How To Discipline Your Dog

becandcharch

The problem with old shoes is that most dogs can't distinguish between old and new shoes - a shoe is a shoe as far as they are concerned.

That's utter rubbish. :laugh:

Howard can definitely spot the new shoes.. its all he seemed to munch on when I was stupid enough to leave them out. :o

That dog should be awarded for his contribution to the Australian footwear industry. :D

The really advanced ones can not only detect the new shoes but also the most expensive :laugh:

You know the more I look at that pic of Asha, the more I see Whippet blood in her. :D

The problem with old shoes is that most dogs can't distinguish between old and new shoes - a shoe is a shoe as far as they are concerned.

Howard can definitely spot the new shoes.. its all he seemed to munch on when I was stupid enough to leave them out. :o

That dog should be awarded for his contribution to the Australian footwear industry. :D

The really advanced ones can not only detect the new shoes but also the most expensive :laugh:

You know the more I look at that pic of Asha, the more I see Whippet blood in her. :D

She is definately a Speedy Gonzalez. See how I found an excuse to post more pics :doh:

4354263421_c7de80b705.jpg

4354263437_0f47b1f0e0.jpg

4353139254_013067cf13.jpg

That's utter rubbish. :D

Howard can definitely spot the new shoes.. its all he seemed to munch on when I was stupid enough to leave them out. :laugh:

That dog should be awarded for his contribution to the Australian footwear industry. :doh:

The really advanced ones can not only detect the new shoes but also the most expensive :D

My OH would get SOOO cranky each time Evie ate his thongs, took him THREE pairs of Havaiianas to get that he should put them AWAY. :o

We have a shoe basket now, legacy of Evie. Works a treat. Not only protected our shoes but got them off the ground so I dont have to clean them up. :laugh:

Worked for the kids Barbies too. :D

I actually give my dogs my old shoes, mine can't tell the difference between old and new shoes but they can tell the difference between the ones they have been given and the ones that are left by the door.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else though!

Worked for the kids Barbies too. :laugh:

Mmm Asha would LOVE barbies! We now keep all of the bedroom doors closed. She carried my mobile phone out from the lounge room via doggie door and onto the back lawn last week.

I got to it before she chewed it thank dog. I have to look around the house with 'Asha eyes' now. Hmm if I was Asha what would taste good.. :o

I agree with everyone else, put the socks away, but I once read in a book on Rottys (not that yours is a rotty) that they are great thieves and you have to be creative to solve problems. One of their suggestions was to set mouse traps, maybe a mouse trap inside a sock would give her a fright without hurting her, the down side is she may feel she has to kill that sock. :o Dont know never tried it. She looks like a bit of a character and Im sure she will grow out of it in time.

Edited by kelpiekaye

I actually give my dogs my old shoes, mine can't tell the difference between old and new shoes but they can tell the difference between the ones they have been given and the ones that are left by the door.

Ditto! The ones by the door get a fun reaction when you run off with them. :o But at least if the monster is looking for a shoe to sit down and chew up he normally settles for the ones he's been given without looking for a forbidden one.

Worked for the kids Barbies too. :D

Mmm Asha would LOVE barbies! We now keep all of the bedroom doors closed. She carried my mobile phone out from the lounge room via doggie door and onto the back lawn last week.

I got to it before she chewed it thank dog. I have to look around the house with 'Asha eyes' now. Hmm if I was Asha what would taste good.. :o

Yep, Barbies have just the perfect 'give' when chewed, they were a huge hit :laugh: .

One small hope- Evie did stop stealing stuff when she was about one.

We used to have to watch her like a hawk- I kept chicken wings on hand and if ever I couldnt supervise her in the house (when we were home) I would pop her outside with a wing.

After months of catching her with things and making her gove them back sternly, she eventually gave it up.

A toy accidentally left outside when she was home alone though? dead. :laugh:

:( Hi Kelly Louise :( Remember that little angel I was posting about not so long ago!!

:rolleyes: WHAT? The angel with 'those' innocent eyes? Surely not... you MUST be making this up!!

Went through the same thing with Sasha... once she settled she changed... thankfully for us, for the better (slightly)!! But you were always going to find the quirks after a while, we discovered some weird things about Sasha only after a good couple of months. But it's all part of their charm. I found that again, after about 6 - 8 months after strong leadership and training and routine had been established Sasha calmed down alot more again. Hopefully, when Asha realises she is there to stay and 'belongs' she may calm down and the novelty may wear off. Hopefully Charch will be a good influence on her - and not the other way around :)

You guys think you have a broken dog? Sasha is only naughty when we are THERE. Total angel when we are away, not a thing out of place or touched. When we are home though that Sash gets the naughtiness bug :) Luckily it's nothing extreme... she likes to chew slowly unravel the carpet in her bedroom... she has a couple of sleeping holes that no matter how much we try to fill in, she re-holes... and she digs weird bodgy holes to bury her bones in weird places... and maybe once or twice a shoe has been chewed. But it's all few and far between - so it never gets stressful thankfully. It's more just surprising and... well... amusing mostly :( because she's so bad at being naughty. And her hole digging/burying skills are just embarassing...

I hope she does settle down though and you can find a happy medium - and if not, you learn to live around their flaws. She is such a beautiful dog. I guess it's just a matter of hoping if she doesn't have access to things she may grow out of it, she really is still a baby and immature. My sister has a staffy... chews and tears apart everything at 6 still :mad

PS. I love it when you find a good excuse to post more pics... but seriously, no excuses needed... just a couple at the end of each post is fine :D

Edited by Kelly_Louise

Our pointer pup has eaten 4 dog beds, but we finally beat him with Puppi Trainer Bitter Bite, it cost about $10 for the bottle, you spray it on the bedding and it tastes horrible. After 3 weeks we have a tiny hole about 10c size, and he hasn't looked at it since. As his just 12 months, I really think the spray worked and it wasn't just a fluke.

You could try leaving some socks laying about that have been well sprayed, after he gets a few month fulls of something not pleasant, he may change his mind about how much he loves socks.