Animal Adoptiopn Agency Australia

RufDiamonz

Hi

Has anyone ever delt with these people before? I have a problem, a young couple has come to me about a dog they have brought off these people as a purebred amstaff! Now he has informed them that because it has the microchip papers as an amstaff it IS an amstaff and they dont need papers.... They have rescused this lovely 2.5 yr old desexed amstaff bitch and took it to penrith obedience club where they were promtly told they could not be helped with her as she is a pitbull and they have nothing to prove otherwise and were told a scray story about pitbulls, then the fines etc, the regulations of owning a danderous bredd etc and were terrified.... they have contacted us for help to try and prove parentage as the last thing they want to do is surrender her but they feel they have no choice and are extremely upset.

Well i rang the agency who spun me some crock about they only need microchip papers, they were losing customers as i was keeping him on the ph and i knew nothing a dna test can prove the difference.... i told him my husband was in the RSPCA and im quite aware of the laws. He used to work in Transport and to transport a dog to NZ they had to do a dna test to prove they werent a pitbul??????

I am very stuck here, i dont know what to do for the owners, and i dont want to see this continue with this agency, i love that the dogs are being rescued but the owners are trying to do the right things and seem to be getting ripped off..

Help please!

DNA testing shows exactly the same for an AmStaff and a Pitbull - different "lines" of the same breed essentially.

The dog is chipped as an AmStaff? Then have they registered the dog with their local council? If so, then there shouldn't be any issue... the dog is "legally" not a Pitbull...

T.

Animal Adoption Agency are the same people that run a Doggy Boot Camp that is discussed on here many a time....not positive.....

If the dog is not a pedigree with papers then they can not prove it is not a Pitt Bull.

Staffy Rescue NSW maybe ideal to get in touch with as they can tell you what they reccomend to owners.

Edited by sas

DNA testing shows exactly the same for an AmStaff and a Pitbull - different "lines" of the same breed essentially.

The dog is chipped as an AmStaff? Then have they registered the dog with their local council? If so, then there shouldn't be any issue... the dog is "legally" not a Pitbull...

T.

Providing of course a ranger does not claim otherwise and hand them an NOI. Unless they can prove it's not a Pit Bull via breed ID or other means ( within 28 days ), then it is as far as NSW law is concerned.

Buy or adopt a bull breed in NSW without ANKC papers, then you coculd well find yourself trying to prove that you dog is not an APBT or a cross.

The way for rescue to avoid putting adopters in the above situation is for them to request an NOI from the council, then undertake the breed ID and TT if required. That way they can safely rehome the dogs and the new owners will not be put in a position that they may not understand and certainly may not be able to defend.