Stairs And Dogs

APBT

My Girl had the problem with her Ligament damage to her knee cap a while back now, doctor didn't say surgery and just anti inflams and rest for a few weeks,

Just wondering its been a while now at least 3 months and the leg is still dodgy, shes always sprinting up and down the back stairs which is about 15 steps

and cant really help her running around the yard when im not home, i haven't been hand walking much at all lately but have started the last 2 days and just wondering would it help the knee to strengthen, and maybe tire her out.

Having Danes, we ramp our stairs, could this be an option for you?

Our last home had about 15 stairs that we ramped, it can be done granted you have to room to ramp out so it's not too steep.

My vet also put my dog on rest due to a knee and back issue however I felt it was important to get him some exercise so that his muscles didn't waste and so the vet okayed a few short walks a day. With his case it was said going down stairs wasn't a problem but coming up them. We've blocked the stairs leading into the garden (ours is also 15 or so steps). It is important to run the idea of the walks by your vet though (give them a call and ask over the phone).

Also what type of anti-inflammatories are they if you're still on them? I had my dog on Rimadyl and that did nothing for his leg so the vet changed him to Macrolone. It depends how your dog exhibits pain.. my dog is really lethargic when his pain meds don't work but when there's adequate relief he'd take any excuse to bound here and there. Nevertheless his leg is still much better than before despite being active on it, so you might want to have a look at whether the anti-inflamm ur on is effective? If ur no longer on conventional meds for anti-inflammatory support you could consider fish oil?

Edited by sezling

not sure what anti inflams they were but the vet sed to only use them for about 4 days, with or without them she dosent show the pain so it makes it harder to tell, but i know she is still favoring her bad leg. im blocking of the stairs today and going to restrict her to one room of the house and a short half an hour walk once a day and see how i go in a week or so, if nothing then its back to the vet.