Ai On Maiden Bitch?

Parkeyre

we've had a few matings done via AI with fresh semen - all maiden bitches - all good litter sizes too.

That's really good to hear. :(

How many times did you do the AI per bitch? :laugh:

3 matings per bitch ....every 2nd day.....2 of the bitches though did have a normal mating in between the 2 AI's done either side. The boy is a good indicator though. He smells...if they arent quite ready he'll fart arse around and sniff the ground, try to mount etc, and just muck around. We do use that time to get a sample and check the semen under the microscope and it does clean out his pipes.

But when they are "in" he is like a bull at a gate - so we dont do prog testing or anything like that - he lets us know. Although I would prefer natural... AI is quicker and over in no time.

Edited by MissMonaro

I don't know why anyone considers AI second best . . . I have seen no evidence that there's a biological difference in the pups. I'm in WA and simply can't take the time to go to the Eastern states for a mating.

I wouldn't do frozen semen with a maiden unless there was a strong reason to do so . . . it's a fairly invasive procedure and not cheap . . . I'd prefer to do it on a bitch I already know is fertile and a good mother. I've done chilled semen with vaginal insertion on three maiden bitches . . . I got 10 pups each time.

Timing is critical. Progesterone testing is important. A good repro vet is important.

Sorry - it's been a few days but I only saw this post just now. You said you had 10 pups each with vaginal AI's. Are you willing to tell me which vet you used? I am also in WA and am contemplating breeding a maiden bitch using frozen semen. I usually go to Applecross who now use the trans servical method to A.I.

2 AI on two maiden bitches. Both successful litters, 6 in one and 1 in the oter. We only did one mating for each via surgery with frozen semen. We opted to go this way as we used OS dogs as we wanted to help expand the gene pool here for our breed.

AI is time consuming compared to a natural mating as you have to test Progestrone levels every second day and then day to find the optimal time for surgery. This can be 15 or 20 days into a season, so that is a lot of trips to the vet for tests.

I don't know why anyone considers AI second best . . . I have seen no evidence that there's a biological difference in the pups. I'm in WA and simply can't take the time to go to the Eastern states for a mating.

I wouldn't do frozen semen with a maiden unless there was a strong reason to do so . . . it's a fairly invasive procedure and not cheap . . . I'd prefer to do it on a bitch I already know is fertile and a good mother. I've done chilled semen with vaginal insertion on three maiden bitches . . . I got 10 pups each time.

Timing is critical. Progesterone testing is important. A good repro vet is important.

Sorry - it's been a few days but I only saw this post just now. You said you had 10 pups each with vaginal AI's. Are you willing to tell me which vet you used? I am also in WA and am contemplating breeding a maiden bitch using frozen semen. I usually go to Applecross who now use the trans servical method to A.I.

Have PM'd you. This was chilled, not frozen semen. Applecross did the prog testing.

Edited by sandgrubber