A Wave Chaser

K&P

My 10 month kelpie has become a complete nightmare at the beach. He's totally obsessed with chasing & diving into the waves. This isn't the actual problem, as I wouldn't mind that he just wants to play, but when he's in the water he doesn't care where I am, so we can't walk along the beach. He would run for the length of the beach with or without me. Getting him out of the water is extremely difficult. He's even got to the stage where he gets cold & pukes & has diahorrea from drinking so much sea water but he'll still go back for more!

He's currently on beach ban as it's too stressful to take him there.

He has a very high prey drive & will chase pretty much anything that moves (which I'm working on) I can distract him for a while with a ball in the park, but at the beach he has no interest in anything else but getting in the sea.

Recall is currently a bit hit & miss, but he will keep an eye on me to see where I am when we're in the park.

Anyone have any ideas about getting him out of this obsession?

It would be a total shame if we could never go to the beach.

Thanks

K

Edited by K&P

What obedience training have you done with him? A solid recall would solve a lot of these issues.

Active young working dogs need a job. You can choose one for him or he'll find one for himself :)

Have you considered doing agility or herding with him?

he is a working breed, and needs YOU to provide him with an appropriate outlet . :)

he would benefit from more training sessions, maybe look into some herding or flyball or agility?

I would suggest to only walk him on a LONG leash...

I always walk my dog on a very long rope attached to my waist...as he is a hunter.

I use a thinnish strong rope, with a swivel at each end, so there are no tangles.

I have it attached to a belt around me.

The rope is about 6 mtrs long, or a bit more.. so Hamlet can run/swim, sniff- but is still under some control :birthday:

Get a long line and don't let him off on the beach until he actual comes when you call him every time without fail regardless of the distraction. Yep - that may well mean he never gets off the long line in certain situations.

The recall training needs to start in an enclosed space with no distractions and work up to the biggy (on the beach in his case). "Distraction" with another thing he can chase is no substitute for recall :)

Obedience classes would be a place to start.