Shiney Coats

Thanks poodlefan, what is coat oil? Can I give him a fish oil capsule once a day.

I'm not sure what the appropriate dose of fish oil would be. You certainly shouldn't be feeding cod liver oil daily - salmon oil would be OK.

Coat oil is basically a cosmetic grade of oil used to moisten the coat. Even baby oil does a pretty decent job but use it sparingly.

A small squirt in a litre of warm water and pour over a bathed and rinsed dog. Don't rinse it out. Makes a smooth coated dog shine like crazy.

Or you can use a shampoo that has oil in it like Groomers EPO. That's what I use and it does a great job. :)

Thanks Poodlefan :):( , will give the oil a go and talk to my vet regarding the fish oil capsuls.

There a range of Omega oil supplements you can buy for dogs.

Be sparing with the coat oil - a little goes a long way! Plush Puppy Seabreeze Oil is another good one.

Just stir it into the warm water, pour over the dog, work all over body and legs with your hands and dry.

Edited by poodlefan

I use one called Hi Shine on my Manchester (it's for horses, was $32 for a litre)

Agree you only need a small amount, I use about a teaspoon in 2 litres of water usually.

Woks well though.

My dogs get 2 fish oil tablets in their dinner every day and they have lovely coats. My tri boy has such a shiny coat, we get a lot of nice comments that boost my ego :laugh:

You could also try flax seed oil in capsule or liquid form.

I also give 2 capsules of salmon oil to my Dobermanns and add an omega oil blend to their BARF diet.

http://greenpet.com.au/pet-shop/cart.php?t...;category_id=76 (also in smaller sizes)

I firmly believe that it is what you put on the inside that gives them the best shiny coat & no dry skin.

Also we give them a very small spray of mink oil - which is a spray we buy from petcetera store at the shows

I guess it would be available online if you don't show in sydney. I have found that to be excellent for glossing them

up in the ring. :rasberry: if only there was something I could spray on myself to make me a better handler LOL

I am new to the whole show dog/ show world and would like to know what I can do to make my dogs coat shiney, he is a mini pin, I dont want to smother him in sprays and creams, so is there something I can add to his food.

We feed sardines once a week and mackeral once a week. You'd have to ask toy people what quantities to use, my dogs are quite a bit bigger.

We don't supplement. The dogs are not sitting in the sun all day and spend the time that we are home indoors. That means their coat doesn't get a beating from the elements, especially the sun.

We don't use coat oils on our Salukis, a decent shine comes from within and reflects the health of the animal. My two show Salukis are definitely shiny, we have had people ask what we use but it's just good breeding (some inherited conditions can give you a crappy coat) and good internal health.

We use fish oil/omega 3 capsules, Vit E and we feed sardines every second day....Dogs love eggs and we feed mainly RAW........Our black dogs are very shiny, but my pup is just loosing her puppy fur and it is dull and fluffy. But these shiny bits are coming through