Pet Insurance Question....

Beth.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

If there is anything in vet records, even if a vet only suspects that the hips could be a problem, it's considered by the insurance company to be a pre-existing condition and they won't cover it.

After waiting 3 months for reimbursement for my dog's laminectomy surgery, I've now had fairly minor claim for ($500) in for a month. I pay the first $250 so it's not a huge reimbursement. There's been no contact from the insurance company that they've received the claim. I guess we go into battle again when I phone them next week.

Send claims to insurance companies by registered mail. They told me last time they hadn't received my claim. They found it in seconds when I told them I had a signed receipt.

Hi, I am with Bow Wow Meow and so far no problems with them. I have 2 dogs covered for accident only insurance and I pay $30.50 per month. Choice Magazine did a great article (I think from memory in Sept 09) about Pet Insurance and Bow Wow came out on top.

I have only had to make one claim so far and it all went smoothly.

Hope this helps.

Can someone explain the different between $100 and $250 excess?

It simply means that for the first claim of a condition, the excess will be deducted, e.g. you have a $100 excess and you lodge a claim for say $250, and the claim is approved, then you will receive $150 payout. If you lodge any further claims on the same condition and your claims are approved, then you no excess will be deducted on subsequent claims and you will receive full payment on your claim(s).

If your excess was $250.00, then no payment is made for the first claim on that condition, but if you need to lodge another claim on the same condition, then if the claim is approved, you will receive full payment of the entire claim, i.e. no excess deducted as it was deducted against the first claim. The larger the excess, the cheaper the policy is. :laugh:

Edited by labsrule

Guest acb123

I'm confused too!

Say you get the insurance today & you pick up the pup this afternoon and in 4wks time when you get your 12wk immunisation and THEN the vet finds something that WON'T be considered pre-existing

but

If you wait until the 12wk immunisation & then the vet comments he/she has found something & you get pet insurance that day, then you might not be covered because it's pre-existing....

If it does work like that, then wouldn't it be a good idea to get pet insurance to start the day you pick up the pup before a vet has a chance to see it? :laugh:

I'm guessing it's not as easy as that? I haven't got my forms yet so I don't know what they ask but I wonder if you have to take the pup to a vet first?

I'm confused too!

Say you get the insurance today & you pick up the pup this afternoon and in 4wks time when you get your 12wk immunisation and THEN the vet finds something that WON'T be considered pre-existing

but

If you wait until the 12wk immunisation & then the vet comments he/she has found something & you get pet insurance that day, then you might not be covered because it's pre-existing....

If it does work like that, then wouldn't it be a good idea to get pet insurance to start the day you pick up the pup before a vet has a chance to see it? :laugh:

I'm guessing it's not as easy as that? I haven't got my forms yet so I don't know what they ask but I wonder if you have to take the pup to a vet first?

That is exactly right. Get the pet insurance straight away. No vet inspection needed. If something arises within the 4 week waiting period (ie documented by a vet) then it is classed as 'pre existing'. Anything after the 4 weeks is usually fine. The first time you put a claim in the insurance company will request a full vet history to check for any 'pre existing' conditions.

With the excess, even if the bill is for $250 and the excess is $250 it is still worth lodging in case it is an ongoing condition as you only pay the excess once per condition, not per vet visit. Eg my dog has unfortunately just been diagnosed with bilateral luxating patellas, the first visit was only $112. My excess is $100, so i will only get back $12 from my first visit, but all other future vet expenses (expected to be in excess of $5000) will be 100% covered.

Guest acb123

Wow thanks Kimigirl! :laugh:

That's great advice! I never knew it was excess once per condition.

I'm confused too!

but

If it does work like that, then wouldn't it be a good idea to get pet insurance to start the day you pick up the pup before a vet has a chance to see it? :cheers:

That is exactly right. Get the pet insurance straight away. No vet inspection needed. If something arises within the 4 week waiting period (ie documented by a vet) then it is classed as 'pre existing'. Anything after the 4 weeks is usually fine. The first time you put a claim in the insurance company will request a full vet history to check for any 'pre existing' conditions.

With the excess, even if the bill is for $250 and the excess is $250 it is still worth lodging in case it is an ongoing condition as you only pay the excess once per condition, not per vet visit. Eg my dog has unfortunately just been diagnosed with bilateral luxating patellas, the first visit was only $112. My excess is $100, so i will only get back $12 from my first visit, but all other future vet expenses (expected to be in excess of $5000) will be 100% covered.

That is a good point and I will edit my response above accordingly :laugh:

The key is to insure your pup asap, some breeders take out coverage for their pups before they are sold and the new owner is then given the option to continue the insurance cover :cheers:

Edited by labsrule

Just wanted to resurrect this thread to say a big 'thumbs up' to medibank. I posted 3 claims off on Monday, which were my first ever claims. I rang today just to confirm that they had received them and they let me know that not only had they been received, but they had been processed and the cheque was posted yesterday! The full amount minus the excess. Very pleased with their speedy service :eek:

Just wanted to resurrect this thread to say a big 'thumbs up' to medibank. I posted 3 claims off on Monday, which were my first ever claims. I rang today just to confirm that they had received them and they let me know that not only had they been received, but they had been processed and the cheque was posted yesterday! The full amount minus the excess. Very pleased with their speedy service :eek:

Wow! That's great! I have PetPlan and need to lodge another claim. Hope mine is as easy and as speedy as yours was, this time around :p.

I'm with Petplan and didn't have any trouble with my claim from February, they did have a slight delay in payment but sent a letter to explain that to me and sent a cheque soon after for more than I expected.

Wow! That's great! I have PetPlan and need to lodge another claim. Hope mine is as easy and as speedy as yours was, this time around ;).

Here's hoping the $5000 claim they will be receiving next week will be as easy! That was really my main concern when I rang, I wanted to make sure they were going to cover the initial costs of the condition before our JS has her patella ops next week. I could live without the $600 cheque they posted me yesterday if it came to it... but the $5000 is a different matter!

They say on their website that claims are usually processed within 5 working dyas... but I sorta didn't believe them! :p

Just wanted to resurrect this thread to say a big 'thumbs up' to medibank. I posted 3 claims off on Monday, which were my first ever claims. I rang today just to confirm that they had received them and they let me know that not only had they been received, but they had been processed and the cheque was posted yesterday! The full amount minus the excess. Very pleased with their speedy service

That's great to hear. :laugh: I am with Medibank Private and have the Silver Paw plan. I will be happy to never have to claim though.

Guest belgian.blue

Thanks for the excess explaination.

So hands up who has just accident or comp cover? I don't know which to get .. I can insure them both for just under $500 year on comp cover with 100% covered and 250 excess.

To think my mum just spent that much in one day on her cat :thumbsup:

I've got the silver cover which covers accident & illness I think up to $12000 per year per condition (there are a few lower limits for certain illnesses, cruciate ligament may be one)

The cost is $33 per month with 10% discount for more than one pet if insured at the same time. That's with a $100 excess. I found the gold cover wasn't cost effective for the extra inclusions.

Guest belgian.blue
I've got the silver cover which covers accident & illness I think up to $12000 per year per condition (there are a few lower limits for certain illnesses, cruciate ligament may be one)

The cost is $33 per month with 10% discount for more than one pet if insured at the same time. That's with a $100 excess. I found the gold cover wasn't cost effective for the extra inclusions.

I read on the medibank website that they only offer 5% for extra pets on the same cover? Maybe I read it wrong.