Nothing Else They Can Do

W Sibs

I haven't read the whole thread so I'm sory if it has aleady been discussed, but have you seen an animal physiotherapist?

My girl has biceps tendonitis at the moment and we have been seeing helen nicholson. I can't recommend her highly enough.

Good luck

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would also try a good naturopath - which is why I suggested Robert McDowall. It seems, from what I understand, that Charlie's system is not absorbing/using Vit D and/or calcium. Therefore the simplest answer would be to get his system to do that - sounds easy - but it's not, although it may be possible. It's not something vets learn, so I wonder about a naturopath to try to get his system to work.

this sounds interesting.. I'm going to have to go look into this.

Take a look at this site, I have used their products with success for a broken vertebrae on a joey, one for seizures and my little dog has had success with the Congestive Heart Failure formula. I don't advocate natural medicines normally but these have really helped me lately, when I was told there was no hope

Holistic Animal Medicines Degenerative Spine

I've had a look at this site before and I don't think there is anything on there that would help Charlie :(

I haven't read the whole thread so I'm sory if it has aleady been discussed, but have you seen an animal physiotherapist?

My girl has biceps tendonitis at the moment and we have been seeing helen nicholson. I can't recommend her highly enough.

Good luck

We were advise not to use physiotherapy with Charlie... due to the fact that his muscules are good. His back and hips won't be able to handle the exercise they will do for him.

there is limited of this he can do... we are just walking him and doing some light swimming with him.

thanks all :)

charleswentworth - it does seem as if Charlie is not absorbing calcium, or it is being leached from his system thus weakening the bones. It's ages since I read the original diagnosis. Excuse me if I am wrong. I often am :(

So it would seem to me that trying to do something to get his system to work would be the next step. And that would mean giving him something to help that happen, as it obviously isn't going to by itself. I don't know much about it, and I don't think your vet does either - it's outside his field of expertise.

The reason I suggested Robert McDowall is that you cannot just give Charlie a pill, or pop down to the health food store for something. Indeed, there may be nothing, but I've read really good things about Robert McDowall here - and he is an animal naturopath, so he has experience. And you are going to need someone smart and experienced. I think physio and acupuncture will probably alleviate pain, but to have a good long term prognosis, I think you need to explore ways to get things to work properly again,

Many things - ie - food, and absorbtion of certain enzymes and minerals - are co-dependent - calcium needs Vit D to be absorbed for instance.

What Charlie has is quite rare.

There was a family of boxers with CM - testing revealed the heart muscles of these dogs were deficient in L-carnitine. The blood levels were normal. It was felt that the deficiency may have been inherited. Dogs don't conserve L-carnitine, so a supplement was necessary for these dogs. A lot of research and study went into this - and we now know that L-carnatine is an important supplement for dogs with dilated cardiomyopathy. (Other supplements also help dogs with heart problems, but that's not the point of this paragraph).

So, I am hoping that there is something, as above, which will help him. I was thinking more long term, rather than pain relief. Something to help his body work properly again. It has always seemed to me that his system was deficient in something - whether you can add that is another matter, but I'd give it a go if it was my dog. :)

Accupuncture sounds like a potentially good idea. They can do stuff which blocks nerves which cause pain. But I don't know about Chinese medicine. Chinese medicine is very well honed for PEOPLE and Charlie is not people... As well all know ppl and animals metabolise things in very different ways. So I would therefore be wary about feeding Chinese medicines to dogs... unless of course you know of a Chinese herbalist who knows what's good for dogs and what isn't etc. I haven't heard of anyone who does this but that isnt' to say that there isn't anything out there. Also, if you do end up going to a Chinese herbalist, make sure that theyre GENUINELY understanding you. Language barriers can cause massive problems and being Chinese myself, I know the tendency in the Chinese culture towards smiling and nodding when they actually have no idea of what's going on... :laugh: One more thing. Chinese medicine is often not for the queasy... there is all kinds of junk in there... for example... ground up cockroaches... *shudder*

Best of luck with Charlie, he looks like such a sweetheart and is very lucky to have a mother like you.

Chinese medicine works just as well on dogs as it does on people. I have been using it for my dogs for over 10 years. Lyn Pinosa at Alternatine Therapies at Austral in Sydney (ph: 02 9606 8922) is a registered doctor of Chinese Medicine and former vet nurse. She has lots of canine and human patients that she has achieved some startling success with. Quite a few patients have both themselves and their dogs treated at the same time.

My latest dog to be treated broke out in a severe itchy rash a few weeks ago and I have managed to avoid using any cortisone on him. He has had acupuncture and chinese herbs and the itch has almost completely subsided. Lyn has also had success treating cancer, chronic infections, hormone imbalances, assorted injuries, etc, etc,

Doctors of Chinese Medicine do not have to be of Chinese nationality. It is taught in out universities here.

So sorry to here that there is nothing the vets can do for Charlie, but I would suggest at least giving Chinese medicine a try.

Edited by dancinbcs

Accupuncture sounds like a potentially good idea. They can do stuff which blocks nerves which cause pain. But I don't know about Chinese medicine. Chinese medicine is very well honed for PEOPLE and Charlie is not people... As well all know ppl and animals metabolise things in very different ways. So I would therefore be wary about feeding Chinese medicines to dogs... unless of course you know of a Chinese herbalist who knows what's good for dogs and what isn't etc. I haven't heard of anyone who does this but that isnt' to say that there isn't anything out there. Also, if you do end up going to a Chinese herbalist, make sure that theyre GENUINELY understanding you. Language barriers can cause massive problems and being Chinese myself, I know the tendency in the Chinese culture towards smiling and nodding when they actually have no idea of what's going on... :laugh: One more thing. Chinese medicine is often not for the queasy... there is all kinds of junk in there... for example... ground up cockroaches... *shudder*

Best of luck with Charlie, he looks like such a sweetheart and is very lucky to have a mother like you.

Chinese medicine works just as well on dogs as it does on people. I have been using it for my dogs for over 10 years. Lyn Pinosa at Alternatine Therapies at Austral in Sydney (ph: 02 9606 8922) is a registered doctor of Chinese Medicine and former vet nurse. She has lots of canine and human patients that she has achieved some startling success with. Quite a few patients have both themselves and their dogs treated at the same time.

My latest dog to be treated broke out in a severe itchy rash a few weeks ago and I have managed to avoid using any cortisone on him. He has had acupuncture and chinese herbs and the itch has almost completely subsided. Lyn has also had success treating cancer, chronic infections, hormone imbalances, assorted injuries, etc, etc,

Doctors of Chinese Medicine do not have to be of Chinese nationality. It is taught in out universities here.

So sorry to here that there is nothing the vets can do for Charlie, but I would suggest at least giving Chinese medicine a try.

TCVM- Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine is actually becoming quite popular here in austraila!! My 4 dogs have all had herbs specifically designed for them by a Vet- from All Natural Vets at Russel Lea!! There are even seminars for vets to be trained in TCVM here in austraila run through the Australian Veterinary Association- I cant WAIT till I have enough money to attend one!

Just out of interest here is a link about TCVM training http://www.tcvm.com/

I have used acupuncture, homeopathics, bowen, massage, chinese herbs- I have found all of them to be helpful for my crew!!

I think that you know what is best for Charlie and that you will know when/if to get another dog. I have been watching your thread and know the effort that you have gone to thus far to keep him safe and comfy.

Good luck with him- I will have to try to make it to a meet that he is at this year- I provide you with extra Lappie cuddles!!

Edited by woofenpup

Charlie will never be far from my mind... I know this sounds weird but in a way he is my heart dog too! I always think of him and send him healing and positive vibes/energy. He looks so much like my two (in the face) that it breaks my heart to think that he is unwell :laugh: We all know you have done everything possible for Charlie and we all love and respect you for that. Many others would have thrown up their hands and given up.. but not you! Charlie will have a life filled with love and that's what matters.

Please give Charlie kisses and hugs from me

Also have you tried swimming? to build muscles etc it also tires them out hehehehe. I take Oscar and Dude swimming all of the time.. Oscar just loves swimming and they sleep for ages after. They have very strong muscles because of it.