Dog And Foster Cat

Lhok

Just wondering about this

My other half and I are fostering a kitten at the moment. The kitten is a little boy between the age of 6-7 weeks and since he is so small I have been letting my dog get used to his smell and appearance for a couple of days now.

However I have noticed my lab's behaviour has changed a bit, she seems to cry and carry on when the kitten is mewing ( we have him set up in the bathroom at the moment due to toilet training and him being so small we don't want to see him harmed).

Also when we have the kitten out my lab goes into her crate and all the while she is crying unless the kitten is in her view, Once the kitten is back in the bathroom she races around the house trying to find him and the last couple of times we had them both out she licked the kitten.

I am just wondering if this is ok behaviour as this is the first time my dog has been around a cat and my first time of trying to introduce animals to each other.

--Lhok

Sounds to me like your lab is very maternal and is wanting to mother the kitten. I could be wrong but honestly that's what it sounds like to me.

I agree, I once brought home a feral kitty (about 4 weeks old) and my bitch mothered it and started making milk for it :D . The bitch had not yet had a litter.

Sounds to me like your lab is very maternal and is wanting to mother the kitten. I could be wrong but honestly that's what it sounds like to me.

Or she wants to eat it.

I would be VERY careful. You need to watch her body language and take it very slowly. Dogs in prey drive will get very excited (tail erect, wagging, ears forward, eyes wide, etc) and may also lick the kitten and seem friendly. But its not always what it seems. You need to teach her to be gentle and to back off. I would discourage licking (tasting LOL) and encourage calm, quiet behaviour.