Getting Rid Of Fleas In The House!

Bundyburger

My brothers 10yo dog recently had an allergic reaction to fleas. The dogs at mums have had them on and off for years and nothing seems to kill them.

Anyway, she's ended up with a lot of bald patches and pusy weepy sores and on a lot of antibiotics, creams and the like from the vet. The dogs themselves are deflead with advantage fortnightly on advice from the vet(it may even be less time than that I'm not sure). However I was there last night and I found one on our other dog :thumbsup: They were only treated last week. It explains why Jess who has the reaction is still itchy... Tash my dog hasn't had any reactions at all.

Even though they have new bedding and things outside and inside, I'm assuming the fleas are probably in the kennel as well as probably inside.. My brothers vaccumed it but to me that doesn't seem like it'd be enough.

Can they use a flea bomb or similar in the kennel/house? Any recommendations on ones that are dog and cat safe?

Any advice on what they can try would be greatly received. I don't live at home anymore so last night was the first night I actually saw the fleas.

Edited by Bundy's Mum

Remove the animals (including fish and birds!!!) from the house for 24 hours. Close up the whole house, flea bomb as appropriate.

While the occupants are away (maybe at your house? :laugh: ) wash the dogs in flea shampoo (Fidos is a good one) - this may not be suitable for the dog with flea allergies so check with a vet.

Pop them some Capstar tablets available from the supermarket. I don't know anything much about Advantage, but it sounds like the Flea spot-on needs to be reviewed - look at other brands and this should be applied according to the vet or manufacturers directions.

Return to the house after 24 hours, open it up and vacuum every carpet - mop all the floors with Eucalyptus Wool wash. ANY animal bedding should be washed in eucalyptus Wool wash and hot water, and perhaps the human bedding as well.

Once everything is dried and aired - everyone can come home. :thumbsup:

Sounds dramatic but fleas can be a bugger to get rid of!

Keep up the mopping with the Eucalyptus Wool Wash and put a flea collar into the vacuum bag - this kills any little suckers which you are vacuuming up and will help with maintenance for the next "hatching". :mad

Hopefully, the fleas are not in the ground................

Flea bob inside the house & Coopex all over the grounds outside.

Its about $9 or $10 from fodder stores & is used around farms etc.

It says on the packet the area it cover so a few may be need. Dilute as per instructions & apply with a watering can or garden spray.