Filters, Hoods And Extenders

PooMother

FWIW I'm a weakling and I don't use a monopod, though Hubster did buy me one I've never used it.

The 17-85 is a fine lens to start out with. I would highly recommend that you use it for a while and really play with it to see what it can and can't do for you. THEN start thinking about what you are not getting from it and what goals you have THEN start shopping.

Personally, I have to say skip the videos. Just pick up your camera and start shooting. Get off the green box or P mode. You can either ease yourself off of it by using Tv (shutter priority) or Av (aperture priority) or go whole hog and go to M (manual) which isn't that scary. Here's a quickie to get you started:

Tv - use me when you know you'll have a fast subject and need to freeze the action. Set the shutter speed and the camera will choose the aperture that is suitable to give you a good exposure in a general scene. If the camera cannot select an aperture for you, you need to bump up your ISO or decrease your shutter speed slightly.

Av - use me when you want to control your depth of field. Set the aperture and the camera will choose the shutter speed that will give you a good exposure across the scene. This mode is often used when the light will be changing but you know you want to keep your depth of field the same - think shooting inside your house, going outside onto your patio, then out into the sunny yard and then into the shade. That path will need a changing shutter speed each time and letting the camera do it can work well.

M - use me when you want to control what you are capturing. Have a play to see what the different combinations do in different circumstances. M is also invaluable when you have a tough scene that is very bright with a little dark or very dark with a little bright.

You will also benefit from learning how to change from Evaluative (which is usually what your camera is on and simply means it takes the whole scene into account) to Spot (you point the camera where you want it to concentrate on) metering.

It sounds overwhelming but most people pick it up pretty quickly. And once you get a "feel" for what works in the conditions you shoot, you get quicker at changing your settings in camera as you just "know" where to start. But the key is to shoot until your fingers bleed :D

FWIW I'm a weakling and I don't use a monopod, though Hubster did buy me one I've never used it.

The 17-85 is a fine lens to start out with. I would highly recommend that you use it for a while and really play with it to see what it can and can't do for you. THEN start thinking about what you are not getting from it and what goals you have THEN start shopping.

Personally, I have to say skip the videos. Just pick up your camera and start shooting. Get off the green box or P mode. You can either ease yourself off of it by using Tv (shutter priority) or Av (aperture priority) or go whole hog and go to M (manual) which isn't that scary. Here's a quickie to get you started:

Tv - use me when you know you'll have a fast subject and need to freeze the action. Set the shutter speed and the camera will choose the aperture that is suitable to give you a good exposure in a general scene. If the camera cannot select an aperture for you, you need to bump up your ISO or decrease your shutter speed slightly.

Av - use me when you want to control your depth of field. Set the aperture and the camera will choose the shutter speed that will give you a good exposure across the scene. This mode is often used when the light will be changing but you know you want to keep your depth of field the same - think shooting inside your house, going outside onto your patio, then out into the sunny yard and then into the shade. That path will need a changing shutter speed each time and letting the camera do it can work well.

M - use me when you want to control what you are capturing. Have a play to see what the different combinations do in different circumstances. M is also invaluable when you have a tough scene that is very bright with a little dark or very dark with a little bright.

You will also benefit from learning how to change from Evaluative (which is usually what your camera is on and simply means it takes the whole scene into account) to Spot (you point the camera where you want it to concentrate on) metering.

It sounds overwhelming but most people pick it up pretty quickly. And once you get a "feel" for what works in the conditions you shoot, you get quicker at changing your settings in camera as you just "know" where to start. But the key is to shoot until your fingers bleed :D

Thank you I appreciate that :-). I know my prob is that I am scared of the manual side of things lol. Will give all of the above a go today.

I am going to order the 1.8 50mm along with the 580ex flash and a couple of other little gadgets from BH - I can get what i want shipped to hubby in Miami for less than $600Aus, I havent found a speedie for much less than $600 so figure it a good buy :-)