Funny Smell From Ear?

pmiller

Hi All,

My CKCS has a bit of a funny smell coming from one of her ears. I can only describe it as a "sweet" smell that is really strong and quite unpleasant. It has been there for maybe a week or two. Visually, the ear looks ok, no discharge. She did throw up this afternoon, but don't know if that is related. Otherwise, she is behaving normally.

Should I take her down to the vet sooner rather than later, as I have her booked in on the 1st for pro-heart and yearly vaccination.

Any advice appreciated!

Funny smells in the ear are usually related to ear infections. Is she shaking her head, holding it to one side or scratching at it any more than usual?

I know when Zero has an ear infection, he displays no symptoms except his ears have gunk in them (you have to look down his ears to see it) - he doesn't shake his head or scratch at it though he usually doesn't want me to play with the hair in his ears so I can look in it. Different dogs display different symptoms. I would get her down the vet because untreated ear infections can affect their hearing in the long term. Zero had a lot of untreated infections before I got him and now when he gets them he practically goes deaf because he ear canal is so narrow (the walls of the canal thicken when the dog has an ear infection).

IMO you can never be too careful. A funny smell could mean something is wrong, even if the dog isn't displaying symptoms.

I agree with everything Shell said. My dog too doesnt show any symptoms other than an ear that really stinks and if i touch her ear she squeals in discomfort. Within a couple days it starts oozing so i always take her to the vet as early as possible.

Untreated ear infections get severe very quickly in my experience.

One thing you can do is try the malaseb ear wash, this is the only thing that doesnt sting my dogs ears so can recommend it.

Can I just add that I wouldn't give any of my dogs those two vaccinations at the same time?! Actually I won't use the yearly heartworm needle at all but definitely not a good idea at the same time as vaccination.

Thanks for the advice Gretel. Will discuss with the vet and probably get hers and Shiraz's proheart done tomorrow then and do the vaccinations on the 1st.

Can I just add that I wouldn't give any of my dogs those two vaccinations at the same time?! Actually I won't use the yearly heartworm needle at all but definitely not a good idea at the same time as vaccination.

Thanks for the advice Gretel. Will discuss with the vet and probably get hers and Shiraz's proheart done tomorrow then and do the vaccinations on the 1st.

Please seriously reconsider the yearly heartworm, giving a chewable tablet once a month is a far better option (I do mine on the 1st of every month and mark the calendar so it can't be forgotten) The yearly injection has had a huge amount of "side effects" and I wouldn't ever consider it.

The vet won't always tell you the "best" advice for those kinds of treatments so perhaps asking some of the breeders here and heeding their advice would be wise.

I know that sickly sweet unpleasant smell. I bet she has a yeast infection in her ear. My Cav boy had it last year. His ears had no discharge or obvious sign of infection either.

Once you smell a yeasty ear you will recognise the smell for evermore. The vet prescribed Surolan drops and the ear was perfect when we went for a recheck in 8 days.

Now if I think I can smell the slightest hint of yeast I use Malacetic Otic and that does the trick. I bought it online when someone recommended it for yeasty ears. I smell both my Cavs ears every couple of days now just to make sure all is well.

I agree with Gretel about the shots. I wouldn't use the heartworm one at all and definitely not at the same time as the parvo/distempter/hep vaccination. It's too much for the system to cope with.

Well those last two posts got it right! Yeast infection it is and she is going on to some stuff called Dermotic. Hopefully it clears up soon. Thanks for the advice all.

So, just out of curiosity - did you ask about the yearly heartworm injection? Did you go ahead with it while you were there?

Well those last two posts got it right! Yeast infection it is and she is going on to some stuff called Dermotic. Hopefully it clears up soon. Thanks for the advice all.

So, just out of curiosity - did you ask about the yearly heartworm injection? Did you go ahead with it while you were there?

I didn't get the heartworm done but did ask about it. The vet felt it was absolutely no problem to do both at once, and that in fact they were sort of designed that way. Still undecided about what to do, as Shiraz had both last year and I didn't have any problems. Will do my research!