Brand New Baby

Mya24

Hi All

This is my first post, and I am the very proud owner of a Siberian Husky named Mya. She is currently 9 weeks old and had been with us for a week. Luckily I was able to have a week off work to settle her in to our home.

So far things are going well with her responding to her name and becoming excellent at Sit & Come commands. We have had a few toilet training accidents but she has gone the last three days without any slip ups.

I have her on diet of Eukanuba dry food and water with Liver treats for training and rewards for great behaviour. I have her enrolled in Puppy preschool that starts on 28th February.

Being a first time Mum :( , I am really open to advice or tips to raise Sibes and i want to make sure I am doing everything right by Mya.

So far my only issue is the constant biting. I have tried using a strong No command and replacing object of her attention (usually my hand or foot :) ) with a toy or puppy bone. She has gotten a lot better since introducing these other distractions. Does anyone have any recommendations on whether this is a breed specific trait or whether it is simply a 'puppy' thing that I need to continue to train her not to do?

Your feedback or comments are greatly appreciated.

Congratulations on your new puppy :)

Sorry I have no experience with Siberians but I would LOVE to see some photos of your Mya :(

Hi Holly's Mummy,

Hopefully this works, still trying to figure out how to do this all.

I am a little biased but I think she is beautiful :dancingelephant::champagne:

post-33298-1266123504_thumb.jpg

post-33298-1266123551_thumb.jpg

OMG she is SOOOOOOO cute

Look at those eyes

I know... It was the eyes that sucked me in. Who could say no to her? Bit of a problem when she is being mischievous and I have to look in her eyes and say "No"

Does your Husky bite you in play?

So far my only issue is the constant biting. I have tried using a strong No command and replacing object of her attention (usually my hand or foot :( ) with a toy or puppy bone. She has gotten a lot better since introducing these other distractions. Does anyone have any recommendations on whether this is a breed specific trait or whether it is simply a 'puppy' thing that I need to continue to train her not to do?

Not sure if Sibes in general tend to be a "mouthy" sort of breed or not, but it is most definitely a puppy behaviour :dancingelephant: What you are doing is correct, each time she mouths you or anything else she's not meant to (furniture/shoes/whatever) give a firm "NO" or "Uhhh uh!" command and replace the item with an appropriate puppy toy. As well as this, each time she voluntarily chews her toy, give her light praise "good girl!" in a nice happy voice, so she knows she's doing the right thing.

Soon enough she'll start teething and her need to chew may increase. During this time you can try giving her a frozen chicken carcass or other large bone as part of her daily food, which will help soothe her sore teeth.

Do pop into the Sibe thread too and speak to the experienced owners in there :) Sounds like you're doing a great job so far!

OMG she is SOOOOOOO cute

Look at those eyes

I know... It was the eyes that sucked me in. Who could say no to her? Bit of a problem when she is being mischievous and I have to look in her eyes and say "No"

Oh God yes she does

Shes getting a lot softer with her biting though

I say OUCH! or OW! when she bites me redirect her to a toy

I don't think being mouth is a sibe specific thing though. The sibe puppy I had before Esky wasn't mouthy at all

Has Mya started water digging and dipping her paws in her water bowl yet? That's one behaviour I would gladly do without :)

OMG she is SOOOOOOO cute

Look at those eyes

Oh God yes she does

Shes getting a lot softer with her biting though

I say OUCH! or OW! when she bites me redirect her to a toy

I don't think being mouth is a sibe specific thing though. The sibe puppy I had before Esky wasn't mouthy at all

Has Mya started water digging and dipping her paws in her water bowl yet? That's one behaviour I would gladly do without :champagne:

Yes she has :thumbsup: ..... Lots of playful splashing.

We are buying her a childs shell pool/sand pit (about $21 from BIG W) and planning on giving her a specific outlet for the splashing, plus it will cool her down on the hot days. I was told to get another for sand to encourage the digging only in that area as well.

We were silly and bought a plastic water bowl but I will be getting her a stainless steel one tomorrow that is harder to tip over.

We got Esky one of those pools. She absolutely loves it.

I got Esky one of these fountains

SDC15312.jpg

It holds 10.5 litres of water and keeps the water cold and flowing

Although Esky is a cheeky one, it didn't stop the splashing like I had hoped it would

At least I have the peace of mind when I leave her at home that she won't tip over her water bowl and die of thirst while I'm out

SDC15313.jpg

Edited by Eskythehusky

We got Esky one of those pools. She absolutely loves it.

I got Esky one of these fountains

SDC15312.jpg

It holds 10.5 litres of water and keeps the water cold and flowing

Although Esky is a cheeky one, it didn't stop the splashing like I had hoped it would

At least I have the peace of mind when I leave her at home that she won't tip over her water bowl and die of thirst while I'm out

SDC15313.jpg

Wow Esky is so beautiful. I really like the idea of that fountain (especially for when we go out or go to work). What is the name of it?

Can you tell me where you bought it and if it's not too forward approx how much it was?

Wow Esky is so beautiful. I really like the idea of that fountain (especially for when we go out or go to work). What is the name of it?

Can you tell me where you bought it and if it's not too forward approx how much it was?

The fountain is made by a company called "Dog It"

We purchased it from Pet Domain (not sure if they have any of those where you are)

And it cost us around $130

This has worked great for us. Esky loves it. Our cat loves it. I even tried it out when we first got it out of the box :champagne:

I found you a link for it

http://www.petdirect.com.au/product_info.p...roducts_id=1281

Cheaper than we got it :thumbsup:

Edited by Eskythehusky

No problems.

Considering where you live it might be worth considering one of these http://cgi.ebay.com.au/POLAR-COLLAR-COOL-P...=item3a571997c5

at some point. It's called a polar collar, and I found it worked really well on my other Husky. You can find similar products in pet stores, but they involve you filling the collar up with ice, which melts. The polar collar has special things inside it which keep it cool..

(man I sound like a really bad advertisement)

Also, do you have Kongs. Kongs are great for teethy, chewy bitey dogs. I like to put chicken mince in Esky's Kong then freeze it. Keeps her busy forever

Congratulations on your new puppy :)

Sorry I have no experience with Siberians but I would LOVE to see some photos of your Mya :D

Hi Holly's Mummy,

Hopefully this works, still trying to figure out how to do this all.

I am a little biased but I think she is beautiful :(:rofl:

OH MY GOSH my heart just melted, she is just beautiful, I love her eyes :rofl:

Thank you for the stunning photos :rofl:

Hi All

This is my first post, and I am the very proud owner of a Siberian Husky named Mya. She is currently 9 weeks old and had been with us for a week. Luckily I was able to have a week off work to settle her in to our home.

So far things are going well with her responding to her name and becoming excellent at Sit & Come commands. We have had a few toilet training accidents but she has gone the last three days without any slip ups.

I have her on diet of Eukanuba dry food and water with Liver treats for training and rewards for great behaviour. I have her enrolled in Puppy preschool that starts on 28th February.

Being a first time Mum :rofl: , I am really open to advice or tips to raise Sibes and i want to make sure I am doing everything right by Mya.

So far my only issue is the constant biting. I have tried using a strong No command and replacing object of her attention (usually my hand or foot :) ) with a toy or puppy bone. She has gotten a lot better since introducing these other distractions. Does anyone have any recommendations on whether this is a breed specific trait or whether it is simply a 'puppy' thing that I need to continue to train her not to do?

Your feedback or comments are greatly appreciated.

Love the pics. :rofl: :D

Our breeder suggested (White Shepherd) to hold the mouth firmly closed saying No biting until they struggle to get away. Then release.

It took about 5 -6 goes and she stopped. This is aversion the equalivant to the naughty corner for a child.

By replacing the biting with a toy/bone you are rewarding the bad behaviour.

ETA. I used the same technique to stop her pulling when on lead. Pulled her up firm saying No pulling. Took a while but it worked. I started this from very early on as I have a bad hip and could not have her pulling me.

Edited by Bilbo Baggins

No problems.

Considering where you live it might be worth considering one of these http://cgi.ebay.com.au/POLAR-COLLAR-COOL-P...=item3a571997c5

at some point. It's called a polar collar, and I found it worked really well on my other Husky. You can find similar products in pet stores, but they involve you filling the collar up with ice, which melts. The polar collar has special things inside it which keep it cool..

(man I sound like a really bad advertisement)

Also, do you have Kongs. Kongs are great for teethy, chewy bitey dogs. I like to put chicken mince in Esky's Kong then freeze it. Keeps her busy forever

No, you dont sound like a bad advertisement - I really appreciate all the advice. I was planning on getting a Kong but the Kong filling that the lady suggested at the Pet Store really looked dubious.

So other than chicken mince are there any other foods that I should be introducing to her - or is it better not to?