Reflux

I have a sheltie who has been extremely ill over the last 3 weeks with a bowel obstruction and peritonitis. After 3 operations and weeks of intensive care he is very well within himself, very bright and seems completely normal but is vomiting his food. Seems to be able to eat on an empty stomach but after that he vomits some food but mostly salvia. Vet thinks he is suffering reflux. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this and how it was dealt with?

Hi cowanbree, sorry to hear about your boy.

The only experience I have had with reflux is it being owing to Immune Mediated illnesses. Reflux was apparent prior to other symptoms showing, during acute illness and afterwards once the dog was on the mend.

Now, that certainly is not to say that your boy is now coming down with an IM disease. He has had gastic and digestive issues, so more than likely it is related to this. Just on the off chance that it does not improve, I would just mention this to your vet and see if he thinks he should run some bloods. A secondary Immune Mediated disease is a possibility, though not necessary likely.

Best of luck with your boy.

Edited by dyzney

Reflux won't show up in blood tests as it is a mechanical issue with the stomach. It is normal to have some reflux transiently, particularly when there has been a lot of digestive upset. I would be feeding bland foods and supplementing with a course of probiotics for a while.

I hadn't thought of the probotics. Will try that. The issue is even feeding extremely bland food he can only have a mouthful of food at a time or he vomits. It is very frustrating as he is otherwise so well. At the moment I am feeding him one mouthful every 15minutes as often as I am home but I can’t do that forever and he is getting so frustrated as he is hungry

Thanks. Cowan has had several panels of full bloods done in recent weeks. Would this show up in them or is it a specific blood test?

cowanbree, yes IM disease wwould have shown up in those bloods. There would have been lowered or elevated white blood cells, red blood cells and/or platelets, so I think it is more likely to be related to the previous issues. As blacklab says, reflux can be transient and normal. And even though it is a new thing for your dog, some dogs tend to be more prone to it, so it may even be on going now.

... just wondering though, is it reflux or is it vomitting?

I hadn't thought of the probotics. Will try that. The issue is even feeding extremely bland food he can only have a mouthful of food at a time or he vomits. It is very frustrating as he is otherwise so well. At the moment I am feeding him one mouthful every 15minutes as often as I am home but I can’t do that forever and he is getting so frustrated as he is hungry

Just a thought

What food is he getting and what is the consistency.

Will it help any if his food i mashed up and not in chunks.

So he also has excessive froth as well?

So does he have an issue with over active saliva glands???

Edited by stonebridge

Not 100% sure it is reflux but given he can eat more on an empty stomach ie 2-3 mouthfuls vs one and the fact that once it is in his stomach it stays there it does lean towards that. The vomit does contain small amounts of food but for the main part is froth. He only brings up the last mouthful or at most 2 vs all the food in his stomach and doesn’t vomit at any other time. He is very well otherwise, hungry, active and toileting normally. Taking him back tomorrow to put barium down him and then x-ray just to make sure there isn’t a blockage. Very frustrating. He has been though so much.

Eta I am currently feeding him mushed up K9 natural. It is low protein at 10% and low fat 12.5% and by adding a bit of hot water is almost a liquid. Prior to this obstruction he has never had anything wrong with him in his life.

Edited by cowanbree

Best of luck with the xrays. Hope they work out what is causing this.

It sounds to me like he has risidual scarring or even just aggravated digestive tract from previously. That may even settle down on it's own. Always good to get answers, and it really doesn't sound right.