Sore Foot...

♪♫LMBC♫♪

Over the last couple of days Darcy has had a slight limp. It looked like he had a sore foot but we couldn't see any cuts or anything so just figured he must have sprained it. It didn't seem too painful and after a few hours he was fine. But it has been back on and off, although it was only a small limp. I didn't think it was hurting him too much because he was still running around and playing with the other dogs.

Just now, I noticed he seemed to be limping quite badly and when I watched him, he wasn't putting any weight at all on his sore foot. I have had another look and it doesn't look or feel swollen, and he doesn't seem to mind me touching it. I don't know what to think, because he doesn't seem to be in any pain when I touch or squeeze his foot but it must be sore if he won't put weight on it. I will take him to the vet tomorrow but is there anything I should do in the meantime? Right now he is just resting in his crate.

Any advice would be appreciated :o

Oh, don't you hate it when they can't tell you where it hurts. Definitely a vet visit, but in the meantime, I think you're doing the right thing with crate rest. It's possible that the problem is not actually in the foot - could be in his knee - I'm thinking cruciate ligament damage. Does he do a lot of chasing after balls etc.? Bit there's a whole bunch of things it could be.

When one of mine had a problem with a foot, the vet said - "the good news is it's not a fracture - the bad news is it's not a fracture" :o - meaning that soft tissue injuries can be a real nuisance - can take longer to heal than a fracture - 6 weeks plus of restricted activity.

Hope Darcy has a good rest tonight, and that the vet finds it's something relatively simple.

could be a hip joint injury or where the leg joins the back. (seratic (sp) joint? - forget the name). Doesn't have to be a foot injury for your dog to limp. Chasing and running fast, with sharp turns can joint injuries in dogs.

Your vet will be able to help you out.

I just got OH's dad to check it out, we managed to find a cut (possibly a bite from one of the other boys). Its sort of in the inside of his elbow joint. Its not too deep but its in a bit of a bad spot because it probably hurts for him to bend and straighten his leg. So that explains why he's walking around with one leg in the air.

Lucky for Darcy, OH's parents are well equipped with doggy medications so we've given him a painkiller and anti-biotic and he's resting again. They don't think I need to take him to the vet, because its not too bad of a cut and they probably would have just done the same thing we've just done. So I'll see how he goes.

Well, we had another look this morning and noticed his foot was quite swollen. So we tried to have another look at it but he yelped when we touched it too much so off to the vets.

She said its not a fracture because if that was the case it wouldn't have been such a gradual thing, he would have been badly limping straight away. Which was a bit of a relief because that's what we thought it was. She also said it felt like an infection which could have been from the cut further up on the leg. It could also be from a small cut he had on one of his pads a week or so ago that healed up already. So he's now on some stronger antibiotics, painkillers and anti-inflammatories. If he doesn't start to clear up by Friday I have to take him back. So fingers crossed that the antibiotics fix him up.