Why Not?

Dlanigervon

I have noticed, more often than not, a GSD Specialty is held at a different location to the main show. Must be disrupting someone for them to do this.

Double handling works both ways, you can get your dogs attention while disadvantaging others. How is that fair??

I'd say the biggest reason why GSD specialties are held in separate areas to other breeds is because the rings are much bigger :laugh:

What do you mean by double handling disadvantages others? Not something I've ever thought about or experienced

As showdog has answered already, some methods of double handling are very loud, distracting and thus could be disadvantaging to another dog.

Our Constitution says that the use of squeek toys is not allowed - I witnessed an exhibitior being told so by another exhibitor before going in for a BIG line up. The squeek toy was this dogs tool for gaining expression however is very distracting for the dog behind who doesn't like squeek toys, thus the disadvantage.

But if conditions were, such as in a GSD specialty, that anything goes basically, you can use whatever works for your dog - wouldn't everyone be in the same boat? I guess GSDs who go through the specialty ring from baby puppies soon learn to tune out to all but their people/noises, so I've never experienced say my squeaky toy dog being distracted by another dogs whistle or rattle

Can't deny it people....there are lots of us that have seen it (and been doing it) and it IS in fact deplorable what happens all in the attempt to 'get a dog to focus' or simply keep him running.....

Deplorable? Yep I'll deny it - I've not seen anything I'd consider deplorable in an effort to animate a dog in the GSD specialty ring. I've seen a lot of people having fun and perhaps making idiots of themselves but if it works for them and their dog, whats the issue?

and as someone that's been both inside the ring and watched from the outside, I have seen the majority of dogs not respond to double handling..so therefore..is it effective?

Not being a smart :champagne: but have you been to a GSD specialty since you've been in Australia? I'm not sure if they're different to what you've seen but the ones I attend, the dogs definitely respond to their double handlers, whistles, squeakers etc I'd be quite surprised if other people had the same opinion as you about this.

My pup can be in a line up of 20 dogs being stood for the judge to look over and I can be on the other side of the ring behind a gazebo with her special squeaky toy and see her ears jump up when she hears it - she knows to listen out for it. We train with it, hide and seek - find where your squeaky toy is squeaking from and get a treat. Do a few laps of the cones and get a play session with your squeaky toy - it motivates her. She's had it in her mouth on the pegs while the judge critiques her before :thumbsup:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic