Immunisations

My boy gets like that - last time he got his shots he had a big, angry welt on his neck for a week, and was very off-colour. Disconcerting for a JRT (cross). He's due again now but i'm of two minds to do it to him again. The only problem being that i'm going overseas in June and will probably need to board him somewhere as i don't trust my housemates to look after the kidlets. :cheer:

Sounds like a reaction to the vaccine. It would be a good idea to phone your vet, and tell him about the symptoms, and get his advice.

My mini schnauzer, several years ago had the same problem, but he was quite ill for about a week. He had daily vet attention during that time. This was after his puppy booster shot at 16 weeks. Since that time, he had two more vaccinations, but before each one, he had an antihistimine shot 30 minutes prior. With my younger dog, I have decided to do titers instead of jumping straight into vaccinations and if he does not have immunity he will be given a 3 yr. shot. I do not want to have him vaccinated needlessly.

I have had a BC very ill for 24 hours after a C5. I never used the C5 again after that. mine just get a C3 and if they need KC for travel or kenneling I get the nasal spray one at a different time to the vaccine.

Also dogs should not be overheated (including exercise) for at least 24 hours after any vaccine so make sure you keep them in out of this heat today.