My Dog Is Not Too Skinny!

dee lee

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My T bone is a bit ribby and tucked up. Part of it is that he is fairly "wired" and part of it is his build. People mostly comment that he's in lovely condition, some comment that he's too thin. He's pretty much ideal on that chart though and the vet raves about his condition. He's a healthy active boy.

My Pointer is too thin but what can you do? He eats enormous amounts of food and still has hip bones and spine protruding. Damn the little bugger never stops moving. We've considered both sedating him full time or using a full body cast to get his weight up. :)

Dee,

Honey looks beautiful. I get angry at people wanting fat dogs (my Ex was one of them)

My "Honey" has a weight problem as she is lazy lol. I have had to cut down her food (much to her disgust)

but it's for her own good.

Take Care

Sharon

Thanks for the positive input everyone!

Its much welcome today- I had a party on the weekend and Honey was inundated with love but I did get a couple of joking comments about how I starve her :laugh:

I began doubting myself again, so gave her an extra half a cup of food per meal for a couple of days.

I now know they are all wrong- Even this morning I could see if I was to continue that she will lose her waist pretty quickly. So back to ignoring them all again! :D

Deelee Honey looks gorgeous. I didn't realise you had got a new dog. Congrats!!

Thanks Eileen! :D

Yes we got Honey early December from Golden Retriever rescue- she has been a wonderful healing addition to our family. She is divine!!

Dee,

Honey looks beautiful. I get angry at people wanting fat dogs (my Ex was one of them)

My "Honey" has a weight problem as she is lazy lol. I have had to cut down her food (much to her disgust)

Take Care

Sharon

Hi Sharon! :o I was wondering how your Honey was going!

I am lucky, once I got our Honey moving, she loved the exercise. It'd be hard if she didnt.

Thanks for the positive input everyone!

Its much welcome today- I had a party on the weekend and Honey was inundated with love but I did get a couple of joking comments about how I starve her :o

I began doubting myself again, so gave her an extra half a cup of food per meal for a couple of days.

I now know they are all wrong- Even this morning I could see if I was to continue that she will lose her waist pretty quickly. So back to ignoring them all again! :D

Deelee Honey looks gorgeous. I didn't realise you had got a new dog. Congrats!!

Thanks Eileen! :D

Yes we got Honey early December from Golden Retriever rescue- she has been a wonderful healing addition to our family. She is divine!!

Dee,

Take Care

Sharon

Hi Sharon! :laugh: I was wondering how your Honey was going!

I am lucky, once I got our Honey moving, she loved the exercise. It'd be hard if she didnt.

I do make her walk up to the front gate every morning to drop off my son at the bus, she does have a little run then but

after that she is back to her lazy self :laugh:.

She is beautiful, gentle and loves my son to bits. I'll try and get some new piccies of her and post them.

Your dog looks perfect to me :laugh: Im a veterinary nurse and the amount of clients that walk in with overweight dogs really makes me depressed :o I have decided to try and at least try and talk to clients about their dog's weight and it is working! Many do not realise their dog is overweight and I think sometimes it isnt really a big focus in consults with the vets. I am getting good results with one client in particular with a big fatty gorgeous cat (was over 8kgs, now down to almost 7kgs :laugh:)

When we adopted Honey we were told that when she came in she had been overweight. She had been on a diet and looked ok but did have some fat on her.

Apparently she had lived most of her life in the yard and was not taken for walks.

We are not the family for couch potatoes though!! From day one she has been in bootcamp- I wanted to get back into jogging so took her with me.

On jogging days we jog and (less and less) walk for an hour. On my non-jogging days it is an hours walk and offlead ball session.

She was reluctant at first but we both got fit together and now she is full of beans and a very fit dog - if only it was that easy for me! :laugh:

At one point I wasnt happy with her food, I felt she was losing weight too quickly, so I changed it (another Artemis convert here! :o ) and she is thriving.

She is small for a golden retriever, has completely dropped coat and she is very lean, BUT ... I am having people comment with a frown on how "skinny" she is. :D

This morning I met another goldie and the owner didnt say anything but I saw her feel for Honey's ribs! :laugh:

I do feel she is in perfect shape, which is backed up by 2 compliments on her condition I got at our dog training club. I figure these people would have a good idea.

Its making me feel so cranky- I felt like saying to the woman this morning- "well your dog is fat!"

This is a pic of Honey about a month ago (am trying to upload some from this morning but having technical difficulties), what do you think? Too skinny?

DSC01653.jpg

40413544.jpg

When I first looked at your photo of Honey, I thought she looked too thin and now thanks to the chart posted by TeamSnag I am convinced she is too thin. It may be helpful to have a closeup recent photo of her dry as you said that this photo was taken a month ago, and she is wet. :D

Edited by labsrule

I met a 42kg Lab the other day. I have a Lab x who is the same height/build as this dog, and he weighs approx 25kg. I keep him lean because he has joint problems, but he is still a good weight. So that poor Lab was carrying around 15kg-18kg of fat on him. Poor dog. :o

I met a 42kg Lab the other day. I have a Lab x who is the same height/build as this dog , and he weighs approx 25kg. I keep him lean because he has joint problems, but he is still a good weight. So that poor Lab was carrying around 15kg-18kg of fat on him. Poor dog. :o

I have issues with the bits in your post that I have highlighted. You cannot compare a Lab x and a Lab. You have stated that you keep your dog lean because of joint issues, but to say that this Lab is carrying around 15kg-18kg of fat because you compare him to your dog is not on :laugh: To expect a purebred male Lab to be 25kg, shows that you do not know much about Labs :laugh:

I met a 42kg Lab the other day. I have a Lab x who is the same height/build as this dog , and he weighs approx 25kg. I keep him lean because he has joint problems, but he is still a good weight. So that poor Lab was carrying around 15kg-18kg of fat on him. Poor dog. :mad

I have issues with the bits in your post that I have highlighted. You cannot compare a Lab x and a Lab. You have stated that you keep your dog lean because of joint issues, but to say that this Lab is carrying around 15kg-18kg of fat because you compare him to your dog is not on :( To expect a purebred male Lab to be 25kg, shows that you do not know much about Labs :(

Is 42kgs a healthy weight for a purebred male lab? :rolleyes:

My stoopid phone which has pics of Honey specially taken for this thread has died. :( I'll have to take more photos tomorrow on my camera.

I can see how you would think she is thin with that chart directly below the pic.

However, I still feel that she is a good size- she has loads of energy, her fur is good etc. She is really healthy and fit and has a very high tuck (I think thats what you call it?).

Personally I would prefer that she was on the thin side than overweight.

I met a 42kg Lab the other day. I have a Lab x who is the same height/build as this dog , and he weighs approx 25kg. I keep him lean because he has joint problems, but he is still a good weight. So that poor Lab was carrying around 15kg-18kg of fat on him. Poor dog. :(

I have issues with the bits in your post that I have highlighted. You cannot compare a Lab x and a Lab. You have stated that you keep your dog lean because of joint issues, but to say that this Lab is carrying around 15kg-18kg of fat because you compare him to your dog is not on :( To expect a purebred male Lab to be 25kg, shows that you do not know much about Labs :)

Is 42kgs a healthy weight for a purebred male lab? :rolleyes:

My stoopid phone which has pics of Honey specially taken for this thread has died. :( I'll have to take more photos tomorrow on my camera.

I can see how you would think she is thin with that chart directly below the pic.

However, I still feel that she is a good size- she has loads of energy, her fur is good etc. She is really healthy and fit and has a very high tuck (I think thats what you call it?).

Personally I would prefer that she was on the thin side than overweight.

I didn't say that 42kg was a healthy weight? The OP stated that this Lab was carrying 15kg-18kg of fat compared to her lean 25kg Lab x :D I took exception to the OP comparing the Lab with her dog who is a Lab x and who by her own admission, is lean due to joint problems and the fact that the OP expects a pure bred male dog to be the same weight as her dog :mad

Whilst there are standard weight range for most breeds, just because a dog is outside that weight range doesn't automatically make it fat or unhealthy. Do you think that any female GR that is heavier than Honey is fat or unhealthy?, just because you personally want a lean dog. There is weight variability in the canine world just like there is in the human world and because a dog or human is not within the "standard weight range" for their breed/height, doesn't automatically make the dog or person fat or unhealthy.

If you are happy with Honey's size/weight, then that is fine, she is your dog, but the nature of your thread is essentially asking for opinions on whether Honey is too skinny or not. I happen to think she is too skinny. :)

deelee if you're unsure, I'd take her to the vet to be weighed and get their opinion.

That can depend on the Vet as well. I have seen some dogs that I would describe as fat verging obese, yet informed by the owners the Vet has told them the dog looks fine, weight wise. If the Vets go by scale and then by the average only, or if the Vet is going by what they are used to seeing, this can give misleading information to the dog owner.

I tend to agree with Erny on this one. I've had multiple vets get quite stuck into me about Sir Walter being too thin. He's an Afghan Hound damn it and he is in perfect condition thankyou very much! :(

I've worked with many vets who I've heard tell clients their dog is the perfect weight. Hmmm...still look quite overweight to me. Ribs non existant, no waist or tuck.

We had a stunning Labrador in the other day who had lost a whopping 12kg. He looked fanbloodytastic, and I heard the voice coming from the consult room telling the owner the dog is now too skinny and needs to gain at least 3kg. :mad :rolleyes: Looked perfect imo and that of others around me. I definitely would not always live by what many vets say.

deelee if you're unsure, I'd take her to the vet to be weighed and get their opinion.

That can depend on the Vet as well. I have seen some dogs that I would describe as fat verging obese, yet informed by the owners the Vet has told them the dog looks fine, weight wise. If the Vets go by scale and then by the average only, or if the Vet is going by what they are used to seeing, this can give misleading information to the dog owner.

I tend to agree with Erny on this one. I've had multiple vets get quite stuck into me about Sir Walter being too thin. He's an Afghan Hound damn it and he is in perfect condition thankyou very much! :(

I've worked with many vets who I've heard tell clients their dog is the perfect weight. Hmmm...still look quite overweight to me. Ribs non existant, no waist or tuck.

We had a stunning Labrador in the other day who had lost a whopping 12kg. He looked fanbloodytastic, and I heard the voice coming from the consult room telling the owner the dog is now too skinny and needs to gain at least 3kg. :mad :rolleyes: Looked perfect imo and that of others around me. I definitely would not always live by what many vets say.

It's a tough one, especially with cross breeds. I have a rescue dog who looks to have some hound in him, he is quite slim, taller than a lab but about 24kg - I'd say he is the build of a greyhound - now people often tell me I need to feed my dog more, but the vet said that he appears to be in great shape/perfect weight (believing him to be a wolfhound X) - so where do you go from there, I mean - it's sort of impossible to know what is too skinny if you are unsure if he is a part skinny breed - I think you just have to do the best with the info you have, the advice you have, and not get too concerned by others opinions on what you should be doing with your dog - I had a women pull over the other afternoon, was a 32 degree max day, and I was jogging with Pete from 4pm-4.30, and this women told me it was cruel to be exercising my dog in the heat. Clearly she was a moron (IMO) so I ignore her advice. I guess what I'm trying to say is you're never going to get a complete consensus.

Agree that it can be a bit harder with cross breeds, but the couple I've mentioned are pure breds.

These vets admitted to having never actually seen an Afghan in the flesh, just in a book. Yet they felt the need to rant about his weight.

A few days before all this took place I'd had Walter at a show (just watching) and received numerous comments from very experienced Afghan people on his great condition (esp. as I was a first time Afghan owner and many let them get too fat).

Very annoying when the majority of the public who meet him comment about being too thin. :rolleyes: Gets old after a while.

Edited by Sir WJ

Agree that it can be a bit harder with cross breeds, but the couple I've mentioned are pure breds.

These vets admitted to having never actually seen an Afghan in the flesh, just in a book. Yet they felt the need to rant about his weight.

A few days before all this took place I'd had Walter at a show (just watching) and received numerous comments from very experienced Afghan people on his great condition (esp. as I was a first time Afghan owner and many let them get too fat).

Very annoying when the majority of the public who meet him comment about being too thin. :rolleyes: Gets old after a while.

Sorry I was also commenting in regards to the post on the top of this page about the lab X

It does get old though, I agree..

It doesn't matter what breed or cross breed you have. If you follow the general rules about feeling ribs, no bones sticking out at all angles and no ribs buried in inches of fat, it shouldn't be too hard.

At worst your dog may be a few kg's off ideal (for the average medium sized dog), but should still be close to their correct weight.

I find it a little frustrating that the average Joe Blow finds it so hard to get their dog at a healthy weight - IT ISN'T THAT HARD!

You are in control of the food- reduce it if they are overweight!

I find it more frustraing that many people think fat dogs are the correct weight.

I had a beautiful black lab that I did show a couple of times, some not so nice showies asked if she was crossed with a greyhound! The pointer people loved her and said things like "look a lab that looks like it can do what it was bred too do" I also had pet lab people say "So thats what a lab looks like before they get fat" , it was like a forgone conclusion that being a lab she would get fat ( left to her own devices she would have :-) ).

I've always kept my dogs leaner rather than heavy. Though at the moment Caber is looking a bit round :) Still in great, fit condition but his ribs/pin bones are not as easily felt as I would like them to be (and this is my fault- with Ziva getting extra food atm I feel guilty and slip him a little extra :embarrass: I can still feel his ribs though, but for my preference he needs to lose a little hehe. And compared to many Borders (show & pet) he is definitely not fat :)

If you are happy with Honey's size/weight, then that is fine, she is your dog, but the nature of your thread is essentially asking for opinions on whether Honey is too skinny or not. I happen to think she is too skinny. :)

Geez labsrule, dont you know that when I ask "Do you think Honey is too skinny?" you are supposed to say NO?!!! :) I thought that was the rule with these kind of threads! :)

For the record, I dont have a problem with larger GRs- I am just getting worn down by people telling me Honey is too skinny. I dont go around saying " hmm, I think your dog is too fat" even if I want to!! I think its rude for complete strangers to think they can comment on my dog.

Ok, I did it- took a photo with my camera this morning- here's my starving waif, Honey.

From the side...

DSC01795.jpg

Close up

DSC01796.jpg

and from the top.

DSC01797.jpg

Edited by ✽deelee

In the end, no one can really tell about a dog's weight unless you put your hands on the dog. The scales aren't as helpful.

Coat and conformation can be deceiving but your hands never lie. If you cannot feel rib without pressure using the flat of your hand, the dog is overweight.

A few thousand years of selective breeding hasn't changed that.