On Lead At An Off Lead Dog Beach

goldenluv

So pleased to read this because I had the exact same question.

We took Max to the off lead beach at Brighton a weekends ago. We kept him on lead (retractable, and we had him under good control) and we got a number of comments. I thought I had done the wrong thing and have been too scared to take him back. We went on a Sunday and it was really busy, next time I will go during the week when it's quieter.

But yeah, he had a ball playing in the sand and water and sniffing all the dogs ..... I know he doesn't have recall and I wouldn't have effective control of him off his lead so it seemed the right thing to do.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We took Max to the off lead beach at Brighton a weekends ago. We kept him on lead (retractable, and we had him under good control) and we got a number of comments. I thought I had done the wrong thing and have been too scared to take him back. We went on a Sunday and it was really busy, next time I will go during the week when it's quieter.

But yeah, he had a ball playing in the sand and water and sniffing all the dogs ..... I know he doesn't have recall and I wouldn't have effective control of him off his lead so it seemed the right thing to do.

Personally I'd never take my dog to this beach on leash during a popular time - it is waaay too busy and there are a lot of over excited dogs there. If you go before 8am it is pretty quiet.

Personally I'd never take my dog to this beach on leash during a popular time - it is waaay too busy and there are a lot of over excited dogs there. If you go before 8am it is pretty quiet.

Thanks Megan :laugh: I learnt my lesson the hard way. I was thinking it would be quieter on a week day morning, say after 9 (earliest I can get there with drop off).

I don't have any problem with a dog being on lead, especially a long lead, in an off-lead/effective control area BUT, I do have a problem with the long lead being a flexi lead. IMHO these can present quite a hazard for dogs and owners, the cord being as thin as it is - and difficult to shorten and lengthen easily. I much prefer a long light lead like a tracking lead. Easier to drop part of it, as suggested by Vix, to change the dog's posture and reduce tension - and much less likely to cut or otherwise damage legs - canine and human.

I agree with the retractable lead around other dogs. That's why I made sure when I got the lead that it's a flat, nylon lead (not a chord one) and I engage the lock and use it as a normal lead when around other dogs - I have it shortened to normal lead length. I only use the in & out function when it's just us in the park - lets him have a good sniff around and stretch his legs and I have peace of mind he won't run off. I won't even use it walking down the street as a retractable because I'm worried he'll dash off after a car (he chases everything!) so it's only for wide, open, lonely spaces :confused:

I don't like retractables. Apart from the reasons mentioned, it works on the premise that the dog puts pressure on the lead and the dog gains more ground. Completely opposite to what I train for. IE Loose Lead.

Think about this if your wishes for a dog to walk without putting pressure on the lead is the same as mine :confused:.

I don't like retractables. Apart from the reasons mentioned, it works on the premise that the dog puts pressure on the lead and the dog gains more ground. Completely opposite to what I train for. IE Loose Lead.

Think about this if your wishes for a dog to walk without putting pressure on the lead is the same as mine :laugh:.

Have a really good think about this if you're contemplating attaching one to a head halter (as I frequently see :confused: )

Think about this if your wishes for a dog to walk without putting pressure on the lead is the same as mine :laugh:.

Have a really good think about this if you're contemplating attaching one to a head halter (as I frequently see :confused: )

Well said, pf. My pet hate. Each of those pieces of equipment should come with a big letter warning that they are not to be used with the other IMO. So much risk of major injury.

The other thing I don't like about retractables is that you can't get the same feel from the handle as you do from a normal lead - and you can't do the fingertip 'power-steering' thing - remember Suzanne Clothier talking about that.

Well said, pf. My pet hate. Each of those pieces of equipment should come with a big letter warning that they are not to be used with the other IMO. So much risk of major injury.

The other thing I don't like about retractables is that you can't get the same feel from the handle as you do from a normal lead - and you can't do the fingertip 'power-steering' thing - remember Suzanne Clothier talking about that.

Yup. Gee that was a good seminar. :laugh:

We don't use a head halter.

We do our daily walks on a normal lead. No, he's not perfect but he's getting there - we have had massive improvement from when we got him - just persistence & practice really.

Our retractable is not for walking, its for in the park. He doesn't pull on it and if he reaches the end he turns around and romps back. I suppose I could just use a really long lead but this works for us.

Not justifying what or why I use it - I get that it's not for everyone - but it was said don't use a head halter (which we don't) and that it is bad for teaching them to walk nicely (and we don't use it for 'training').

I suppose you have to be veeeeeeeeery careful how you word things around here :confused:

Edited by slk

...and we don't use it for 'training'.

I suppose you have to be veeeeeeeeery careful how you word things around here :confused:

:laugh: .... yep, you do.

Did you know that every time you have your dog on lead you ARE training? :laugh:

Edited by Erny

but surely even when training a dog you are allowed to be slack every now and again? Like when I let the kids hold the lead. I want my pet to be well mannered and part of our family - I'm not training him all the time. All I want is for him to sit when asked (and he has to sit for everything!) and not gag on his lead when walking. Sometimes, we just walk side by side and watch the world go by - or we wander off left and right on a longer lead - sniffing and going pretty much where he wants to go knowing that he can't just bolt off if something takes his fancy.

And when he's on his normal LOOSE lead - he has a range within that LOOSE lead - he may not be pulling it taunt but he walks ahead slightly - this is no different - he's just got a longer range. I don't see the difference between this and a lunge lead?

:confused:

but surely even when training a dog you are allowed to be slack every now and again? Like when I let the kids hold the lead. I want my pet to be well mannered and part of our family - I'm not training him all the time. All I want is for him to sit when asked (and he has to sit for everything!) and not gag on his lead when walking. Sometimes, we just walk side by side and watch the world go by - or we wander off left and right on a longer lead - sniffing and going pretty much where he wants to go knowing that he can't just bolt off if something takes his fancy.

And when he's on his normal LOOSE lead - he has a range within that LOOSE lead - he may not be pulling it taunt but he walks ahead slightly - this is no different - he's just got a longer range. I don't see the difference between this and a lunge lead?

:confused:

While you might not be training him all the time, he is learning. They are crafty little buggers who will take every inch you give them!

Both my dogs have been on long lines at the dog park when they were still in training. I'm waiting for Erik's adolescent moments to kick in and he will go back on the long line! Although, he's 8 months old, almost, and has a better recall than my 2 year old dog. :laugh:

I've never seen any dog behave differently towards one of my dogs because they were on leash or on a long line. But I have once or twice had dogs pick up a trailing long line, and that's a world of trouble if you don't do something fast! The last thing you want is a pup still in training getting dragged through the park by a dog on the other end of the long line. Well, the last thing short of an adult dog coming up to them and spontaneously picking a fight. :thumbsup:

With regard to the retractable lead at the beach- salt water corrodes and will ruin the inside mechanisms of the leash. If any sand or water got on the strap, the lead will be weakened :(

IMO if you're going to use a retractable lead, you should teach the dog a forward or pull command (I don't use these leads personally, preferring horse lunge lines, but my dog has been taught to walk out and put slight tension on the lead... this is not IMO wrong, pulling can be a useful command (okay, more for fun with our dogs but look at sledding dogs, hauling dogs, those who compete in weight-pull etc. They are all taught when and how to pull :mad ).

With regard to the retractable lead at the beach- salt water corrodes and will ruin the inside mechanisms of the leash. If any sand or water got on the strap, the lead will be weakened :(

IMO if you're going to use a retractable lead, you should teach the dog a forward or pull command (I don't use these leads personally, preferring horse lunge lines, but my dog has been taught to walk out and put slight tension on the lead... this is not IMO wrong, pulling can be a useful command (okay, more for fun with our dogs but look at sledding dogs, hauling dogs, those who compete in weight-pull etc. They are all taught when and how to pull :mad ).

bahLUDDY hell! again, i learn something new!!!

and there it is, of course, obvious ... and i am absolutely amazed by it all!

i love dogs...