Info Etc. Needed

lovemymutts

Hi all,

I am helping with a stall at one of the local shows this weekend. Nothing special, main aim - to raise awareness of rescue dogs & the situation many dogs face locally & across Australia each day. As well as the BYB & puppy farm situations.

I am looking for good websites I can recommend to people (on all sorts of things, rescues, puppy farming, byb's etc.), information I can print out for people even do up some flyers. Also if anyone has any information they would be willing to let me distribute. Anything along those lines would be fantastic!!! Even any ideas on what else to have for people.

I would have loved to have had a power point with a couple of powerful presentations I have seen showing for people but it's not possible :birthday:

I will be having my own rescue dogs present, another rescuer is bringing equipment etc too.

There will be pics up of dogs needing homes.

Any other ideas or just if you have anything to add please do! :)

Thanks!!

I did a stand and had some activities for children. I found sketched of dogs with labels "I feel...scared/angry etc to help them understand dogs body language.

What about a colouring sheet or word search for them? You can use this http://www.armoredpenguin.com/wordsearch/

Print out some pictures of breeds and see if they can match them up.

Can you get some freebies eg our council gives out dog poo bag holders.

Hope it goes well!

Thanks for that guys!! I have visited some of those sites before, will have a look again tomorrow :laugh:

That's a good idea about a matching thing for the kids, i did a grat one when I used to to wildlife that the kids absolutely LOVED.

Anyway keep them coming!!!

Good on you LMM!! Rescue needs more people like you to get the word out about rescue, puppy farms and BYBs.

I have quite a bit of info on my Links page - Fido's Funhouse Links . Feel free to use anything there.

One idea would be to print out A4 pics of dogs in puppy farm conditions with captions like ' buying a cute pup from a petshop ensures that the mother retains her life of misery on a puppy farm' .

You can also have a list of websites for people to look at when they get home. Print out the list on small cards or paper and hand them out.

Also you could print out a poster with pics and info about dogs currently in rescue who need homes. Have tear off strips at the bottom with a contact phone, email or website so people can take the info and enquire about a particular dog.

Hope all goes well for you and well done for trying to educate others and make a difference :laugh:

Katdogs has A5 sized flyers that she prints up about where all our local pounds are, their addresses and phone numbers, etc... we hand them out at the fair, and she has also sent them to a number of local vets who print them up and keep them for customers to take from their counters.

Last year she even wangled a Council Ranger to be at the stall with his microchip scanner and laptop, and we were checking and making sure dogs' chip details were all up to date and correct... it was a big hit! Some people even went home to get their dogs and bring them back to be checked...

I usually have a rescue foster pup or two that helps get people in - puppies are people magnets - and we discuss how the pup came into rescue and how rescue works, etc... Katdogs will also have one or both of her dogs there also.

Our goals are not to shock or scare people about puppy mills and the silly excuses that people can come up with to dump their pets at pounds or shelters - we try to emphasise the positive things that rescue does - and "convert" people to thinking that rescue or reputable registered breeders are better places to get a pet than from a pet shop or BYB... seems to work pretty well for us...

T.