Yapping Dog

Hi all,

A customer asked me about this and I wasn't sure what to advise her. She has two rescue dogs, Holly (Staffy cross), who is very timid but doing really well. Several weeks ago she took home a raggedy, starving chihuahua who had been wandering the streets for some time. No microchip, very timid, not desexed - apparently he had been kicked so hard that one testicle had separated and is now lodged in his upper leg! His name is Fuzz and he is doing really well now ... except for barking.

If he is outside he barks non stop whether they are home or not. If they reprimand him the other dog Holly gets really scared, Fuzz stops for a second and then keeps going. He's healthy enough to be desexed now, would that make any difference? I've suggested a trainer but they've just started a new business and money is a bit tight. He's outside a fair bit as he isn't getting the hang toilet training too well at the moment. The other dog Holly is happy to be inside or outside.

I have a crate at home which she could borrow which might help with the toilet training, that way he could be inside more.

I said I'd ask for some DOLer input and see if there are any other suggestions to help Fuzz not to bark constantly :thumbsup:

Chihuahua's are not realy suited to being outside dogs, they thrive on companionship. Crate training would hopefully help with his toilet training issues, or could he be gated off to a non carpeted area of the house?.

Poor little mite. No one came forward for him at the pound? (assuming he did his time).

He's healthy enough to be desexed now, would that make any difference?

Personally i think having him desexed would have no bearing on how much he barks. Maybe he just needs more exercise and mental stimulation? If he isn't getting a daily walk or being kept occupied simply walking him, doing some training or giving him bones, kongs etc might not cure the barking but may help. Depending on how old he is I would also suggest that they have his eyes checked. Maybe he is going blind, and i think that can cause some dogs to bark unnecessarily.

The crate is also a great idea so he can be with them more. :thanks:

Chihuahua's are not realy suited to being outside dogs, they thrive on companionship. Crate training would hopefully help with his toilet training issues, or could he be gated off to a non carpeted area of the house?.

Poor little mite. No one came forward for him at the pound? (assuming he did his time).

You're right Clover, I think Fuzz just desperately wants to be part of the family and the owners are a bit out of their depth with a rescue dog who needs extra training and attention. He's had a pretty hard time before coming to this family :laugh:

Buy him a bellyband and have him inside while training him. At least then he won't be peeing on everything.

Sounds like she has her work cut out for her

That would be a good start I think :(

He's healthy enough to be desexed now, would that make any difference?

Personally i think having him desexed would have no bearing on how much he barks. Maybe he just needs more exercise and mental stimulation? If he isn't getting a daily walk or being kept occupied simply walking him, doing some training or giving him bones, kongs etc might not cure the barking but may help. Depending on how old he is I would also suggest that they have his eyes checked. Maybe he is going blind, and i think that can cause some dogs to bark unnecessarily.

The crate is also a great idea so he can be with them more. :thumbsup:

Desexing might not even be an option now. Apparently due to the damage to his testicles it would be a major operation to remove them. He also has a twisted stomach. I know desexing can help to calm some dogs down but the more they tell me about him the more it sounds like Fuzz's problems are related to separation anxiety. I really think he needs to be feel safe inside with his people.

They wanted to have a trainer come in and advise them but unfortunately they just can't afford it at the moment. I've offered them the use of my crate and to come up on Sunday and have a look at the situation. I've made it clear that I'm not a trainer and not an expert, I would just look at it as if it were my own situation and tell them what I would do if it were my dogs. They're also a bit lost with the toilet training so it might help for them to have some step by step help.

Hopefully getting him used to the crate and some very specific toilet training will help to settle him down. The little chap just wants to be inside.

Thanks for your input guys :D