Dog Opening Doors...

Steno

Hi Guys,

We have a 20week old standard schnauzer who has been growing... and growing.

He has now discovered he has the ability to open a door, push it and explore the house.

The door is an internal hall door. He sleeps one side, and the bedrooms are on the other side. With great joy and excitement at 3am he opened it this morning. The handle is a standard parallel to the ground, push it down and the door opens without a lock. We had 4 door stops and that didn’t stop him. In an act of desperation this morning I put an old dishwasher against the door and guess what.... the little genius is also strong and that didn’t stop him!!!

Any ideas?

Edited by Steno

Reverse the handle so you have to push it up to open.

Yeah thought of that.... but ever door in the house is the same and reversing 10 or so handles doesnt seem fun way to spend the weekend....

You have now learnt why Std Schnauzers are one of the most intelligent breeds around.

Owners generally fail this variety due to there extreme thinking skills & desire to succeed

Std schnauzers are loyal to there owners & feel the need to be with them.

I would consider crate training during the nights & getting pup into a pattern of where he belongs

Are you doing training with him??

You have now learnt why Std Schnauzers are one of the most intelligent breeds around.

Are you doing training with him??

This is our second standard and their intelligence is an absolute delight. Brings a smile to my face, even at 4am when he decided that my pillow was a good place to spend the rest of the night..... That lasted til about 4.01am.

Unfortunately we missed puppy school due to christmas / new years and then he was too old. However general training starts in a fortnight. He responds well to most commands, happy off leash and with other dogs and great with people. We have been very lucky. Just needs some slight assistance here and there.

Edited by Steno

Now I want a Standard Schnauzer! My wee little Vallhund can do things like that. It's ever so much fun. For him we just rested a folding chair against the door and so when he tried to jump up on it it slid to the ground. The lack of anything stable to put his paws on combined with an unwillingness to stand on the chair once it was down seemed to do the job for him, but it sounds like this dog would be too tall and determined to be deterred by a mere unstable folding chair. Maybe you could try something similar but more suited to his size? Although I think crate training is probably a better idea.

Just a thought, I know you can buy those childproof plastic knobs that you have to hold a certain way and than turn to be able to open the door, maybe there is something similiar that can fit on your door handles. If I wasnt heading off to bed, I would google it for you!

Have you thought about putting a baby gate into the doorway or door frame?

When Henry arrived home I placed a baby gate (metal) within the door frame on the laundry door. He is able to see into the rest of the house and it has a dual lock system so would be difficult for any dog to get out of. The gate is almost 1 metre in height so I doubt there would be any chance for escape.

Baby gates are readily available on FleaBay and heaps cheaper to purchase from there instead of a store. The gate I purchased for Henry is below:

Metal Pet Dog Barrier

Regards, Shaun (Sticks1977)

Edited by Sticks1977