Obtaining Ankc Prefix With No Id

SwaY

ID to get a prefix  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Should you have to show photo ID to get a prefix

• Yes
    • No

I agree that loopholes need to be tightened...I don't think any ethical registered breeder would argue that and I agree that as the holes are found, ANKC needs to be made aware of them as weird as it sounds, often everyone else thinks someone has reported a problem when in fact, no one has said a word. Quite simply, the head office often isn't aware of the problems til someone speaks up.

However don't kid yourself that Mr.Irrisponsible Breeder can't get his brother in law to cop up a certified copy of his DL....gotta remember, only honest people are concerned about this sort of thing....and most of these folks spin a good tale to anyone that will listen about how mean the ANKC and affiliated state registries are.

I've heard it all before in reference to a breeder that was banned by the CKC for life...can never show in their system, nor breed dogs that are registered with them....so she registers (sometimes) with the UKC, the well reknowned 'we're register anything "registration"' and will shout to the rooftops that SHE is the one that chose to NOT use CKC because they wanted such things as limited registrations and that breeders should permanently identify (tattoo or chip) before the pups left the breeder and *gasp* make sure that buyers get registration papers as per canadian law.....you would not beleive how many people beleive this load of crap, and how many have stood in line to help this schyster!

• 9 months later...

UPDATE!!b :laugh:

From Dogs Vic website

To become a member of DOGS Victoria simply complete the membership form and submit it to DOGS Victoria for processing along with a photocopy of a document showing your residential address, for example drivers licence or rate notice.

Dogs QLD

New Prefix - Please Note: Proof of Residential Address MUST be attached to this form

Anyone can have more than one prefix, you are not allowed to have more than one prefix for the same breed with the same owners.

eg. if prefix "Smith" has A Jones and B Jones as members for Golden Retrievers then prefix "Smitha" can not be owned by A Jones and B Jones as members for Golden Retrievers. But if it is owned by A Jones, B Jones and C Jones as members for Golden Retrievers then it would be allowable.

I beg to differ on your opinion here wayrod....

We were granted a prefix (which hubby added to our selection of prefix choices - our last choice on the list of 9) and when we got it we decided we didn't like it so we submitted another application (yes paid again too) with 2 choices only under our same names for the same breed and we were granted the prefix we use now. This was 12 months ago. We have two current prefix for the same breed under the exact same names at the exact same address but don't use the first one and will not renew it when the time comes.

Edited by Rottsup

Anyone can have more than one prefix, you are not allowed to have more than one prefix for the same breed with the same owners.

eg. if prefix "Smith" has A Jones and B Jones as members for Golden Retrievers then prefix "Smitha" can not be owned by A Jones and B Jones as members for Golden Retrievers. But if it is owned by A Jones, B Jones and C Jones as members for Golden Retrievers then it would be allowable.

I will disagree on this as well.

When I called just before xmas, I was told -

1st Prefix you nominate your breed, but it can be for All Breeds. I questioned them why nominate then, they had no answer :laugh:

1st can breed, breeds in 2 +3 aswell

2nd Has to be for a specific breed only

3rd Has to be for a specific breed different breed to 2nd

ETA missing a little bit

Edited by SwaY

UPDATE!! :rofl:

Dogs VIC

To become a member of DOGS Victoria simply complete the membership form and submit it to DOGS Victoria for processing along with a photocopy of a document showing your residential address, for example drivers licence or rate notice.

Dogs QLD

New Prefix - Please Note: Proof of Residential Address MUST be attached to this form

Dogs ACT

NO PREFIX APPLICATION WILL BE PROCESSED WITHOUT EVIDENCE OF RESIDENCE

WITHIN THE AUSTRALIAN CAPITAL TERRITORY ATTACHED

(such as copy of rates notice, electricity account, telephone account etc).

I have checked the websites/application forms etc and it's not listed on them.

I will chase it up :(

NT ?

TAS ?

Dogs SA ?

Showing ID may benefit, but what stops someone from getting a spouse or parent or friend to sign up with a prefix for the shifty breeder? Absolutely nothing...we can't prove that we that have memberships or breeder prefixes are actually the ones that really do the breeding unless we get back into 'breedmasters' and that simply wouldn't go over well in this society I don't think!

no but it is a step in the right direction

UPDATE!! :crossfingers:

Dogs VIC

Dogs QLD

Dogs ACT

NO PREFIX APPLICATION WILL BE PROCESSED WITHOUT EVIDENCE OF RESIDENCE

WITHIN THE AUSTRALIAN CAPITAL TERRITORY ATTACHED

(such as copy of rates notice, electricity account, telephone account etc).

I have checked the websites/application forms etc and it's not listed on them.

I will chase it up :thumbsup:

NT ?

TAS ?

Dogs SA ?

oops I didn't see the quote I replied to was an almost 1 year old post.

That's great news and a step in the right direction.

Rottsup: This may have occurred due to WACA allowing for the additional prefix (same breed) as no litters had been registered under the original prefix.

A number of years ago at ANKC conference and administrators conference it was attempted to only allow one prefix per membership, no matter if it involved one breed or multiple breeds (this was attempted in order to identify the number of ?”puppy farmer” members that may have been registering puppies via ANKC member bodies), unfortunately at the time the computer system as well as individual requirements of each state did not contribute favourably and the matter was placed on a backburner. Had there been one set of ANKC Rules/Regulations and not requirements of individual states then this may have been achieved.

The requirements for the ANKC National Breeder Registrar prefix approval under part 10 of ANKC Regulations are:

Note: Where you see (10/00) this indicates that that paragraph/regulation was altered at that month/year.

REGULATIONS

PART 10

NATIONAL PREFIX REGISTER

(Revised 7th June, 1991/Approved 1st November 1991)

Amended

May 1998

October 2000

May 2001

October 2001

May 2002

May 2004

January 2006

March 2010

AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL KENNEL COUNCIL

REGULATIONS FOR THE CONDUCT OF THE NATIONAL PREFIX REGISTER

1. Each ANKC Member Body shall receive applications for registration of prefixes, from

members residing in the State or Territory under their control, and shall forward them

to the National Prefix Registrar for processing.

2. The National Prefix Registrar shall deal only with the ANKC Member Body and shall

not enter into discussion, or correspondence with any person without the express

approval of the Member Body through which the application was lodged.

3. The applications shall be submitted on the prescribed form, and shall include two (2)

alternative selections of names in order of preference.

4. A prefix name application is accepted by the National Prefix Register subject to

renewal annually, in the State or Territory in which it is registered.

5. An annual maintenance fee shall be charged for all “prefix” on file in the National

Prefix Register as at 31st March each year, or such other time as resolved by the

National Prefix Registrar. The fee shall be as prescribed by the ANKC Conference

from time to time.

6. A prefix which remains in the Register, and is shown as unfinancial for five (5)

consecutive years, shall be transferred to an “inactive file” for a further period of five

(5) years, after which time the prefix will be eligible to be reallocated as a prefix.

(10/00)

(Note - The animal registration system requires that where progeny have been

registered bearing the prefix in their name it is essential the prefix not be purged from

the file.)

7. A Prefix name shall:

(a) be limited to one (1) word consisting of not less than four (4) letters and not

more than twelve (12) letters; (03/10)

(b) not include numbers, whether in numerals or words;

© not include apostrophes, hyphens, or punctuation marks of any kind,

however no restrictions shall be placed on the use of the words “von” or

“vom”.

(d) not include names that are misleading as to sex, or relationship, or any word

which may be considered offensive including Surname/First Name, Common

Dog Name eg: Celtic – Phoenix. (01/06)

(e) not be identical to, or similar in spelling, or phonetically, to a prefix name

already registered, which could be deemed to cause misunderstanding, or

confusion. Wherever possible, prefix registered with Canine Controlling

Bodies overseas shall be protected.

(f) not include the name of any breed of dog. (10/00)

8. A prefix name, once accepted and registered shall not be altered, or amended in any

manner whatsoever. The name may be cancelled and a new name submitted,

however, the new name shall be deemed to be a new application, and processed as

such.

9. Where a prefix is jointly owned by persons residing in more than one (1) State and/or

Territory, the use of the prefix in each of the States and/or Territories in which the

joint owners reside is permissible without transfer, providing the prefix name is

registered, and maintained, in each State and/or Territory in which the prefix name is

to be used. The registration procedures in each State or Territory in which the prefix

is to be used shall apply for all registration purposes.

10. Appeals

Where an objection is raised to the registration of a prefix name, the objection must

be in writing, and lodged with the ANKC Member Body in the state or Territory in

which the objector resides.

(a) Where an objection is raised to a prefix registered with the ANKC Member

Body in the State or Territory in which the objector resides - the objection

shall be considered by that Member Body, and the decision of that Member

Body shall be final.

(b) Where an objection is raised to a prefix registered with the ANKC Member

Body in another State or Territory to that in which the objector resides - the

objection shall be referred to the National Prefix Registrar who shall consider

the objection and decide what action, if any, be taken.

© Where a Member Body is unwilling to accept the decision of the Registrar,

the Member Body may lodge an appeal with the ANKC Administrator for

consideration by Delegates at the next ANKC Conference. The decision of

the ANKC Conference shall be final and binding on all parties.

11. The applications may be submitted by mail, or fax to expedite delivery, and

notification of acceptance or rejection shall be returned, wherever possible, within

seven (7) days from the date of receipt.

12. The National Prefix Registrar shall, wherever possible, ensure that the person in

control of the Prefix Register is conversant with Prefix names, to ensure the integrity

of the file is maintained.

13. A membership may only register one Prefix for a particular breed of dog, but that

Prefix may be used by the membership for other breeds. (05/02)

“Membership” – any category of membership which under the Rules of the Member

Body is entitled to register a Prefix.