Grooming A Brittany For Show - Please Help!

Hi everyone,

A client of mine has requested that I groom her Brittany prior to attending a show, however I am a pet groomer who has never groomed anything for the showring (and yes, she is well aware of this!)

If anyone knows how to properly prepare a Brittany and could point me in the right direction that would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance!

Sabrina.

:o You sound like me. I've been grooming 11 years and do a mean pet clip, but I go to jelly if anyone mentions they show their dog :( Arm yourself with a good book and have the client bring in some pics of the look she wants. I recently had a forum member do this with their show dog and it helped enormously, hers was a more coated/styled breed though. Perhaps offer to do it together. This way you can do no wrong as the client will be with you.

Good luck!

Don't pick up your clippers or your scisssors LOL :o The owner needs to find out how the breeders do their grooming - do they clip a throat latch area? pumice on the fuzzy head? trim neat feet? have non-trimmed feet?? etc etc There are many variables.....

Unfortunately, I wouldn't have a clue about to groom a Brittany for show otherwise, I'd help you :(

Maybe PM Helen on here? From memory, she has Brittanys.

How did you get on with the show grooming?

Hi Gundoglover,

I wont be doing the Britt until early april....btw..i checked out the site you recommended and it is very helpful, thankyou!

I will also be having the owner stay and guide me through the groom so they fully instruct and pick me to pieces should I look like I'm about to do something wrong, which I am very happy about! :(

Funnily enough..I spent most of last night dreaming about shaving the dogs throat lol...woke up exhausted! LOL

Will keep studying the site you recommended (good pics as well) and refer to my Notes From The Grooming Table book.

I do not own, or have ever used thinning shears however....I have a heap of different shears that I use for different things ( I use at least 2 pairs at a time on one dog)....does anyone think that thinners are an essential tool to have?

The thinning shears are used for blending to give a natural look to the neck. However if you are able to blend using your shears & comb, then that should be ok. Some Brittanys don't grow a lot of hair around their necks anyway & tidying with a razor or coat king is enough. As long as the Brit ends up looking like the "after" view, it will fit in at the Australian shows. The "before" photo is closer to what the UK Brittanys look like in the show ring, but Australian fashions follow the US. Also, I am assuming that the Brittany is orange & white. If so, be careful with blending the orange parts because sometimes the coat is a lighter shade of orange where it is trimmed.

Out of curiousity why are you grooming the dog if the owner already knows how to do it? Seems a bit weird!

I've got two pairs of thinning shears (one roseline and one ~mystery brand~) and I couldn't live without them.

have you seen the dog & its coat quality??

If you are trimming it & it hasnt been done before & your not offay with thinners i wouldnt be doing a full groom in one hit.

If the owners want it to look good & it hasnt been done you need to do alot of pre show grooming to get it to look nice & natural unless your very confident with stripping,thinning & the likes & i wouldnt do it the day before.