What Breeds Actually Fall Under Bsl?

PrincessCharming

Sorry for all those dog attack horrors, Jed and others.

But it needs to be reiterated and promulgated widely--there is no such thing as a little bit of BSL

Fght ANY breed being banned to ensure the choice for all,is the only sensible option as erosion sets in otherwise.

Also fight for sensible ownership laws and owner responsibility for the dog at all time enshrined at every level.

Edited by ZBC

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i am sorry about your horses. at the end of the day this happens to horses every day in this country and others, and one thing rings true.... the dogs were not contained properly.

i can fully understand your point of veiw when you are a victim, but that would mean we should kill and ban all working dogs in the country, as there are a very high % of lambs , full grown sheep, and other livestock that are attacked killed or maimed every single day, a hell of alot more by farm dogs than apbt.

i hope your horse has recovered swiftly.

If it isn't easy to wipe out generations of breeding for dog fighting, how is it that canine registries the world over have breeds where they state exactly that has been done since the origin was the same as the APBT ancestry or similar?

Methinks it is because you are wrong--it takes fewer generations than most would believe to subjugate a trait-- but people with a set agenda like Dr Wirth, keep saying the APBT is a one off dog and it isn't safe no matter any investigation of its ancestors and the breeding strategy behind it or present day APBT's

BTW isn't the Customs Act in terms of "American Pit Bull Terrier" or "Pit bull terrier" is banned from import?

The OR is the telling word, there is no such breed it is the common term applied randomly by the ignorant as well as the wise to the purebred APBT breed.

(Pet hate of mine)

Nanny dog anyone

Hope that cleared up the confusion in your brain.

Apologies for the delayed reply, I don't stop by often.

Out of curiosity, could you please point me in the direction of a statement from a canine registry claiming they have bred out generations of breeding for dog fighting? You say that there are registries out there who make this claim but I can't find any evidence of it.

Also: I find it interesting that the AST was bred from the APBT but PURELY for the purposes of being a show dog - yet I doubt you will find a reputable AST breeder that will claim all history of aggressive traits have been bred out of the AST. Therefore: if a dog bred PURELY for showing is still known to exhibit the dog-aggressive traits of its forebearers, why on earth would you come here to claim that generations of aggression can be quickly and quietly bred out?

Your comments re: Dr Wirth & the Customs Act have me a bit confused. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with those statements so I don't have a response to them. Until you choose to clarify them, that is.

Ozpit,I'd go read the Aussie organisation breed standard for the AST and the SBT and show where they acknowledge these dogs were bred to fight or even come from dogs that were?

Is it lying by omission or denying by omission? Noenthe;ess, the full origins are kept ssecret wherever possible

Ask the breeders of show strains if their dogs are fightbred, and they want to fight YOU for connecting their dogs to the old APBT, at least that has been my experience often.

Is it acknowledged that traits the backgrounds of many dog breeds would today be unacceptable, or is it expected the dogs do not display the unacceptable behaviour and the facts never spoken of?

As for the genetics,any comprehensive APBT website should have studies,but I note that the APBT breeders talk about the "fight" or "game" lines as distinct, why?

Could it be that to keep the traits strong, they have to be reinforced regularly in the lines,as do strong colours in some coated breeds..

Ozpit,I'd go read the Aussie organisation breed standard for the AST and the SBT and show where they acknowledge these dogs were bred to fight or even come from dogs that were?

Is it lying by omission or denying by omission? Noenthe;ess, the full origins are kept ssecret wherever possible

Ask the breeders of show strains if their dogs are fightbred, and they want to fight YOU for connecting their dogs to the old APBT, at least that has been my experience often.

Is it acknowledged that traits the backgrounds of many dog breeds would today be unacceptable, or is it expected the dogs do not display the unacceptable behaviour and the facts never spoken of?

As for the genetics,any comprehensive APBT website should have studies,but I note that the APBT breeders talk about the "fight" or "game" lines as distinct, why?

Could it be that to keep the traits strong, they have to be reinforced regularly in the lines,as do strong colours in some coated breeds..

Too easy! ANKC Extended Breed Standard of the American Staffordshire Terrier

From what I can see there's just over 2 pages documenting the history of the AST, with absolutely no omission whatsoever of the breed's fighting history.

Ask breeders of AST's in Australia if their dogs are fightbred, they'd probably want to fight you for being a complete idiot. The AST is NOT a fighting breed. Is was developed from the APBT for SHOWING only; hence it can NOT have any game or fighting lines in it, because for that to occur, the dogs would have to have been bred with a dog that is NOT an ANKC Reigistered AST. This would then render the resultant offspring unable to be ANKC registered. I'm not sure any reputable AST breeder would take too kindly to you asking them if they're breeding crossbred dogs.

Obviously the case in the US is a little more difficult, with AKC/UKC/ADBA registration but the general gist of it is this:

You can have an AKC registered American Staffordshire Terrier.

You can have an AKC registered American Staffordshire Terrier ALSO registered (ie Dual Reg) with the UKC as an American Pit Bull Terrier.

OR you can have an ADBA registered American Pit Bull Terrier.

The ADBA is the registry that leans heavily towards the preservation of the old game/fighting lines. The owners and breeders of ADBA APBTs generally see their dogs as the true or original APBTs, as any APBT registered with the UKC must first come from AKC AST lines; hence, the dual-registered dogs are not a continuation of the older game lines; hence, they are not seen as "real" or "true" APBTs by the purists.

There is also a HUGE difference aesthetically between the three. Click here to see a great comparison between ADBA, UKC and AKC dogs.

The reason the game and fighting lines are regarded as being distinct has little to do with the genetics of reinforcing the traits, I believe, and more to do with the entire issue around AKC/UKC/ADBA dogs. Since the AKC/UKC dogs can NOT have any of the old lines in them, because these lines are not in the pedigrees of AKC dogs for the same reason they are not in the lines of ANKC AST's (and a dog must first be AKC registered if it is then to be UKC registered) then yes, the old lines (as used by ADBA breeders) are considered to be very precious and very distinct to those used by breeders of AKC/UKC dogs.

Obviously the case in the US is a little more difficult, with AKC/UKC/ADBA registration but the general gist of it is this:

You can have an AKC registered American Staffordshire Terrier.

You can have an AKC registered American Staffordshire Terrier ALSO registered (ie Dual Reg) with the UKC as an American Pit Bull Terrier.

OR you can have an ADBA registered American Pit Bull Terrier.

The ADBA is the registry that leans heavily towards the preservation of the old game/fighting lines. The owners and breeders of ADBA APBTs generally see their dogs as the true or original APBTs, as any APBT registered with the UKC must first come from AKC AST lines; hence, the dual-registered dogs are not a continuation of the older game lines; hence, they are not seen as "real" or "true" APBTs by the purists.

Not any more If I'm reading this correctly

Link

UKC Single Registration Process for American Pit Bull Terriers to close April 30, 2010

Posted on 04/15/2010

Permanent Link

For more information, contact [email protected]

April 15, 2010, Kalamazoo, Michigan. The United Kennel Club announced today that effective April 30, 2010, the Single Registration process will be closed to American Pit Bull Terriers. Accordingly, the only APBTs that will be eligible for UKC Registration after April 30, 2010 are those who come from a UKC Registered Litter. All applications for APBT Single Registrations that are postmarked or hand delivered after April 30, 2010 will be denied. Also, effective April 19, 2010, TLs (Temporary Listings) will no longer be issued to APBTs.

Decisions to open or close Single Registrations for each breed are made after careful consideration and input from the breed associations. It is important to note that this requirement is in no way unique to APBTs; in fact, the majority of UKC's most popular breeds have been closed to the Single Registration process for decades.

In all cases, these decisions are made with the breed's gene pool in mind. For example, UKC may decide to keep a breed with a small number of registrations eligible for Single Registration to broaden the scope, health and vigor of a breed's gene pool. However, when a breed's gene pool is vibrant and plentiful enough for responsible breeders to have a large enough base of quality dogs to use in their breeding programs, it becomes a candidate to be limited to littered registered pups.

The American Pit Bull Terrier has a historical and well-established gene pool. It was one of the fifteen breeds originally registered by the United Kennel Club when it was established in 1898. UKC founder Chauncey Bennett's own APBT, Bennett's Ring, represented one of the first dogs to be registered with UKC over a century ago. At this time, we owe it to this magnificent UKC breed to close the APBT Single Registration process, not for the benefit of UKC, but for the benefit of the breed.

Established in 1898, the United Kennel Club is the largest all-breed performance-dog registry in the world, registering dogs from all 50 states and 25 foreign countries. More than 60 percent of its 14,000 annually licensed events are tests of hunting ability, training, and instinct. UNITED KENNEL CLUB prides itself on its family-oriented, friendly, educational events. To find out more about registration and events, call or visit our website. Phone: (269) 343-9020; Fax: (269) 343-7037; www.ukcdogs.com.Established in 1898, the United Kennel Club is the largest all-breed performance-dog registry in the world, registering dogs from all 50 states and 25 foreign countries. More than 60 percent of its 14,000 annually licensed events are tests of hunting ability, training, and instinct. UNITED KENNEL CLUB prides itself on its family-oriented, friendly, educational events. To find out more about registration and events, call or visit our website. Phone: (269) 343-9020; Fax: (269) 343-7037; www.ukcdogs.com.

Rottn

Am I correct in thinking the AKC fairly recently closed its books to AST dogs registered with UKC? ie it no longer allows dual registration ,as AST there and as APBT at UKC,to occur?

Regrettably, the passage of time.given it hardly affects Australia immediately, would probably not constitute a strong argument against the Supreme Court of Qld ruling the breeds are the same,even with,as I assume would be relevant evidence, an ANKC judge citing the ANKC requirements of generational breeding to "create" a new breed for registration.

That I am told by a member is 5 recorded generations pure breeding of the stock agreed to found the breed?

The United Kennel Club announced today that effective April 30, 2010, the Single Registration process will be closed to American Pit Bull Terriers.

I wonder if this means they'll be recognising the Am Staff so AKC registered Amstaffs can continue to compete in UKC events?

Rottn

Am I correct in thinking the AKC fairly recently closed its books to AST dogs registered with UKC? ie it no longer allows dual registration ,as AST there and as APBT at UKC,to occur?

Regrettably, the passage of time.given it hardly affects Australia immediately, would probably not constitute a strong argument against the Supreme Court of Qld ruling the breeds are the same,even with,as I assume would be relevant evidence, an ANKC judge citing the ANKC requirements of generational breeding to "create" a new breed for registration.

That I am told by a member is 5 recorded generations pure breeding of the stock agreed to found the breed?

I have not heard about the AKC closing registration to dual dogs, but It would make sense If both clubs are following suit.

There Is no mention of the UKC adding Am Staffs, I've been told this closing of regs.

has probably been done for BSL reasons and maybe I'm thinking the need to try and keep these breeds separate :rofl:

The United Kennel Club announced today that effective April 30, 2010, the Single Registration process will be closed to American Pit Bull Terriers.

I wonder if this means they'll be recognising the Am Staff so AKC registered Amstaffs can continue to compete in UKC events?

It is clearly spelled out that they mean only dogs of the breed with generations of pure breeding of registered UKC parents and g /parents etc will be registered-as such it isn't specific to the APBT alone and it is about preserving the purity of their breeds, nothing more.

• 2 weeks later...
Not any more If I'm reading this correctly

Link

UKC Single Registration Process for American Pit Bull Terriers to close April 30, 2010

Posted on 04/15/2010

Permanent Link

For more information, contact [email protected]

April 15, 2010, Kalamazoo, Michigan. The United Kennel Club announced today that effective April 30, 2010, the Single Registration process will be closed to American Pit Bull Terriers. Accordingly, the only APBTs that will be eligible for UKC Registration after April 30, 2010 are those who come from a UKC Registered Litter. All applications for APBT Single Registrations that are postmarked or hand delivered after April 30, 2010 will be denied. Also, effective April 19, 2010, TLs (Temporary Listings) will no longer be issued to APBTs.

Decisions to open or close Single Registrations for each breed are made after careful consideration and input from the breed associations. It is important to note that this requirement is in no way unique to APBTs; in fact, the majority of UKC's most popular breeds have been closed to the Single Registration process for decades.

In all cases, these decisions are made with the breed's gene pool in mind. For example, UKC may decide to keep a breed with a small number of registrations eligible for Single Registration to broaden the scope, health and vigor of a breed's gene pool. However, when a breed's gene pool is vibrant and plentiful enough for responsible breeders to have a large enough base of quality dogs to use in their breeding programs, it becomes a candidate to be limited to littered registered pups.

The American Pit Bull Terrier has a historical and well-established gene pool. It was one of the fifteen breeds originally registered by the United Kennel Club when it was established in 1898. UKC founder Chauncey Bennett's own APBT, Bennett's Ring, represented one of the first dogs to be registered with UKC over a century ago. At this time, we owe it to this magnificent UKC breed to close the APBT Single Registration process, not for the benefit of UKC, but for the benefit of the breed.

Established in 1898, the United Kennel Club is the largest all-breed performance-dog registry in the world, registering dogs from all 50 states and 25 foreign countries. More than 60 percent of its 14,000 annually licensed events are tests of hunting ability, training, and instinct. UNITED KENNEL CLUB prides itself on its family-oriented, friendly, educational events. To find out more about registration and events, call or visit our website. Phone: (269) 343-9020; Fax: (269) 343-7037; www.ukcdogs.com.Established in 1898, the United Kennel Club is the largest all-breed performance-dog registry in the world, registering dogs from all 50 states and 25 foreign countries. More than 60 percent of its 14,000 annually licensed events are tests of hunting ability, training, and instinct. UNITED KENNEL CLUB prides itself on its family-oriented, friendly, educational events. To find out more about registration and events, call or visit our website. Phone: (269) 343-9020; Fax: (269) 343-7037; www.ukcdogs.com.

Wow. Thanks for that information. Very interesting.

I wonder why? Having a "vibrant and plentiful" gene pool is as good a reason as any, I suppose. It does drive a wedge firmly between the APBT and AST in the USA though, which will probably allow AST owners to claim their dogs are nothing like the APBT and thus possibly keep them a little safer from BSL.

• 1 month later...

I have skimmed over this thread. I must admit I have not sat and read all of it closely.

i do know the ACD has been put on the list and taken off again a few times over. Obviously a bit undecided about that one.

can I just add from my own personal experience working with dogs of all different breeds and cross breeds every day, the ones that worry me the most and when I have been bitten have been the white fluffies of various breeds and x's), Chihuahuas and JRT's.

I am NOT criticising these breeds at all, infact i have 2 JRT's myself and love them to bits, but they are about as far removed from the breeds in question as you can possibly get i would say.

I have skimmed over this thread. I must admit I have not sat and read all of it closely.

i do know the ACD has been put on the list and taken off again a few times over. Obviously a bit undecided about that one.

can I just add from my own personal experience working with dogs of all different breeds and cross breeds every day, the ones that worry me the most and when I have been bitten have been the white fluffies of various breeds and x's), Chihuahuas and JRT's.

I am NOT criticising these breeds at all, infact i have 2 JRT's myself and love them to bits, but they are about as far removed from the breeds in question as you can possibly get i would say.

Totally understandable. Small dogs are (as a sweeping generalisation) often allowed to get away with a lot more by your average dog owner.

Their agression is often laughed at because they are so small. Even when they bite, it's often overlooked because they don't generally cause much damage.

For example:

Say there's a town that has 100 SWFs in it, and 100 Rotties.

If 10% of those SWFs bit someone, how many of those attacks would go reported, or acted upon?

If 1% of the Rotties attacked, how many would be reported, acted upon, be in the media? What's the bet there'd be some BSL targeted at the Rotties?

The bigger the dog, the worse the damage. Doesn't matter if a SWF bites someone every day of the week - society sees that as acceptable. But when a bigger dog acts the same, they're up in arms about it.

So we're left with what we have now. The larger, more powerful breeds are punished whereas smaller breeds are overlooked. Which is ridiculously unfair. It SHOULD be deed, not breed. But I can't see society as a whole accepting and acting upon that saying any time soon.

The importation of the dogo Argentino, fila Brasileiro, Japanese tosa, American pit bull terrier or pit bull terrier, and Perro de Presa Canario or Presa Canario into Australia is absolutely prohibited.[12]

i googled the unknown breeds (the ones i had never heard of) and am very glad they are not allowed over here as they would terrify pple who walk their dogs every day, and imagine if the "guardian" types got out and attacked yikes :D

as for the pitbulls I have had no personal experience with them but i know from walking that they are not a dog i want to meet, i have been barked at by them thank goodness they couldnt get out, I know i wouldnt like to meet a roaming one

This is where it gets tricky, the majority of pple do not have pitbulls and are scared of them, the minority with the loving pitbull family dog are the ones who suffer because of this, however of that minority with pittys some do not train or provide what their dog needs to be a social friendly dog (this happens to any breed with a crappy owner)

I dont know if there are laws but I think all pitbull owners should be registered and the council should be going round yearly or regurlarly to check fences and to ensure that they cannot get out and hurt or scare walkers. this being said any dog that continues to escape and harrasse pple should also be put on that list and the council should be checking on them also

its a sticky subject but one that has to be monitored

How con you support BSL of other breeds? have you had first hand experience of these dogs? I have seen filas for sale recently (not sure on how pure they'd be)

Seriously no matter what your opinion is of these breeds you shouldn't be throwing them out there like all the people who think APBT's are man eaters!! and we all know where that has got us, thousands of innocent animals getting PTS.

Plenty of people have dogos as family pets, why are you happy for them to be banned?

What next American bulldogs, bull arabs, rottis, akitas, Standard poodles

I'd like to think my somewhat informed opinion of the banned import breeds is a bit more in depth than the average idiot who thinks APBT are "man eaters".

In my post you'll see that I said a licensing system (if it worked) would be good rather than having the dogs banned. But unless "the man" comes up with an adequate owner licensing system, I'd prefer the dogs remained banned. Why?

Dogo Argentino - bred as a pack hunter (jaguar, puma, wild boar) and a family guardian.

Fila Brasileiro - herding, guarding, tracking & controlling large game

Japanese Tosa: fighting (yes, I do know that they "wrestle" their opponents, but it's a myth that they do not bite)

Presa Canario: guardian, cattle dog

We see that they're all obviously large, powerful dogs bred for a specific job which requires them to have a certain temperament.

Dogo Argentino: "It should never be aggressive" according to the breed standard. But it does have a "domineering attitude".

Fila Brasileiro: "With its owners and family it is docile." A good thing. But "One of its characteristics is its aloofness towards strangers".

Japanese Tosa: The tosa temperament is marked by not only "patience", "composure" and courage, but also by "boldness".

Presa Canario: Whilst he is "gentle and noble with his family, with great affection to his owner", the Presa is also "suspicious with strangers" and is "especially equipped for the function of guarding".

Now. Picture that these BIG, POWERFUL dogs with needs the AVERAGE owner can NOT meet have recently been un-banned. And imagine how many IDIOTS will be paying a BUCKETLOAD of money to have one of these "BADASS" dogs (in the idiot's opinion, not mine).

How many do you think will get the necessary leadership, training, work and respect they NEED?

And how many will be encouraged to rush at strangers walking past fences? How many will be encouraged to jump, bark, and growl because it "looks cool" to the idiots?

Sounds sort of like the plight of many APBTs.

Except now we're dealing with MASSIVE dogs twice the size of APBTs and with STRONG guarding/protecting/hunting instincts.

If they are un-banned, and there is no effective owner-licensing system available, every moron will have one. They'll end up being mistreated, abused, encouraged to attack. Then it will take us ALL back to square 1 with the BSL, and they'll try to put even MORE breeds on the banned list out of fear.

If it's going to prevent the mistreatment of certain breeds, and possibly prevent any terrible accidents from occurring because of idiots who mistreat their dogs, then yes, I support the ban. Pet ownership in Australia is not sophisticated enough (yet) to justify giving these dogs to people who do not have any clue how to handle them.

Quite frankly, BSL in Australian states is a more pressing concern to me right now than trying to overturn federal import bans that the average Australian pet owner isn't ready to have overturned. People's families are suffering with the legislation re: APBTs. I don't see anybody's family suffering immensely because they can't import a dog that never even existed in Australia before the bans.

So I'm going to worry about the pits first. And until the laws regarding pet ownership change to reflect an individual's right to own their breed of choice as well as some breeds' extensive ownership requirements, I'm content for the import ban to stand.

PS - I've seen Dogo's advertised online, in WA.

i agree with you i think the ban is perfect for Aus for safety to the general population

I also agree that little dogs are allowed to get away with too much they are still dogs and a bite is a bite

Too right, a bite is a bite indeed.

If given the choice of placing an IV catheter in the small chihuahua (only used as an example here, I have absolutely nothing against the breed at all) or the grumpy looking Rotti at work....I'll actually choose the Rotti or mastiffx or Bull dog or whatever the case may be.

Those little tackers are mighty fast and I have worn the scars from both types of dogs and the little ones do just as much damage given half a chance.

• 2 months later...
Cattle dog I am very surprised at...Sweet dogs in my experience.

WHAT! omg im sorry i dont believe in BSL but the old cattle dog is a true contender! They are great guard dogs and will bite. I have been around hundreds of dogs through station work, pig hunting hobby, my friends and even walking around town... You've always got to keep an eye on a cattle dog! We even owned one as a family dog for about 8 years and you even had to watch him - he would nip you if you didnt pay any attention to him! They are BRED to bite cattle on the heel to keep them moving or on the nose to turn them or pull them up. They dont belong in suburban backyards, They are working dogs.

Of all the hundreds of dogs i've been around, the only two to ever bite were Cattle dogs. Been rushed by several others too. One of them wasa dog my uncle owned i used to play fetch with for hours that one wasnt his fault i was holding our terrier inmy arms and he snarled at Rocky (The cattle dog) and Rocky tried to attack him. The second was completely unprovoked, and was teo dogs who ganged up on me as i got out of my car and crossed the street to get a neenish tart from the bakery and one jumped up at my face and the other nailed me on the ankle. And they were dogs known to teh council as dangerous!

Dont want em banned, but heck, owners should have a clue about their dog's true heritage and purpose. They are sweet dogs, with their family, but even if you are their owner you still have to be careful around them.

• 3 weeks later...
Cattle dog I am very surprised at...Sweet dogs in my experience.

WHAT! omg im sorry i dont believe in BSL but the old cattle dog is a true contender! They are great guard dogs and will bite. I have been around hundreds of dogs through station work, pig hunting hobby, my friends and even walking around town... You've always got to keep an eye on a cattle dog! We even owned one as a family dog for about 8 years and you even had to watch him - he would nip you if you didnt pay any attention to him! They are BRED to bite cattle on the heel to keep them moving or on the nose to turn them or pull them up. They dont belong in suburban backyards, They are working dogs.

Of all the hundreds of dogs i've been around, the only two to ever bite were Cattle dogs. Been rushed by several others too. One of them wasa dog my uncle owned i used to play fetch with for hours that one wasnt his fault i was holding our terrier inmy arms and he snarled at Rocky (The cattle dog) and Rocky tried to attack him. The second was completely unprovoked, and was teo dogs who ganged up on me as i got out of my car and crossed the street to get a neenish tart from the bakery and one jumped up at my face and the other nailed me on the ankle. And they were dogs known to teh council as dangerous!

Dont want em banned, but heck, owners should have a clue about their dog's true heritage and purpose. They are sweet dogs, with their family, but even if you are their owner you still have to be careful around them.

Yep agree, my mates husband in NZ has a cattle dog and he is an aggressive mo fo. He would be the single most aggressive dog I have ever met. Fully loving of his family, and tolerant once you are known to him but when you are new, he is a scary boy and he lets you know he doesnt like you on his property. You cannot go near the dog without the owners next to him coz he WILL bite (and has bitten quite a number of people).

I totally disagree with BSL, its just ridiculous and many people would lose lovely family pets as a result of it (and already have). Including pets who did not have any pitbull in them but looked like they might. For example, I used to have a beautiful red and white stafford/boxer mix. Gorgeous boy he was, but often mistaken for a pitbull. If BSL had of been a problem in NZ then we would have lost our gorgeous boy, who we nevcer could have proven what his breeding was, we got him out the paper for 20 bucks, met his parents but there was obviously no paperwork. Further to that, I have a large black lab x type dog who on th eodd occasion has been mistaken for a pitbull because he has a big jaw and he is very muscly (sp). I would hate for anyone to lose a pet over some stupid breedist attitude with no factual basis to back it up.

We arent allowed to discriminate against race, size, sex or ability so why should we target a DOG because of the way it looks. Ive never heard anythign more ridiculous.

I have just sat and read this thread from start to finish.... lets just say some posts gave me a good belly laugh.

Yep everyone's got an opinion, some are backed up by fact, others are contradicted by their own presentation of fact and others just don't make sense, but hey everyone is entitled to one right? Well yes, as long as those that don't have sufficient experience and exposure to the animals they are talking about don't have an impact on those that have the power to enforce/change BSL and it's operation in Australia.

Why do I say this? Because BSL affects too many people for it to be influenced by inadequately educated and experienced people in the field.

Do I agree with BSL? Simply.... NO! Do I have sufficient education and exposure to influence those that manage BSL? NO

Why do I disagree with BSL? Because it is incredulously caveman like to believe that animals as intelligent as dogs, that can be trained so precisely will all behave in the same way because they are the same breed. I once read 'nature gives us the parameters of a dog's behaviour and we nurture it to the point at which we want it'. Therefore ALL dogs have the ability to be raised as loving socialized animals or aggressive protection assets. So I definitely believe in JUDGE THE DEED NOT THE BREED and the owners of dogs which have been raised badly should be held accountable for their dogs actions.

Nothing is black and white though and I believe each 'DEED' will have it's own set of mitigating circumstances which need to be taken into consideration when dealing with both the owners and the animals. But this is the point in note: every deed should be dealt with individually and breeds not blanketed by BSL!

My humble opinion on the table folks.... I'm sure someone will pull it to shreds!