Filters, Hoods And Extenders

PooMother

Could someone plese tell me the following

Do I need to purchase a filter for every new lens I have and should I get UV or CPL?

Do I need a hood and what are they used for?

What does an Extender do and do I need one?

Thanks in advance again :o

I personally don't use protective UV filters. Some people swear by them.

Circular polarizers can be useful - it's worth having a look around and learning what they do. I have one, have used it about four times and lug it around but never put it on :o

Hoods offer protection for the front element of the glass. They also help reduce flare so can be very useful outside especially. I use hoods sometimes. The lenses that have hoods (of mine) I usually carry the hood around attached backwards so it's always there if I need it. I have several lenses that see a lot of work that I don't even own hoods for. Again, some people won't go out without a hood. Me, I'm pretty happy even if I don't have one.

Extenders - if you don't know what they are or how they work, then you don't need one yet :)

Thanks Kja. We have a filter on our current lense and it stays on all the time.

I am going to buy a 50mm 1.8, this will be my second lense so maybe I will also purchase a hood and see how I go :-)

Wont worry about extenders yet :-)

I always have filters on since I am outside and would prefer to replace a filter than a lens. I use skylight which are similar to UV but apparently better for the type of stuff I do.

I find the hood on the big 100-400 is great to keep the rain off the lens when taking pics in awful weather and guess it helps with the sunglare (I try to keep the sun behind me though if possible). That lens also has a filter on at all times.

I always have filters on since I am outside and would prefer to replace a filter than a lens. I use skylight which are similar to UV but apparently better for the type of stuff I do.

I find the hood on the big 100-400 is great to keep the rain off the lens when taking pics in awful weather and guess it helps with the sunglare (I try to keep the sun behind me though if possible). That lens also has a filter on at all times.

Ok well it cant be a bad thing to have afliter for each lens. I have had my camera for 2 years and have done nothing with it so am now going to buy a couple of new lenses so was wondering about all of the 'accessories' you can get. Thanks

Actually, it can be a bad thing to have a filter on - some filters will reduce image quality, though you may not really notice. Some filters can also increase the chance of flare and other things. If you are going to do it, buy good ones.

I shoot outdoors, on the beach, in the wind, laying in the dirt and other lens dangerous conditions all the time and I've not had an issue. I have no plans to add filters to any of my lenses.

No, all hoods, like all filters, do not fit every lens. You need to get the right hood for the particular lens. A search at B&H for your lens will pop up the accessories menu next to it and it will list the hood you need.

Actually, it can be a bad thing to have a filter on - some filters will reduce image quality, though you may not really notice. Some filters can also increase the chance of flare and other things. If you are going to do it, buy good ones.

I shoot outdoors, on the beach, in the wind, laying in the dirt and other lens dangerous conditions all the time and I've not had an issue. I have no plans to add filters to any of my lenses.

No, all hoods, like all filters, do not fit every lens. You need to get the right hood for the particular lens. A search at B&H for your lens will pop up the accessories menu next to it and it will list the hood you need.

Thanks.....whats B and H?

bhphotovideo.com - a great online camera store in the US that is NOT a bait and switch scammer (unlike many others - if you are ever buying online, check resellerratings.com first), very reputable, reasonable prices, and good on shipping costs too - and with Us / AUD nerly 1 / 1 good value for lots of photographic stuff.

I do use filters for just about all my lens (except the fisheye), but agree with Kristin - if you are going to spend the money on decent lens, you don't put a cheap filter in front. I also use the hoods, 1 for protection, and 2 for sun glare, esp if I am shooting with the 17-35, it is great to avoid sun flare or excess light coming in and tricking the camera

bhphotovideo.com - a great online camera store in the US that is NOT a bait and switch scammer (unlike many others - if you are ever buying online, check resellerratings.com first), very reputable, reasonable prices, and good on shipping costs too - and with Us / AUD nerly 1 / 1 good value for lots of photographic stuff.

I do use filters for just about all my lens (except the fisheye), but agree with Kristin - if you are going to spend the money on decent lens, you don't put a cheap filter in front. I also use the hoods, 1 for protection, and 2 for sun glare, esp if I am shooting with the 17-35, it is great to avoid sun flare or excess light coming in and tricking the camera

Excellent, thanks for that....better go for a look cos OH left for USA today :-)

Depends what features you want in a camera - some people would use both and not find any difference and others would say one over the other clearly. Best site to compare caemras is www.dpreview.com .

I've never had any issues with quality of an image due to filters - though my stuff is mainly horse sports (equestrian, racing, yearlings, etc) and some dogs/animals.

If you are trying for arty stuff I guess it might affect things but I don't 'do' arty stuff!

Both cameras are very very good.

I don't much like dpreview user forums but their own reviews are very good usually, so be sure to check them out.

POTN has a camera body section (and a lens section and an everything else section and a whole heap more). It's a great resource with a lot of different type of users. As with anything, take everything with a grain of salt - advice on the internet is worth what you paid for it, so use your own brain, too :mad IMHO you can't go wrong with either body at all. Want to shoot video - go 7D. Don't care about video, want to get a great body at a very good price - go 40D. I won't be getting rid of my 40Ds in the near future.

I had a quick squiz on POTN for 7D vs 40D threads and didn't see any specifically in the first three pages, but there are bound to be some. And there are tons of threads about the 7D and about the 40D. There are some threads about the 7D vs 50D. The 50D did not appeal to me as I already had the 40D and the 40D fits my needs more snugly than the 50D so there was no reason to switch over. Both the 50D and the 40D are very very good cameras. If I didn't have anything at all, I'd still probably buy the 40D now as I have no need for or interest in the video and the 40D is a heck of a lot of camera at an awesome price point (which means more money for lenses!)

Whichever body you choose will serve you well - there are no duds in the recent releases.

We already have the 40D but the 7d looked a good price, didnt realise it was just the video part on it which we dont need as we have a video camera and rarely use it :-) Am going nuts on the BH website though ohhhhh some of those 100-400 lens drool 1500, maybe I will get that on my next trip over as a pressy to myself.

LOL go look at the archives on POTN.

It's sharp, reasonably fast and versatile. It also has a lovely reach (400) and I like the range (100-400).

Here's one day out I had with it just for fun.

And although I love to help people spend money, sometimes it's better to slow down, figure out what you really want and then fill that gap. If you aren't sure what a lens (or other bit) does you need to at least have a look-see around to see if you have a "ah-ha" moment when you stumble across something or perhaps you don't really need it. Most folks look for new lenses because something is missing for them - reach, wide, speed, low light shooting, better backgrounds (the ever over-used "bokeh" word) are some of the common things and each one of those has different lenses as the solution.

Once you start shopping, it's a slippery slope and you can end up with a TON of stuff...my own office is overflowing. I tried to narrow my own gear list down last month, but when I sat down and objectively went through my lenses & what I use them for there was only one lens that never gets used (and that I should sell coz it's a great lens) and one other that only gets used on the very odd occasion - but it feels like I have too much stuff!

LOL go look at the archives on POTN.

It's sharp, reasonably fast and versatile. It also has a lovely reach (400) and I like the range (100-400).

Here's one day out I had with it just for fun.

And although I love to help people spend money, sometimes it's better to slow down, figure out what you really want and then fill that gap. If you aren't sure what a lens (or other bit) does you need to at least have a look-see around to see if you have a "ah-ha" moment when you stumble across something or perhaps you don't really need it. Most folks look for new lenses because something is missing for them - reach, wide, speed, low light shooting, better backgrounds (the ever over-used "bokeh" word) are some of the common things and each one of those has different lenses as the solution.

Once you start shopping, it's a slippery slope and you can end up with a TON of stuff...my own office is overflowing. I tried to narrow my own gear list down last month, but when I sat down and objectively went through my lenses & what I use them for there was only one lens that never gets used (and that I should sell coz it's a great lens) and one other that only gets used on the very odd occasion - but it feels like I have too much stuff!

I guess I am wanting to take pics of my grandies and dogs - posed but also ones where they are doing stuff, looking cute but too far away - action shots. I also like taking landscape shots but havent bothered as the lens I have is a Canon EFS 17-85mm but I only use it on auto. I need to learn how to use my camera and Im a visual person so reading the book made no sense to me lol - am actually going to order the DVDs that someone else mentioned in another thread