Chicken Mince

LuckyLuck

This may sound like a dumb question, but what exactly is chicken mince? Is it a whole chicken (bones included) grounded up like hamburger? I am from the US and have never seen chicken mince, maybe its called something else here.

I am interested in this because my 5 month old shih tzu is not eating much and is underweight/size.

This may sound like a dumb question, but what exactly is chicken mince? Is it a whole chicken (bones included) grounded up like hamburger? I am from the US and have never seen chicken mince, maybe its called something else here.

I am interested in this because my 5 month old shih tzu is not eating much and is underweight/size.

Depends really. Most of the time chicken mince is just that - chicken. Pet mince on the other hand is usually minced up chicken frames so chicken and bone.

Some pet mince (particularly the commercial varieties) contains preservatives and other crap. Personally I wouldn't touch that.

Most butchers do fresh minced chicken frames cheaply. But (providing they have a mincer) you can ask for anything you want to be put through. I used to go in and have chicken wings minced in front of me when my boy was a puppy so I knew exactly what I was getting :thumbsup:

I think you can buy actual chicken mince at the supermarket, and it's for human consumption. It's similar to beef mince, it's the meat minced up.

If you're getting chicken pet mince then it's often chicken frames minced up. So it will contain a little bit of meat as well as bone and cartliage.

ETA what SecretKei said :thumbsup:

Edited by Baby Dragon

Yeh I get chicken/pet mince from my butchers. Lots of the chicken butchers like Leonards have chicken mince for pets which is the carcuses/bones minced up.

It's is great for putting on weight and I really have to restrict my ones that easily put weight on from eating too much.

I give it to mine raw stirred through a good qauility dried food or some people like to cook it up with vegies and rice etc.... Just depends on what your dog will eat.

Thanks for the reply. I understand now. My boy needs to put on some weight, so chicken mince it is.

Your username doesnt show what state you are from. Try and find a Pet Food shop, and tell them you want chicken mince with no preservatives. Their chicken mince will be the carcass, which is great for them. You could also try Lenards Chicken if you have one near you. They sell chicken mince for dogs. Is your dog on dry food? If so, check that it too has no preservatives, and also the fat content. The higher the fat content, the more weight your dog will put on. Usually the working dog brands have a higher fat and protein content in them.

Good luck

I had tried chicken mince from Lenards when I needed chicken for my old dog Harry, He wouldn't eat it and when I gave it a sniff it stunk of bleach, I mean it was really gross!

I have been buying turkey mince (human consumption) from Woollies, it comes pre-packed in purple/mauve trays and you can often pick it up for around $4 for a 500g tray. It is Ingham brand.

Sometimes they have wings as well which is a feast for little dogs (watch the dogs tho' as they tend to eat them a bit fast)

I think turkey mince has less fat than chicken though.

• Thanks 1