any dogs parks/beaches near us...

people gave us bad looks cos of Boss. Boss is a pure bred blue heeler that isnt fixed yet. People that had small dogs would call their dog away from Boss. But on a good note, a lady with a huge dog ( i dont know the breed) said that boss was a good looking dog and he can play with her dog anytime, also dont worry about the small dog owners...

We took Boss to a dog beach on the weekend for the first time.. We live in the country so dont have any dogs parks/beaches near us...

people gave us bad looks cos of Boss. Boss is a pure bred blue heeler that isnt fixed yet. People that had small dogs would call their dog away from Boss. But on a good note, a lady with a huge dog ( i dont know the breed) said that boss was a good looking dog and he can play with her dog anytime, also dont worry about the small dog owners...

Peta if you took a toddler to a park and a bunch of big teenagers wanted to play footy with him, would you be happy with that?

because they would call there dog away from mine as if say oh that dog is dangerous, listening to what the lady was saying. So they were judging my dog on what some lady said. Sorry but they didn't know better

If someone told me that there was a dangerous dog at the park I would keep my dog away from them. And I'm not Asian. :) .

Your post implied that BECAUSE there were Asian they didn't know better. You might have meant no offense, but you are perpetuating a stereotype that Asian's don't know much about dogs. It is silly and untrue.

So if some one told you that because a dog still had his nuts he was dangerous you would believe them?

I said Asian because most asian people have a fear of larger dogs, PLEASE NOTE I SAID MOST and was implying "Oh great another person telling lies about big dogs to make them more scared of them" But didn't really think I had to explain every little detail.

Well, if I saw an unknown dog in the park and someone told me that dog was dangerous, I would be vary of it (desexed or not) and would call my dogs away. If the person specifically said the dog is dangerous because it is entire, I would correct the person, but would still watch out for that dog as I would with any unknown dog. But I have no issues if my dogs play with entire dogs.

My dog is entire and I've been told many times how dangerous he looks because he is a bull terrier. Now my boy has had two dogs attack him, one a chi and the other a big black hairy dog lol, and both times he just wanted to get out of there. He's never retalliated or had a 'go' at any dog. I think the old 'you can't judge a book by it's cover' is very telling.

If someone told me that there was a dangerous dog at the park I would keep my dog away from them. And I'm not Asian. :) .

Well, if I saw an unknown dog in the park and someone told me that dog was dangerous, I would be vary of it (desexed or not) and would call my dogs away. If the person specifically said the dog is dangerous because it is entire, I would correct the person, but would still watch out for that dog as I would with any unknown dog. But I have no issues if my dogs play with entire dogs.

Thats fair enough I would do the same.

But this lady was pointing at him and saying watch out for him he is dangerous because he is entire and isn't allowed at the local dog park.

My dog is entire and I've been told many times how dangerous he looks because he is a bull terrier. Now my boy has had two dogs attack him, one a chi and the other a big black hairy dog lol, and both times he just wanted to get out of there. He's never retalliated or had a 'go' at any dog. I think the old 'you can't judge a book by it's cover' is very telling.

I will fess up and say Bull Terriers are some of the only dogs that do frighten me due to having one have a go at me as a kid - that said was i ever to meet a nice freindly one and be able to sit and have some pats and cuddles, i would probably then be fine. Silly isn't it how I feel like that, yet don't understand people thinking my GSD is scary though she's twice the size of a Bully!

C'mon Brisbane, someone introduce me to their Bully!

I will fess up and say Bull Terriers are some of the only dogs that do frighten me due to having one have a go at me as a kid - that said was i ever to meet a nice freindly one and be able to sit and have some pats and cuddles, i would probably then be fine. Silly isn't it how I feel like that, yet don't understand people thinking my GSD is scary though she's twice the size of a Bully!

C'mon Brisbane, someone introduce me to their Bully!

It is very funny because I'm always looking to protect him now and I sometimes forget that others are frightened by my boy!

Oh - exactly the topic I was looking for! I went to my local dog park this morning and ended up in a very bad mood... There was this lady walking her dog off leash and if the dog is off leash I don't see a reason to call my friendly dog back?! So my dog went there and I said "good morning" and got no answer - that should have told me something! So Teal'c run there and her dog was happy to play but as she ignored us completely I decided to move on. When she got to the water-bowel and started filling it for her dog Teal'c run there again to drink and she shouted "NO" at him?! Waving the stick she had for her dog. So both dogs started getting excited about the stick and she kept shouting at me to call my dog back and that she will take it further in case he keeps attacking her... I lost it ;)

Why are people like that? Why couldn't she just have said: Good morning - can you call your dog back my dog is not allowed to play or I'm scared of black dogs!? :)

Peta if you took a toddler to a park and a bunch of big teenagers wanted to play footy with him, would you be happy with that?

Boss is only 12 months old and doesnt play rough..

Yeah i would let my toddler play with the teenages... you would be suprised how that teenagers do play nice with little kids.. but it must be a country thing...

I've got a funny one, I was at the beach with my dogs and we were playing in the water, I turned around to look up the beach and see a lovely Lab digging into my bag which had some treats for the dogs in it, I ran up to my stuff where he had so kindly devoured half the bag. I was yelling at him to get away and he eventually did with his owner looking on sheepishly, despite the fact that it wasn't the right thing to do I can look at it and laugh. Sometimes things happen and people don't always mean it. I'm just glad he didn't try and eat my lunch too :)

Oh - exactly the topic I was looking for! I went to my local dog park this morning and ended up in a very bad mood... There was this lady walking her dog off leash and if the dog is off leash I don't see a reason to call my friendly dog back?! So my dog went there and I said "good morning" and got no answer - that should have told me something! So Teal'c run there and her dog was happy to play but as she ignored us completely I decided to move on. When she got to the water-bowel and started filling it for her dog Teal'c run there again to drink and she shouted "NO" at him?! Waving the stick she had for her dog. So both dogs started getting excited about the stick and she kept shouting at me to call my dog back and that she will take it further in case he keeps attacking her... I lost it ;)

Why are people like that? Why couldn't she just have said: Good morning - can you call your dog back my dog is not allowed to play or I'm scared of black dogs!? :)

I don't think you should ever allow your dog to approach another dog without the permission of that dog's owner.

But that's just me.

They don't know if your dog is friendly or not. Their dog may have issues and not like being rushed - previous aggression by other dogs, and injury that can cause pain if the dog is knocked over, or may have behavioural issues that are controlled as long as the dog is not crowded.

The last time I went to the dog park was a disaster and I'm now the outcast at this park :) ;)

There were lots of dogs there so I should have known better than go in. We walked in and I unclipped my dogs leads (not before being harassed by probably 10 dogs at once with not one owner even looking our direction mid chat). Immediately my girl was harassed by multiple dogs chasing her and she was uncomfortable so I decided that we should leave!

Meanwhile my boy had run over to the side fence of the park which joins a play ground. There was a child in the playground and his mother was inside the dog park. She proceeded to pick up my dog by his two front paws and throw :crossfingers::crossfingers::( him over the fence into the playground. I was about 5 meters away from him and he squeeled.

IMO that is just not on and I let her have it - probably could have been somewhat more calm!!! But seriously what if my dog was not good with children and she had just thrown him into a playground full of kids and he bit one of them or he bit her, not to mention what if she had done damage to his legs by picking him up like that or had he landed funny after being thrown.

While dealing with that I was still trying to stop all the other dogs harassing my girl :(

So finally I get everything together, leads on dogs to get the hell out of that place when I hear all the owners who chat and do not pay any attention to their dogs bitching about me and my over reaction. I lost my temper and let them have it too explaining exactly why I overreacted. They may not mind what happens to their dogs (I'm sure they wouldn't have even noticed) but I sure do :( I'm definately not a confrontational person at all so I left the park shaking like a leaf and I'll NEVER go back!!! This dog park is evil.

The last time I went to the dog park was a disaster and I'm now the outcast at this park ;) :crossfingers:

There were lots of dogs there so I should have known better than go in. We walked in and I unclipped my dogs leads (not before being harassed by probably 10 dogs at once with not one owner even looking our direction mid chat). Immediately my girl was harassed by multiple dogs chasing her and she was uncomfortable so I decided that we should leave!

Meanwhile my boy had run over to the side fence of the park which joins a play ground. There was a child in the playground and his mother was inside the dog park. She proceeded to pick up my dog by his two front paws and throw :crossfingers::(:( him over the fence into the playground. I was about 5 meters away from him and he squeeled.

WTF??????????? :(

This dog park is evil.

Welcome to my world. :) Public dog parks... *shudders*

Eep - a woman threw your dog? Gah!!

I love the dog park - the ones we've been to are brilliant, the dogs are all good with each other or their owners keep them on lead, and everyone has been freindly, except the morons with their 3 year old. Mind you the park i go to is massive (5 acres i think) so it's not like we're all in each others way. Although i've been warned by a vet that there's a heap of Kennel Cough around at the moment so to keep sophie away from the dog park for a couple of weeks.

I don't think you should ever allow your dog to approach another dog without the permission of that dog's owner.

But that's just me.

They don't know if your dog is friendly or not. Their dog may have issues and not like being rushed - previous aggression by other dogs, and injury that can cause pain if the dog is knocked over, or may have behavioural issues that are controlled as long as the dog is not crowded.

Well - I agree if the other dog is on the leash I would never let my dog approach or if the other owner says something. But in my opinion the dog owner with the issue should react... That would make things so much easier! I mean she saw me and walked past us it was not like that Teal'c came out of nowhere...