Brown Spots On Tummy

dee lee

Over the last month or so Honey has developed lots of strange brown spots on her tummy.

Initially I thought they were moles I hadnt noticed, but recently I realised that some of them had developed into licking sores and that more brown spots were developing.

On our early morning walks she was getting drenched under her tummy and it wasnt drying properly. I wondered if that might be the cause so for the last couple of weeks I have been giving her a good dry down with a towel when we get home (which she hates- NOT! She joyfully rolls over straight away, the tart :( ).

The licked spots and some others dry ones have scabbed up and rubbed off, but there are still a lot left and her tummy still looks dirty (its not).

I dont know if its a co-incidence but she has started to get pinky staining on some parts of her fur too.

Any suggestions what it could be or what I can do about it? It doesnt seem to bother her at all since I have been drying her.

(I realise photos would be good but Im at work and will try post some tonight)

it may be something called Black Skin Disease, it is a genetic disease, and does not otherwise effect your dogs health, but your vet can help you relieve symptoms. Other things that can cause this are mange, flea allergies and food allergies. Please see your vet for diagnosis and treatment to prevent secondary infection from scratching.

Yeast infection. I have seen alot of pugs get brown/black spots on their groin due to yeast infections. These areas sometimes turn moist and scabby.

In pugs it's usually due to the food they are eating. Solution is to change the diet. But in the mean time bathe with Physohex, or similar, and apply Panalog, or similar.

With both Black skin disease and Yeast infections there would be a noticeable unpleasant smell.

She doesn't smell any different.

Rysup- what is this Brown Itch you speak of? Does it look like how I have described? What sulphur based ointment do you use?

The brown itch I see is like dirt that wont wash off. You can scratch at the spots and they dont come off. It's never been something I have seen "diagnosed" by a vet. It's just something we know about in Lhasa Apsos - its quite common. I cannot even tell you what causes it, but it makes the dogs scratch like mad.

We always made our own ointment. I am trying to find the recipe for you, it is somewhere in my vast paper files! Basically you bought sulphur from the health food shop, mixed it with metho in a jar. Give the jar a good shake, and paint it on with a paint brush. It settles really quickly, so you have to keep stirring or shaking the jar so that you get the sulphur through the mix. It works really, really well. I still have a jar of the sulphur in my grooming box, but the metho has all evaporated! However I quick top up and I could use it again.

I will get back to you when I find the recipe!

The brown itch I see is like dirt that wont wash off. You can scratch at the spots and they dont come off. It's never been something I have seen "diagnosed" by a vet. It's just something we know about in Lhasa Apsos - its quite common. I cannot even tell you what causes it, but it makes the dogs scratch like mad.

We always made our own ointment. I am trying to find the recipe for you, it is somewhere in my vast paper files! Basically you bought sulphur from the health food shop, mixed it with metho in a jar. Give the jar a good shake, and paint it on with a paint brush. It settles really quickly, so you have to keep stirring or shaking the jar so that you get the sulphur through the mix. It works really, really well. I still have a jar of the sulphur in my grooming box, but the metho has all evaporated! However I quick top up and I could use it again.

That's the exact description! Thanks Rysup, I would love that! :(

I wonder if its some kind of fungal thing due to the wet grass.

it may be something called Black Skin Disease, it is a genetic disease, and does not otherwise effect your dogs health, but your vet can help you relieve symptoms. Other things that can cause this are mange, flea allergies and food allergies. Please see your vet for diagnosis and treatment to prevent secondary infection from scratching.

Black Skin Disease CAN be genetic but it is not solely genetic, it has many variables and Black Skin Disease itself can look like 100 different skin complaints.

My dog gets that. However those brown tiny spots then turn into actual pigmentation spots that stay forever.

OK I have just found a copy of the article, so will type it out for you. I might put it on my website, its useful information!

Ok the basic recipe is -

Mix together:

One Quart Methylated Spirits

One Ounce of Camphor

Three Ounces of Precipitated Sulphur

Then separately mix together

One ounce Boracic Acid, dissolved in one pint of boiling water

Allow to cool and then combine the two.

Always shake well when transferring from stock bottle. This mix will keep for years.

There you go! Have fun finding the ingredients - I think you will need a compounding chemist to get the Boracic Acid these days, but I know a lot of showies still get it.

Edited by Rysup

They seem to sas.

Ignore my last message, the recipes are the same, with a bit added.

A non greasy sulphur mixture referred to as a disinfectant and coat dressing. Works wonders in summer for rashes and hot spots. It can be used if oily mixtures will soil furniture. Shake the bottle well during use as the sulphur will remain on the bottom of the bottle otherwise.

Recipe for Mixture

Mix together one quart of methylated spirits.

One ounce of camphor

Three ounces of Precipitated sulphur

Then

Mix together one ounce boracic acid dissolved in one pint of boiling water

Allow to cool and then add to sulphur mix

Always shake well when transferring from stock bottle. This mix will keep.

Pharmaceutical quality Olive Oil or baby Oil and precipitated sulphur. Mix into a paste and apply once or twice daily. Stir before use. Rub into affected area. A few days is usually all that is needed. Signs of healing should be seen within a couple of days.

Edited by Rysup

It must be the same thing- Honey's spots have stayed too. The ones that havent turned to scabs and rubbed off, anyway.

Ok, now that I have the "cure" (Thanks Rysup!! :( -that will certainly challenge my inner chemist! :thumbsup: ),

I am dying to know what it is!

I have typed up the entire article, with additions, and put it on my website here http://www.rysup.com/thecure.html

Some of the article seems a bit far fetched.....but I HAVE used this oil-less mixture with great success over the years. It really is worth making up a batch.

Thats excellent! Thank you!

If I cant find the Boracic acid I might just try the oily recipe.

I still want to know what it is!!! :(

Deelee, thank you for bringing up this topic :( !!!

You described spot on (pun intended :) ) what Archie has; so far the vet hasn't been overly interested in addressing this "minor" issue.... Now how can I get hold of the ingredients :( ?

Deelee, thank you for bringing up this topic :laugh: !!!

You described spot on (pun intended :mad ) what Archie has; so far the vet hasn't been overly interested in addressing this "minor" issue.... Now how can I get hold of the ingredients :laugh: ?

Oooh, interesting- we probably walk the dogs in the same area (Centennial Parklands?), I wonder if that's significant? Actually its probably more the longer hair and wet grass thing that's significant. (then again, Sas wouldnt have that to worry about...) Sorry, just thinking "out loud". :rofl:

I was considering taking her to the vet, but what you've said is the reason I'm reluctant. Last time (years ago) I went to a vet for a skin condition it cost me a fortune to be told they didn't know what it was. :mad