Where Will Your Next Dog Come From

poodlefan

Where will your next dog come from?  

287 members have voted

1. 1. I will get my next dog from

• DOL listed registered breeder
    • Other Registered Breeder (ANKC or other register)
    • Rescue Organisation
    • Shelter
    • Pound
    • RSPCA
    • Non registered Breeder
    • Pet Shop
    • Other
  2. 2. My next dog will be

• A pup
    • A mature dog
    • A senior dog
  3. 3. DOL Forum Membership has influenced this decision

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Clover

Who know's, could be a registered breeder, rescue, shelter etc. I will know when the right dog comes along, but not for another 2 years or so :grouphug:.

Our next dog is going to be an American Staffy pup. Not for a few years though!

Bought from a registered, reputable breeder. Not necessarily on DOL though. I would never buy from a pet shop, but years ago I would have bought from the paper etc. I know better now :) If I was after an older dog I'd rescue.

Guest *Pixie*

It will really depend on where I am and what I'm after at the time - either another Aussie from River's breeder, a pup bred by me or another muttley rescue dog like my Brody and Holly.

DOL has influenced my decision but not all that positively, I'm very wary of a number of registered breeders and rescue groups after some of the things I've seen here and would be reluctant to deal with one I didn't know already.

I won't be getting another dog for a few years yet but wouldn't get a puppy. Probably a retired showdog, but I wouldn't say no to a rescue dog but I'd prefer a pure bred next time.

My mother has a retired showdog from a DOL breeder and also a rescued King Charles Cavalier from the RSPCA (ex puppy farm dog rescued in a raid, poor Charlotte). Both dogs are wonderful with beautiful, gentle temperaments and are pretty good friends too.

Edited by Ripley

People often mention that they wouldn't buy from a pet shop, BYB or puppy farmer, but would buy from a rescue. I had an impression that the majority of rescues come from the places these people wouldn't buy a puppy from and I am thinking what's the difference other than the rescue dog being more mature???. :D

People often mention that they wouldn't buy from a pet shop, BYB or puppy farmer, but would buy from a rescue. I had an impression that the majority of rescues come from the places these people wouldn't buy a puppy from and I am thinking what's the difference other than the rescue dog being more mature???. :D

The difference is that as adults the rescue dogs are generally health checked and they have their behaviour assessed, before they are adopted out. The poor little pups from pet shops that developed problems as they grow may never even make it to rescue, their problems may be too great.

As pups, well bred and well-raised purebred dogs are always going to have a lot more potential than carelessly bred and badly raised dogs.

Once the dog is an adult, no matter what its beginnings, what you see is what you get. So you don't have the risks inherent in buying a pup of mystery genetics. You can see the dog for itself. You can see what its coat is like, you can see if it behaves aggressively, you can see what size it is, how sound its bone structure is and you can see how gentle it is. There is no way you can tell all that if you bought a pup from a pet shop or byb.

Also, when you buy a rescue dog, the money you pay has not really covered the true cost of preparing that dog for sale. You are getting a bargain. Rescues are non-profits and charities, they just want to save dogs from dying needlessly. When you buy a pet shop or byb pup, you are getting very poor value for money, and you are encouraging more bad dog breeding.

Not everyone wants to buy a pup, and if somebody wants an adult dog they should judge that particular dog on its own merits, and not dismiss a dog because of an unfortunate start to life.

People often mention that they wouldn't buy from a pet shop, BYB or puppy farmer, but would buy from a rescue. I had an impression that the majority of rescues come from the places these people wouldn't buy a puppy from and I am thinking what's the difference other than the rescue dog being more mature???. :thumbsup:

The big difference is that you're not supporting people who breed and keep dogs in appalling conditions.

Buy from a rescue, the money goes back into rescue.

Buy from a BYB/puppy farm/pet store, the money goes back into those places. It's about the principle for many people.

Always a pedigree but not necessarily from a DOL breeder.

I think I got lucky with our poodle in that we ended up pretty much by pure luck getting a wonderful breeder, but from the very experienced people on the poodle sub forum I have learnt so much and will be better prepared when we're shopping around for the next one.

Thru these forums I discovered breed specific rescue and the wonderful job they do to match you up with the right dog - so with our 2nd dog being from collie rescue I have to answer "yes", DOL has already influenced my decision as to where I've gotten a dog.

We are hoping to breed our next dog. :thumbsup:

But if that wasn't the case it would be an Aussie Shepherd or Irish Terrier to show and possibly breed from, from reg breeders who happen to be listed on DOL but are also all great friends. :cry:

DOL hasn't changed where I would get a dog from but it has made me talk to others about where to get their next dog from.

People often mention that they wouldn't buy from a pet shop, BYB or puppy farmer, but would buy from a rescue. I had an impression that the majority of rescues come from the places these people wouldn't buy a puppy from and I am thinking what's the difference other than the rescue dog being more mature???. :thumbsup:

The difference is that as adults the rescue dogs are generally health checked and they have their behaviour assessed, before they are adopted out. The poor little pups from pet shops that developed problems as they grow may never even make it to rescue, their problems may be too great.

As pups, well bred and well-raised purebred dogs are always going to have a lot more potential than carelessly bred and badly raised dogs.

Once the dog is an adult, no matter what its beginnings, what you see is what you get. So you don't have the risks inherent in buying a pup of mystery genetics. You can see the dog for itself. You can see what its coat is like, you can see if it behaves aggressively, you can see what size it is, how sound its bone structure is and you can see how gentle it is. There is no way you can tell all that if you bought a pup from a pet shop or byb.

Also, when you buy a rescue dog, the money you pay has not really covered the true cost of preparing that dog for sale. You are getting a bargain. Rescues are non-profits and charities, they just want to save dogs from dying needlessly. When you buy a pet shop or byb pup, you are getting very poor value for money, and you are encouraging more bad dog breeding.

Not everyone wants to buy a pup, and if somebody wants an adult dog they should judge that particular dog on its own merits, and not dismiss a dog because of an unfortunate start to life.

From a health and temperament aspect along with the physical shape of the adult dog, the finished product is far more desirable than in puppy form which was essentially then a lucky dip. Thanks for the insight Greytmate :cry:

The big difference is that you're not supporting people who breed and keep dogs in appalling conditions.

Buy from a BYB/puppy farm/pet store, the money goes back into those places. It's about the principle for many people.

I understand this reasoning, but isn't the rescue a third party outlet in support of the BYB, pet shop and puppy farmed dogs???.

People often mention that they wouldn't buy from a pet shop, BYB or puppy farmer, but would buy from a rescue. I had an impression that the majority of rescues come from the places these people wouldn't buy a puppy from and I am thinking what's the difference other than the rescue dog being more mature???. :banghead:

I understand this reasoning, but isn't the rescue a third party outlet in support of the BYB, pet shop and puppy farmed dogs???.

How so? It's not like you are putting money back into their pockets.

I get where people are coming from saying that pounds are third party and all that to backyard breeders, I have thought about this myself - BUT - just think about what would happen to those puppies and dogs if there were no rescues around....

If there were no rescues around it would not prevent these puppies from being born or these older dogs from being dumped. By buying from these places you are NOT supporting backyard breeders you are preserving the lives of these dogs and puppies.

One day I may buy from a registered breeder but I am not 100% sure about that, the one thing I do know is that as much as I love rescuing older dogs my next dog IS going to be a puppy. My last 3 dogs have all been mature when I got them, I have not had a puppy since 1992 and I now feel I have learnt so much (from DOL and other places) and have so much knowledge to offer to a puppy to give it the best possible start to life and a great agility career, I might be nearly ready to get one!

People often mention that they wouldn't buy from a pet shop, BYB or puppy farmer, but would buy from a rescue. I had an impression that the majority of rescues come from the places these people wouldn't buy a puppy from and I am thinking what's the difference other than the rescue dog being more mature???. :banghead:

There are many differences as I see it.

You're saving a dogs life but not lining the pockets of an irresponsible or unethical breeder.

Mature rescue dogs are known quantities, not lotteries.

It's not the dogs' fault where they come from.