Cost For Dog Transport

dark angel

I guess people bringing pets into pet homes really don't have to worry as much about breeders.

Anyone flying a puppy should worry :curtsey:

poor Midniara lives in Tassie, Belgians love the water but dont think they would make the distance, I've heard that 'boat' is not even an option.

I guess what I'm saying is that transporting a puppy or dog is a calculated risk, unless you go and collect it yourself.

If you are going to suggest a mode of transport, then you really need to know what goes on before doing so. It might not be as big of a risk to a fully vaccinated older dog going to a pet home, but could potentially be disasterous for a breeder who is using that transport company in good faith, thinking there are no pound dogs on there.

Now, we could significantly reduce the risks associated with transport, if people vaccinated their dogs and puppies and big one would be if all dogs from pounds were quarantined.

I guess what I'm saying is that transporting a puppy or dog is a calculated risk, unless you go and collect it yourself.

If you are going to suggest a mode of transport, then you really need to know what goes on before doing so. It might not be as big of a risk to a fully vaccinated older dog going to a pet home, but could potentially be disasterous for a breeder who is using that transport company in good faith, thinking there are no pound dogs on there.

Now, we could significantly reduce the risks associated with transport, if people vaccinated their dogs and puppies and big one would be if all dogs from pounds were quarantined.

Thats not going to happen. You cant go through life thinking that someone has done the wrong thing, or there wouldnt be any dogs at shows, parks or anywhere. They would all be sitting in a 'dog bubble' instead of a crate in our homes, and owners and visitors alike would have to go through a chlorine shower upon entry and exit. Of course you practice caution and do the right thing by YOUR dogs, but you just cant expect that all people will be the same unfortunately.

Thats not going to happen. You cant go through life thinking that someone has done the wrong thing, or there wouldnt be any dogs at shows, parks or anywhere. They would all be sitting in a 'dog bubble' instead of a crate in our homes, and owners and visitors alike would have to go through a chlorine shower upon entry and exit. Of course you practice caution and do the right thing by YOUR dogs, but you just cant expect that all people will be the same unfortunately.

You can minimize unacceptable risks. Pound dogs in contact with partially vaccinted pups is one such risk IMO. I'll do whatever is necessary to prevent that.

You can minimize unacceptable risks. Pound dogs in contact with partially vaccinted pups is one such risk IMO. I'll do whatever is necessary to prevent that.

I did mention that PF, Mine is an older pup so I didnt have to go in to every case scenario even though I do know vacs do not always prevent infection. If I was getting a tiny little baby I'm sure the what if list would have been a lot longer and more in depth.

GTE transport were excellent, I had Kimba brought down from Sydney, cost not much over $100, cant remember exactly. They kept in contact with me the whole trip, rang at 2 hours, 1 hour, half an hour away. Might be a bit harder to coordinate for a show though.

If they're still transporting unquarantined pound dogs in the same dog trailers with other dogs, I'd not touch them with a barge pole. :)

To be honest, I never asked. Dog has had vacs.

Do airlines only fly showdogs that live on their own?

I'm with you poodlefan! :)

My last experience re road transporters has been made known in a like post under transport, but I'm not targeting any one particular firm!

Skanky mutts too young for vaccination in the next berth and our dog covered in faeces and urine and too weak to stand when we got him out. :)

Air transit is quick and trouble free, only prob for us is that Virgin won't fly our guys anymore, (beat that for discrimination against the giant breeds cos we used to fly them Virgin) and with Qantas, the last time we flew a dog (with us travelling too I might add,) and it was $600 each way for the one dog!

(His Specialty BIS win did help ease some of the pain! :( )

We only drive them ourselves now!