Do Dogs Get Mosquito Bites?

FranVT

I was just flea-combing Atlas (our nightly ritual) when I noticed some raised, red bumps on his furless areas (tummy, testicles) not heaps just a few but they look itchy. I didn't find any fleas on him but I did find a patch near the base of his tail that's rubbed quite raw that I have never seen before. The mosquitoes are really bad here at the moment, do you guys think they might be biting him and that's what the bumps and itchy patches are? Going to take him to the vet in the morning, he doesn't appear distressed and he's not scratching a lot but I want to make sure everything's okay... Am I being silly? Is there anything I can do for him? I have flea wash, white wash and puppy wash would any of that help? I gave him a Comfortis yesterday for the first time.

Anything I can do to stop them biting him? Tea tree wash or something? Poor fella.

Head down to your local rural and get some equine insect repellent. If you can't get there, use human stuff like Rid. Just keep it well clear of his eyes.

Keeping him inside at night will significantly reduce his exposure.

He's always inside at night, in a crate in our bedroom and we have one of those plug-in mosquito tab thingies in the wall (high up though). Thanks heaps for that I'll go and grab some equine insect spray tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Anything I can do to stop them biting him? Tea tree wash or something? Poor fella.
Advantix® is a once-a-month topical flea, tick, and mosquito treatment for dogs and puppies 7 weeks of age and older. Advantix® repels and kills mosquitoes before they can bite Keeps ticks from biting. Stops fleas from biting. Keeps working after swimming or bathing
.. from www.vetproductsdirect.com.au

He's always inside at night, in a crate in our bedroom and we have one of those plug-in mosquito tab thingies in the wall (high up though). Thanks heaps for that I'll go and grab some equine insect spray tomorrow. :thumbsup:

There are quite a few brands. Repel X and Shoofly are probably two of the most common. You can get lotions and sprays.

Advantix® is a once-a-month topical flea, tick, and mosquito treatment for dogs and puppies 7 weeks of age and older. Advantix® repels and kills mosquitoes before they can bite Keeps ticks from biting. Stops fleas from biting. Keeps working after swimming or bathing
.. from www.vetproductsdirect.com.au

Oh wow I didn't know that! I thought it was just fleas and ticks! Thanks Ams! Will definitely give the spray/lotion a go first because we just started him on Comfortis and I want to give it a chance to work properly though I didn't find any fleas on him tonight and I normally find 1 or 2 little ones. B**tards.

Kei gets mozzie bites. With his short coat they are really obvious bumps too :rofl: Though they dont seem to bother him at all.

I have some Rufus and Coco spray that is supposed to prevent mozzies/fleas/bugs but I've never used it ..I always forget :thumbsup:

Most of blood sucking insects, ticks and mites can affect dogs. It can be mosquitoes, but can also be biting midges, sandflies, fleas, lice etc.

Most of mosquitoes are mostly active right after sunset for about an hour, after that their number should drop. However, there are mozzies that are active during the day and they can be pretty aggresive too. Midges are also active during the day.

I do believe that repellents suggested by others would affect most of these buggers. However, I would be careful with the dosage, because repellents themselves can cause rush (I know from personal experience).