Moving House And The Fear Period

Esky the husky

So my boyfriend and I are moving in two weeks. Due to the fact we have limited money we are going to have to do the move ourselves.(think big trailer).

Anyway Esky is 12 weeks old so has entered / will soon be entering her fear period.

What kind of things can I do to make the move as easy on her as possible?

Probably a dumb question, but I know how important the next few weeks are in terms of her development

We had Aubrey flown at 12 weeks and it didnt do her too much distress.

Just make sure that it is comfortable, relaxed and enjoys the experience and I am sure you'll both be fine :(

If you are crating for the move, get them used to it, to the transportation in a car etc so that it is associated with good things in the transport before the big day :thumbsup:

Good luck with the move and the new house.

I have never owned a husky and really only have experience with newfies.............But I find dogs in general get the fear period at six /eight months. I find the 12-16 weeks puppies are very trusting. probably as long as you are a constant to the pup, Esky and try to keep some sort of routine with play/potty and food. things should be fine. Esky will still have her own crate and furry friends?

I would be more concerned with moving your cat. Cats are often more unsettled. Dogs just love their people so much, they just want to be with them. Just make sure they are tagged with you mobile number in case the worst case scenario, you lost someone on your trip. Good luck, it is a looooooong way.......

The cat should be fine. He's been on a couple or road trips with us to South Australia. He's pretty comfortable with everyone

We have to move into my inlaws house for a while then our new place. So I'm sure Esky will be seeking our her crate for a bit of time out. There is already 3 dogs on the property.

Thanks for everyones reassurance

Pup should be fine - and yes, the crate will be her safe haven. Just to reassure you - my BC boy flew from Perth to Hobart at 10 weeks - quite happy - settled into a house with another BC and a large cat - no problems. Then a couple of weeks later, travelled to Melbourne on the Spirit of Tasmania, spent a week there, visiting rels, then back on the ferry. Three weeks later - across Bass Strait again for a 4 day agility seminar - staying in a different place, with another dog. All with no problems at all. Think he regards travelling as normal now :confused: .

Good luck with the move.