Anyone Following The Iditarod?

Missymoo

What happens with the dogs they leave at checkpoints? Saw a couple of the recent episodes and they had a 'dog drop off point' and mentioned them being 'sent home'. Do the organisers arrange for the dogs to be transported back to a home base where the competitors collect them from or something?

All dogs are either transported back to anchorage or up to nome, where the mushers have organised people to pick them up. Until they are picked up their are cared for by volunteers and vets.

I love following this race, you can really get sucked into it, and it's amazing what the dogs and their mushers accomplish.

It is a truly beautiful place to have such a great race!

when i was dog sledding in the states i always wanted to run the Iditarod....

sadly :D it never happened.........

but i have to say........if you ever get a chance to run on the snow it is such a blast!

nothing as peaceful as running a 14 dog team out in the open trails!

I keep an eye on it, it is a pretty popular dog sport in the northern (great lakes area) States, Canada and Alaska. We have sled dog races and competitions in MN and surrounding states, but of course the Iditarod is the most famous.

Lots of cool info at this sight: ISDRA

LOL, you'd be the toast of the town, press just loves odd stories about people coming from all over the world to compete in sled races..especially if they come from an area not real famous for the snowfall :cheer:

Edited by Lynai