Question For The Snake People

Ulfhednar

If a dog eats the head of a brown snake is it still as toxic as if it was bitten??

I had 7 huskies out in the yard this afternoon and heard them all start barking and carrying on.

My 2 girls were fighting and when I went in, it was over a brown snake.

One of the dogs had killed it and it's head had been bitten off.

This happened at about 4.30pm and I had the 2 girls in at the vets and they seem OK although they had some

slow blood clotting which has improved.

The snake was about a 1mtr long but it's width was only that of your thumb. It was definately a brown.

Edited by Ulfhednar

Sheesh- I would be worried- as the venom glands are in the head. ..and when digestion kicks in..what happens?

there was a thread on this some time ago.... and I think there were varying opinions :) I am currently 'shaped' so will not offer to search for you,sorry.

Hopefully someone will come & put your mind at ease.

The head may not have been eaten- it may be lying somewhere in the yard ....

Venom is generally harmless if ingested but toxic when it comes in contact with the underlying tissue normally protected by the skin. Venomous animals have to break the skin with body-spines, stings or teeth (includes fangs in spiders and centipedes). The only venomous reptiles found in Australia are snakes.

Taken from this link Ros http://members.iinet.net.au/~bush/myth.html

Aww, poor Mr Brown, you dont need to worry, you can drink snake venom but if it enters your bloodstream then you know about it.

Mammals that eat snakes always eat the head first.

As long as the fangs dont pierce the skin or gums the venom wont have much effect.

I am currently 'shaped' so will not offer to search for you,sorry.

What does this mean persephone?