Fish Oil Capsules

4 Paws

The only thing that worries me about the fish oil is the mercury in them, they all say that they test now and then for mercury in their products but I know some dogs have been tested and their mercury levels are through the roof, because of this I will try and find another oil to feed which is not fish based, I have heard of borage?? oil I think it is? I am busy with an elimination thing so I wont try a new oil right now but after it I might.

all mine get performa 3 - a horse product which has omega 3,6 & 9 plus added garlic, my dogs have been on it for the past 5 yrs... a friend of mine actually contacted the company to enquire about the use with dogs.. and although it is not marketed as such they did provide a dosage rate of 1ml per 7kg, so it is lasting me a hell of a long time...

here is some info taken off the website ( http://www.mitavite.com.au/mitavite06/PERF...roduct-main.asp )which i found useful about omega oils...

THE IMPORTANCE OF BALANCE

Omega 6 oils create hormones which have strong inflammatory actions. These hormones constrict blood flow, cause white blood cells to clump together and are between 100 and 1,000 times stronger at causing inflammation than hormones made with Omega 3. Inflammatory responses can readily occur when the Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratio is out of balance. Laminitis, arthritis and dermatitis are inflammatory diseases and treatment is generally based on anti-inflammatory drugs to counter the effects of inflammatory hormones. Omega 3 oils reduce and control the actions of Omega 6.

Omega 9 oils dilute the amount of Omega 6, thereby containing the damaging effects of excessive inflammatory responses and restoring the ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6.

Omega 3 oils provide hormones which reduce constriction and blockages of blood vessels during inflammation and reduce the over production and excessive inflammatory response which can occur if high levels of Omega 6 are in the diet. Omega 3 oils modify and balance the action of Omega 6 oils.

Omega 3 oils have a major role in the formation of cell walls. Making them supple and flexible. Diets with the correct balance of Omega 3 improve circulation through increased red cell flexibility.

This suppleness and flexibilty is critical, particularly during exercise when heart rate can increase to 240 beats per minute, blood thickens and the packed cell volume increases. The vessels that carry blood through the lungs and muscles are tiny and narrow. Oxygen transfer in the lungs and the muscles takes place in blood vessels that are only one red blood cell wide. The red blood cells pass through one at a time to unload their oxygen and pick up lactic acid and other waste products. When the red blood cell walls are supple and flexible, they pass easily through the tiny, narrow blood vessels in the lungs and muscles, improving blood supply and oxygen delivery and reducing chances of red blood cell sludging and blockages.

I can't remember where no but I read that you shouldn't give pregnant bitches fish oil because they shouldn't get too much Vitamin C. Anyone know anything about this?

Vitamin C is not the issue - I think you may have heard about Vitamin A which should be fine as long as the fish oil is given in sensible amounts and other sources are considered.

The normal dossage is 1 x capsule (1000mg) per 10kgs of body weight.

You'll notice it in soft stools if you're giving too much, you usually need to work up to the full dossage.

You must give Vit E if you're giving Fish Oil, you can get some Fish Oil Capsuals with Vit E in them.

There are Canine ones you can buy that has everything in it such as: http://www.naturevet.com.au/prodetails.php?pid=87

I also feed the Nature Vet brand Fish Oil capsules, he goes crazy for them.

He had bad skin & coat and it is now shiny and healthy