What To Feed My Golden Pup

I have a 15 week old Golden, the breeder was feeding them cooked chicken mince and Pedigree Puppy dry food. When I got her I changed her to Pedigree Puppy tinned food (for convenience) and Supercoat Puppy (because once upon a time this was a good brand)

Im not terribly happy with Supercoat, she is shedding her puppy coat and her new coat is very dry, and she is like a constant pooping machine, after reading a lot of people say on here that they wouldnt feed their dogs Supercoat Im fairly convinced I want to change

From what Ive read the brands to go for are Advance, Eagle Pack, Royal Canin and Pro Plan, my agility club also recommends Pro Pac, but they are sponsored by Pro Pac so I dont know how much of that recommendation is influenced by that, does anyone have any advice on picking a new brand? I still have a lot of Supercoat left, but I wont be buying more of it so the sooner I find a new brand the sooner I can start changing them over

I want to get rid of the tinned food completely, but until I can save up for a freezer in order to freeze raw chicken meat the tinned stuff is here to stay. I will be starting my JRT on a new brand as well, probably the same one when I decide...there is too much choice!

What else can I feed them to help their dry coats? I know oil helps but that also makes them gain weight, and neither of them need that

I do all my dog shopping at Pet Barn, so Id like a brand which is available there

Thanks guys

The Eagle Pack Large Breed, or Royal Canin or Pro Plan would be much better than what you are feeding now.

The pooping will be the tinned food, it's better if you just feed a super premium dry for now and turf your tinned food. What you feed her over the next 12 months is most important and you have a large breed so it's ultra important.

If you have no freezer space then dry with sardines once a week, and raw chicken necks or wings would be great. You can buy them fresh by the kilo every few days and dish out an appropriate amount each day. :(

Do your dry food changeover over about 5 days first 2 days 75% supercoat/25% new food then 50/50, then 75% new food and 25% supercoat.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

Are those brands available at Pet Barn? I was too lazy to go today to check brands and prices of what they have in stock lol

I have tried giving her just dry, but she wasnt interested in it, if I put the wet on top of the dry she eats it all, my other dog used to be fed solely tinned food so I dont know if she would accept a fully dry diet either, but I guess if I add the sardines or chicken necks they would be ok

Ive never actually fed chicken necks, are they something that the dogs can eat in one sitting? or do they last a while like bones do? Im only asking because if they last then because Id be feeding it as a meal and not a treat then Id have to supervise the pup...my JRT is definately boss over her

Drop the pal asap that is like feeding ur puppy mcdonald's everyday - u wouldnt eat like that so ur puppy shouldn't - its easy and cheap but its really not good for it at all and as mentioned above she is a large breed so her diet at this age is soo super important, it would be better to feed her a premium dry alone then the pal tinned IMO - until u get the freezer that is :(

Necks will be gone in about a second flat lol

Edited by kirst_goldens

lol dont worry Im dropping the Pal, she has 6 tins left, and Im considering just mixing that with my JRTs feed, after all she is used to it and has done all her growing, and she has more dry than wet, the wet is really just to get her to eat the dry

I really with I had joined this forum a lot earlier, I really want to help her bone development early because I dont want her having joint issues when she is older, I have plans to get her trained for agility when she is old enough so she will need good strong bones lol

How often do you recommend the chicken necks? one daily or just a couple of times a week? Ill go out and buy some tomorrow

Edited by GoldenGirl85

my boy is a JRT and he has like 2-3 a day but he is on a raw natural diet so he eats alot of bones and raw meat - i suggest looking into a raw diet if u will have the time and dedication?? do a search on here there has been a billion topics on raw feeding have a read and see if u think its a good idea for ur situation?

my boy is a JRT and he has like 2-3 a day but he is on a raw natural diet so he eats alot of bones and raw meat - i suggest looking into a raw diet if u will have the time and dedication?? do a search on here there has been a billion topics on raw feeding have a read and see if u think its a good idea for ur situation?

lol, Ive been reading this forum all day waiting to get approved and now Im so overwhelmed Im a little confused and muddled, which is why I decided to make a thread of my own on the topic

Is there any threads which come to mind which you find really helpful in regards to the raw diet?

Thanks for that, Ill give it a read

Just a query, does raw end up costing more, less or generally the same as dry/tinned would? just asking because Im feeding two dogs, and Im used to only feeding one JRT, and Im on a budget, I want the best for my dogs, but it needs to be affordable

Personally, I wouldn't be feeding a large breed pup a raw diet, particularly if you are new to raw. They need a specific balance of calcium and phosphorus and if you get this wrong, it can affect growth. Once your pup has finished its main growth period, then by all means look into raw, but until then, I'd stick to a high quality dry.

I'd go with the brands already suggested - Eagle Pack, Royal Canin, Pro Plan. You can add mince to this for flavour, or sardines etc. If you add mince, keep it raw - it's better for them.

Meaty bones like chicken wings, brisket bones, turkey necks are also great.

To answer your question about Pro Pac - we've stocked it for quite a while now - long enough to see puppies of all sizes raised on it well into adult hood. The Large Breed puppy is an excellent super premium food without quite the price tag of some others. As you are in Qld and that is where the wholesaler is, there should be a number of outlets in your area that stock it.

Sags

To answer your question about Pro Pac - we've stocked it for quite a while now - long enough to see puppies of all sizes raised on it well into adult hood. The Large Breed puppy is an excellent super premium food without quite the price tag of some others. As you are in Qld and that is where the wholesaler is, there should be a number of outlets in your area that stock it.

Sags

How much is it for a large bag?

That will vary between retailers I imagine. I'm happy to pm you our price (rrp) once I'm back at work, but you're better off contacting a local supplier as you'll be dealing with them.

Sags

:D

Edited by Sagittarian

Thanks Sags that will be great, I just want an estimate, Im going to Pet Barn to see what they have in stock and compare products and prices today, I dont think they sell Pro Pac but If I decide to go with that then I can get it off my agility club, which Ill be going to tonight

Edited by GoldenGirl85

Ok well I think Ill be going with Royal Canin Junior for Lexi, then of course on to the Retriever variety when she is older, and for my JRT Ill be going with Science Diet Sensitive Skin

I think Ill start feeding sardines once a week, and she will be getting chicken necks instead of tin, although Ill be phasing the tin out slowly, I am going on holidays for two weeks in a fortnight, and I want to keep her on tin until I get home again, more convenient that way

Ive seen some people say they feed natural yoghurt and eggs, what do these do for the dogs?

Guest belgian.blue

I find Proplan to be a very great dry food.

My girl is on the sensitive salmon and rice and is doing wonders on it. She is just over a year and a half.

Not overly expensive and avail in stores.

I feed Holistic Select large and giant breed, it is one of the more expensive brands but it has no wheat/yeast or soy and I have been happy with it. I am changing to the Salmon, Sardine and Anchovy version just because at this time of year my boy suffers allergies and I will do what i can to help him stop itching. I have looked at feeding all raw and for a lab I would need to feed such a lot of raw food and we dont have the freezer space, plus bones are a no go for my boy.

i find raw to be the same cost but i am only feeding one dag at current and i am new to raw feeding so maybe some others could help you there, i know of plenty of people and breeders who raise their puppies on raw but as mentioned maybe avoid if you are not confident in researching and making sure its right - it requires a bit of dedication and if ur short on time and patience i would give it a miss LOL i would reccomend looking into it for when the pup is older though definatley... :(