Resource Guarding

Agility Dogs

I had to share this - it was very cute.

Both my dogs are resource guarders to a degree - the boy learned it from the girl. It is under control/managed so is not a problem.

Tonight I saw a slightly different side of it. OH gave the cats chicken necks for dinner. Unlike the dogs the cats are apparently allowed to drag their food all over the house. :eek:

Xena (BC) will steal food from anyone she thinks will let her get away with it. She was about to take the neck from our really timid little cat Sassy when CK (other BC) stepped in.

CK will usually back down from Xena when it comes to food, but he came in and stood beside Sass until Xena backed off. He then lay down beside her and let her finish the neck, then he came and sat between Xena, the wing and me until I removed the 'problem'.

Very interesting dynamics.

Interesting.

So the treasure CK was guarding was happy Sassy? Or do you think it was just dog-in-the-manger stuff? That he didn't want it himself, and didn't care if the cat ate it, but he was determined that Xena was not getting it? Which do you think?

And where did the wing afterwards come from? :eek:

Border collies are funny critters. Poppy stopped a fight between 2 of my cats the other day. Was very interesting to watch. All the borders I have owned have at one time or other displayed 'looking after some critter' behavior.

Border collies are funny critters. Poppy stopped a fight between 2 of my cats the other day. Was very interesting to watch. All the borders I have owned have at one time or other displayed 'looking after some critter' behavior.

I'll 2nd that. Years ago my old BC, Shine, had a joey wallaby underneath my slightly elevated house. The joey was trying to get into her "pouch". Shine was looking very concerned and was licking the joey and trying to toilet it. I couldn't get under the house to retrieve the joey so I asked Shine to bring the baby to me and she nosed it all the way out to me! I took the joey to the local wildlife carer and Shine seemed happy enough with that.

But then, I also had a BC who would lie on the floor between the cat and the cat's full bowl. Wouldn't eat the food 'cause she knew she wasn't allowed but wouldn't let the cat eat it either!

Yes BC's are funny critters - gotta luv 'em.